Options

Purchasing 2006 FV 270

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
hello, I am about to purchase this boat and I am interested in anyone's opinion on this year and model...both pros and cons.  Especially anything I should be looking for during survey.  Has 200hrs on 350 merc.  I appreciate the input everyone.

patrick 
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, happy shopping!  I own a 2011 Rinker 260 EC.  Great boat.  My only issue is beam, at 8.5ft wide, it's a bit tight, but you really need to go into a 32 foot boat to get a nice step up in beam, and that's a few more $$.  I'd imagine the FV270 is similar to the 260EC (28'10" Length Overall).  It's a great boat. It pretty much has everything I need. What I enjoy about it is:

- can sleep 4 people onboard

- has a head and shower

- has a galley with a 12V/110V fridge and microwave (also has a stove top but don't use that much).

- has AC

- has a TV

- engine is pretty good with a Merc 350MAG, I think it performs well enough with it.

I don't think you will be disappointed. Just make sure the previous owner treated it well, especially the engine.  Any boat engine needs proper care and maintenance, otherwise you are asking for problems.

A survey is probably the cheapest piece of mind you can pay for PROVIDED you get a highly recommended surveyor, so ask around.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thank you Mark for the input.  What I really like is its actually a 9'1 beam and I agree about all the amenities it has to offer.  Boat looks to be meticulously maintained but I will see with the survey.  Surveyor I found came through boat us, which I hope means something. With my first surveyor, I really paid the price in his poor efforts.  I have learned my lesson.

anyone know a good surveyor in the Chesapeake Bay Area?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I have the same model and year but with Volvo mech.s. I've been boating over 20 years and I can honestly say it's the best for its size on the market.  You won't be disappointed, enjoy.
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I just had my 2006 270 delivered to its winter resting area. I had mine surveyed couple minor things need work but overall no issues.  Trying to find a winter cover. 

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    robcrobc Member Posts: 10
    I just got 1999 fv27 this summer. I had a sea ray before. We had a great summer with the boat and could not be happier with it. 
  • Options
    Thank you all.  Very excited, survey happens on Friday.  Will let everyone know how it goes.  More comments and info appreciated.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Good luck with survey.  I didn't see this till now or I would've recommended a surveyor.  Curious, where is the boat located?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Thank you all.  Very excited, survey happens on Friday.  Will let everyone know how it goes.  More comments and info appreciated.

I was not overly thrilled with my surveyor, seems the report was not as detailed as I hoped for. Also he failed to report the waste tank was half full. Cost me $150 bucks after I had the boat delivered and blocked to have a special truck come out and pump it out. If I knew that the tank was full I would have made the dealer empty and clean it as a condition of the sale.

Good luck

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My surveyor did a decent job. He was from the Chesapeake Bay area in Maryland. I hope it goes well for you and you are able to enjoy your new boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Good luck with survey.  I didn't see this till now or I would've recommended a surveyor.  Curious, where is the boat located?
    Boat is located at Mears Point Marina, Grasonville MD.  Will docking at colonial beach yacht center.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    chrissyscallchrissyscall Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Mine is an 05 with the 350 mag, great boat!! No issues with planing, much bigger boat than anything in it's class, IMO, good luck!
  • Options
    Good luck with the boat.  I'm sure as you know, Stepps used to be a Rinker Dealer as well. I keep mine at South River Marina, which had been a Rinker Dealer as well.

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Good luck with the boat.  I'm sure as you know, Stepps used to be a Rinker Dealer as well. I keep mine at South River Marina, which had been a Rinker Dealer as well.
    Thank you, really am looking forward to the boat.  At your Marina, are there still Rinker mechanics?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Well, I'm not sure what is classified as a "Rinker" mechanic.  They do have their share of work on Rinkers, but as you know there is nothing specifically different that would state them as "rinker' mechs.  (they work on merc/Volvo just like any other).

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Well, I'm not sure what is classified as a "Rinker" mechanic.  They do have their share of work on Rinkers, but as you know there is nothing specifically different that would state them as "rinker' mechs.  (they work on merc/Volvo just like any other).
    That is what I meant, experience with specifically Rinkers themselves, not just the engines.  Good to know. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are Rinker dealers who have mechanics, and if anything needs to be fixed, that can make it easier to contact the system manufacturer or Rinker to get replacement parts.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Mark for the input.  What I really like is its actually a 9'1 beam and I agree about all the amenities it has to offer.  Boat looks to be meticulously maintained but I will see with the survey.  Surveyor I found came through boat us, which I hope means something. With my first surveyor, I really paid the price in his poor efforts.  I have learned my lesson.

We had a 97 FV 280 before getting our 342.  The 280 had a 10 foot beam.  Now we have 12 foot.  As they say, size matters.  

Good luck with the new boat!! 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:

We had a 97 FV 280 before getting our 342.  The 280 had a 10 foot beam.  Now we have 12 foot.  As they say, size matters.  

Good luck with the new boat!! 
    It certainly does and thank you.  Most of the boats I was looking at had a 8'6'' beam and it was just too tight.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

There are Rinker dealers who have mechanics, and if anything needs to be fixed, that can make it easier to contact the system manufacturer or Rinker to get replacement parts.
    great to know, appreciate it.  I just came from owning a Silverton where there was really no one to speak to about the boat except Silverton Owners. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
  • Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I had a 270, 342 and 260.  Overall the 2003, 270 was the best boat we have ever owned.  I have owned 12 brand new boats.  Never bought a used boat just a weird character flaw I have.   Only time 270 in shop was for winterization and storage.  Eazy to maneuver with the 5.7 bravo 3   

The 06, 342 was the best performing boat with twin 6.2's.  Had the normal shakedown problems after that just normal service.  Actually a person on this forum now owns our old 342.

I bought a 2013, 260 and it went back to the factory twice in one year.  Finally Randy Rinker got it running better.  I would never buy a 260  with genny, 6.2, bravo 3, Air and radar arch again.  To much weight for a small cruiser slow owning time.  I have heard 260 without generator runs pretty sweet.  Would recommend 6.2, bravo 3 without generator.

I have are a great respect for Randy Rinker,  Rinker Products and Happy Days Boating however,  I ordered a new Regal, I guess I just like new boat smell.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Mike, what Regal did you buy, if the question isn't too nosey.....BTW, you're lucky you bought a boat that starts with an "R" - that way you can still post on this forum. LOL .... P.S. Seriously, I hope you do stay on this forum because I've enjoyed and benefitted from your posts over the years :-) MT
  • Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Since we live 5 minutes away from our dock we no longer wanted to drive 2 hours to Lake Erie.  At Lake Erie we had the 342 and had, water, cable and Electric.  We spent every weekend on the boat.  Since the two hour drive was getting to us we decided to move to the lake down here.  The dock here do not have electric, water nor cable. So we thought we would get the 260 with air, radar arch and generator.  Well we had some problems with it initially.  Then we realized that since we lived so close to the lake down here we never slept on the boat and the grandkids wanted to tube.  So I got rid of the 260 lost my butt , however we ordered a regal 2300 with retractable tower. It measures 24'.  We test drove one and it jumped out of the water..  Well almost .  It is an open bow with tremendous storage.  It can accomadate 12 people although the most I will ever have on board would probably be 7.  
    Antway that's the story.  

I have enjoyed this forum and the communications we have had as well.  I will still stay active after all there are only two engine manufacturers mercruiser and Volvo.  I will have a Volvo in my new boat.  I had one in my 1999 Four Winns cruiser and loved it.  Really easy to change impeller.

Thanks for the kind words

• Options
    Best wishes Mike! MT
  • Options
    Mike, sounds like the new 230 will be a great boat for what you want to do!  I do sometimes miss the toy to ski behind.

• Options
    Thanks for the input Mike.  It was either Rinker or Regal for me, could not find the right Regal.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Quick comment about Regal.......... I have never seen a Regal that does not list list. I almost bought a Regal a long while ago until I found out one side was lined with lead bars. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2005 270 FV (with arch and gen) and my only grudge is I think it is underpowered.  But I also may run it too hard when all my kids are in town.  I even tried to wakeboard off it.  The one I bought used even had an upgrade to a 6.2 after the previous owner blew up the 350.  I am having some problems with detonation, which I am still trying to figure out (bad gas? clogged injectors? or just pushing boat too hard? - motor is pulled now for boring out detonation scuffs and and putting in oversize pistons :-(  But other than this one item the boat has been great and we had a ton of fun on her.
  • Options

You should be running non-ethanol gas with a "true" octane rating of 90 or higher.MT

• Options
    During sea trial the captain, hired by broker, ran aground at about 25mph in about 2ft of water, almost came to complete stop.  Ground is very soft but nonetheless, bad. Broker is paying for certified Mercury mechanic to inspect drive/engine system.  Also surveyor is coming out to redo sea trial and inspect the hull.  Asked broker for a year warranty but won't do it.  Please let me know your opinion, not sure what I am going to do but I am reluctant to buy. Thanks 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270