Options

what about this boat?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

WOOOOHOOOO! congratulations!!! you're the man now!

I assume that's not home... let us know when she's home. when's the first outting?

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I WISH that were home, what a beautiful place this guy has up in pensecola.....I'm shooting for weekend after next, need to get my brake controller installed as well as my weight distribution hitch purchased...if anyone has any experience with one of those I'll take any advice I can. I'm going to have to install it as I'm 600 miles from the trailer....have a few things to update/fix so not sure of the maiden voyage yet but just focused on getting it home.....and then I'll be all over this site to get things up to snuff!  Thanks again to everyone for the advice along the way!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are really simple...

Installing the brake controller will be determined by product, so follow the directions..

Using it goes like this: pull your LOADED trailer at about 25mph or so, on a safe stretch of road, then activate the emergency switch on the controller.. you'll want the dial tuned in such a way that the trailer brakes slow the trailer, and the truck a little.. this allows the loaded trailer to stop independently of the truck..

The distribution hitch is simple, too, but has to be right... The insert receiver will have pivot mounts for the leverage bars.. put the bars in the mounts after you back under the loaded trailer.. there will be clamps that mount on the trailers A frame, and are held in place with a clamping bolt.. the bottom usually has a hook for a chain link.. flip that shackle over, bite enough chain link on the leverage bar to be taught, then pry the shackle over and put the pin in to hold it.. this will all make more sense when you see the system... You'll want the weight leveraged toward the front of the truck, but not too much.. the rule of thumb is when you leverage the link with the lever on the shackle, you don't want to be really stressed... I've found if using the lever takes more than one arms strength without using my back, I've bitten too much.
  • Options
    I've been looking at some you tubes on setting the trailer up, keeping the truck at pretty much level by adjusting the chains I guess...figure it won't be to bad. I'm going to look at it more tonight as I need to get one ordered and assume one works about the same as the next. I will have the brake controller installed by U Haul unless I see they are pretty simple to install as well...I'm pretty handy but that electrical stuff....

With regard to putting the boat on the trailer, does if have straps in the rear or is it just weight with the winch strap in the front? Will be about a 600 mile trip first time towing anything this big but will be pretty much I-10 to 95 and then I-4 which dumps right by my house. I plan on keeping it at my house for a while but concerned about the pitch of my driveway...lots of stuff to work out for sure!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The weight distribution hitch is pretty easy to use once you see how it hooks up, my wife handled one on an old horse trailer by herself for years.  I might even still have the hitch and bars now that I think about it and have no use for them anymore.  I'd have to dig a trench through the snow to try and find them in my shed though.

You do need straps for the rear of the boat!  Tire chocks are handy on the incline.  For ever needing to change a tire look at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Tandem-Tire-Changing-Ramp/dp/B000I4JPZE

Works like a charm with a loaded trailer.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    If your truck has the towing package, or is even has the option of that option, it likely has the harness for the controller tucked under the dash..

If the truck has a seven pin trailer connection stock, I'd almost promise it has the ready harness under the dash.
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    ....and probably has the connector still in a bag in the glove box.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    that tire change thing is pretty cool! If I had the time I would order it...will take my jack stands and a floor jack and stuff to put on the ground etc. And, I did order a controller that just hit the house today and it came with it's own harness that plugs into the under dash plug...have not seen the plug yet but agree it should be there, truck has the tow package and the round and flat connectors for the trailer.  as far as the strap on the back, would it be one that goes over the top of the transom? I don't see any hooks in the transom to hook straps to......I'm going to take a picture of my driveway and see if you all think I can chalk the darn thing and keep it from ending up in the street.  I was thinking about knocking out some concrete so I can put some poles in the ground ahead of the chalks from moving......hope I don't have to do all that but it's a pretty good incline. I think I'd get in trouble if I left it to long in the street and it would destroy my grass and irriagation system if I put it in my front yard...
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

Make your own "tire change thing" for a couple of bucks from a piece of 2X6. The link below is one example. Personally I cut my boards with an angle so there is more of a "slope" to pul up on and I put a piece on the back as a "stop" although it is entirely unnecessary. Of course I also went overboard and sanded and painted mine, but really, just take a 2X6, cut it into 3 pieces each a little shorter than the other, nail them together and voila!

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/feature/simple-jack.html

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    well...getting closer to the big day...very concerned about the trailer brakes..this is a 2005 4 wheel disc brake set up with electric.  He used the trailer only a couple of times, never used enough to register it. I suspect he did not wash down the trailer when he launched the boat when he bought this new,or just sitting for all this time the brakes are all cruded up and stuck. I had gotten on you tube and found a couple good "tubes" but danged if I can find them now. My questions: I thought I saw there was some sort of tab when pulled you could stick a screwdriver in a slot near the brake cylinder to pump/activate the brakes without hooking up- to bleed or just test the brakes. Another question is the bearing buddies- I want to pack the bearings and to get the hubs off, **** do the bearing buddies come off? I think the trailer is in "new" condition but has just sat so I don't expect electrical problems, just maintenance that needs to be done for my 600 mile trip! Givre me the low down on getting this trailer ready for the road. I will have a couple spares to work with...
  • Options
    that was how do the bearing buddies come off?
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Your seacock is hardwired to ground
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Hate to say it but you'll find those electric drum brakes pretty much as useless as a painted steel trailer in saltwater after a single season..... and you absolutely have to pull the hubs and re-pack them to have a safe trip. Also don't leave without an extra hub and bearing assembly as a spare with all the tools to do a change out on the road. Stop and check your hubs for heat OFTEN and always be wary of a hung brake pad if the truck seems to be laboring at speed. Make sure your BoatUS trailer boat policy has the highest coverage for a breakdown.

That said, it's not impossible to do a SS disc brake upgrade in a driveway if you have to replace the electric drums anyway. A hydraulic disc upgrade is mostly a bolt-on upgrade that will last the life of the trailer even in saltwater with a casual washdown when you rinse the trailer.

It'll certainly take some penetrating oil and probably some serious heat and percussive tools(IE hammers and blood) to get all the old junk off/apart but the Kodiak SS 4 disc set I put on my trailer was a really simple install compared to the endless maintenance I found with electric drum brakes down here. Nothing beats the feel of the trailer brakes controling that 10,000lb rig/boat at a predictable pace, especially when some nut cuts you off and it's pucker time.

Best of luck with your brakes and trip. Mike

PS those bearing buddys will come off by tapping around the side of the cap in a circular motion, slowly working it off in tiny increments. I use a quality pair of rubber/surgical type disposable gloves and an old shop towel laid out under the hub to catch any fumbled parts. Don't cheap out on the grease, buy good stuff. If a hub is loosing grease or warmer than about 130* there's a problem and you're on borrowed time. I check my hubs and tires with a $30 infra red heat gun (and a touch test) like an OCD nut to avoid a roadside rebuild at all costs. Any indication of an issue is call for investigation in a safe spot/parking lot.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

interestingly, after a 35-45 minute trip, some of my hubs are warm/hot to the touch, some are not.

• Options
    Hey BA, Just so this doesn't run off on another tangent as a trailer thread..... In my shop, any difference in a hubs temp indicates there is an issue that should be dealt with. If it's so hot that it's uncomfortable to leave your finger on it then it's serious. Inconsistent tire temps are equally important and can indicate an uneven load or a failing tire.

Ras has a rather big load at 10,000 lbs+/- and a very long pull so I'd always err on the side of avoiding a remote roadside hub/breakdown disaster at all costs. The consequences are just too severe to play russian roulette with other highway travelers or the expense of towing the whole rig and ending up at a goober mechanic shop who has you trapped and broke down. Self sufficiency if at all possible is my long pull rule. I'm kinda like Ralphies dad in the Christmas story when it comes to changing a roadside tire.  :D
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    If I we're rebuilding a hub, I wouldn't go with bearing buddy's anymore... I'd go with the liquid oil hubs that have the site glass to the exterior.. you can use motor or gear, whichever oil you choose, and you can get an actual interior temperature with an ir gun as well as spot contamination instantly... Pretty slick, I think they are, no pun intended. :-)
  • Options
    Oh.. some of them have pressure lines between axles (tandem rigs), that allow for heat dissipation, which means in a perfect scenario, you'll see hardly more than ambient temperature while being used... Again, pretty slick concept.
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    "OH, FUUUUUUUDGE! Only I didn't say fudge!" Best Christmas movie ever!
  • Options
    "You used up all the glue on purpose!!!" LOL
    That'd be way off topic but yeah, funny movie.

When Ras gets this boat home itll time to wrap this thread anyway. Been a real drama. 6pgs and counting. A great effort by a good group of boaters.
  • Options
    I posted a comment last night but don't see it....my brakes are not drum they are already disk, just crudded up .....so, I'm packing up my stuff (just bought the infa ray heat gun Mike) and will have tools, air,and hopeful good weather and here we go!
  • Options
    Well, we got it home......the "plan" did not work at all however!  The weight distribution hitch did not fit.  The arms were way to short and the brackets that would go over the rail of the trailer were to small.  There is an awful lot of reach between the hitch ball and the rails of the trailer with the actuator being so long.....when I went to work on the brakes and pull a wheel off, I spun the lug (not the lug itself but the thread, they are spinning in the hub) so I gave up on that.  At that point, I'm 600 miles from home, the next day the bottom is supposed to fall out on the weather so, I told my wife, let's put it on the trailer and see what it looks like as he had it stored on a lift. Loaded on the trailer, the truck pulled it out nicely which I was concerned about and it actually did not squat the truck very much.  We drove it down the street to see how it felt and well, we just kept going. About 10 hours or so of driving at 50mph max and back to Sanford we were last night. I kept checking the hub temps and praying I did not blow a tire.  Had two spares but don't know if I could have put them on or not....

So, I guess that is the end of this thread but not the end of my questions for sure. I don't have a lot of work to do on it other than cosmetic stuff but I'm sure stuff will come up. I know this thread has had a lot of views and assume there are a lot of future boat owners tempted to take the plunge that have been watching as well as some seasoned owners getting a chuckle out all my exploits on getting this boat. I can only say it's all worth it and again I appreciate everyone's input in getting me in way over my head on a very large boat. Man, they look so much bigger sitting in my front yard as opposed to seeing one at a boat show or in the water. Anyway, it's mine now and I can't wait to make a couple minor repairs and get it in the water, after reviewing all the info he gave me and understanding how everything works first!

More to follow I'm sure....
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    Ras, that's great to hear! Can't wait to see pics!! You'll get used to that size real quick & how small it looks when half of it disappears in the water. Enjoy & get her out on the water before the temps go up on you!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Nice wrap up. WOW! Whatta tale. 600mi w/o ever knowing how the trailer had been kept up, or even checking bearings or brakes, and knowing the whole pull that the lugs won't be agreeable if something goes wrong.... lol. You are living right my friend.

Yeah it's a beast sitting up on the trailer. I can imagine that it's a bit intimidating sitting in your driveway. Well now you know the truck can pull it fine and it's time to replace those hubs/lugs/brakes so you feel total confidence in hauling it to the ramp on a spontaneous spring weekend. Aside from the endless canvas thread it's the longest and most interesting thread I've seen on the forum in a long time.

Now get it in the water and start those BUs (boat unit$$) flowing. :D  And yeah, we're all happy to help someone get in over their head in a nice boat... Cya on the water.  Mike

PS. Check in with the CFCC (FACEBOOK PG LINK) (WEBSITE LINK) up in Orlando. They're a very active but casual trailer boat/cruising club that'd be a nice support group in your area. One of their members just bought the restaurant at Boat Tree Marina in Sanford by the I-4 bridge on the St Johns. A nice stop in itself. here's a pic. All that's missing is you and your crew.... but that won't be long now. :D

• Options
    Have been there many times over many owners/years. We usually put in at the ramp around the corner. We boat there to Silver Glen on the weekends, kind of "our turf". Looking forward to doing more inter costal from around Jax to the other end.......and back over to Cayo Costa which so far my favorite area to date. We have a place bugging us to book in July but thinking of doing something different.