Options

cuba

I'm tempted to drag my floater down to south Florida and take a ride to Cuba... this development ought to open huge industry of folks doing just that... Tell me that doesn't sound like a freakin' GREAT trip, huh? 

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard from friends that live North of the US boarder that the beaches there are amazing. I hope to someday travel there myself and go to some of the resorts.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rowboat212rowboat212 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I've been there on both sides of the fence, but in a very controlled circumstance... Politics suck but the people are warm and genuine... I'm sure the gaming industry will boom, and that tourism will rekindle that economy.. hopefully some of their mechanics will head north- they are the best on the planet and have kept cars running there for over fifty years on practically bailing wire and soda cans.... 

But the idea of running an open bow 21' boat across the straight for and overnight or weekend trip simply sounds like the adventure and blast my family would really enjoy... I'm going to start planning now.  :-) 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About time they started talking about opening up Cuba to US citizens. Canadians go there a lot. My wife was on the Gitmo side for the USAF, said is was a beautiful island. 

Pretty stupid we deal with and can travel to China and Russia but not Cuba.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    You can almost bet they are stuck at 1959. lol. Car collectors are drooling at the opportunity too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    There was a special on all of the old cars that are in Cuba a few years ago. They are in perfect condition, minus the lack of parts. A Chevy might have a Ford motor in it and vice verse. They have gotten good at making their own parts for the cars.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    They are real MacGyver's when it comes to fixing cars
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1st buyer of my beloved TikiHut FV270 has my blessing and just the boat to make that trip. :D
    Fuel economy and room to live aboard in comfort. Just sayin'....  The race is on to Havana and all points E/W from there... Don't forget the sunscreen and hat. lol
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think that one heck of a trip considering the people of Cuba have been known to float to the US in nothing much more than a bath tub!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    It would be cool to see Ernest Hemingway's boat "Pilar" which is on display in Cuba.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilar_(boat)

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Who remembers the floating Chevy truck some Cubans used to escape a few year ago? It sank..."Like a Rock"

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    How did I miss that one?  I imagine the life jackets were courtesy of the US Coast Guard.
  • Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    Wow, A pick up truck would make somebody think of something like that?
  • Options
    well, remember the water cars from years ago? So when they hit the beach, just fire it up and head to the unemployment office!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That pic is the definition of desperate multiplied by the thousands who have tried over the decades. Can't imagine how many will flee the next time the door cracks open. S Florida better be ready. It got REALLY complicated down here in the 70's when the last boat lift happened.
    Just sayin'.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    RY, that is what I said to my wife the other day too!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Been there twice and the beaches are amazing. Not much to buy except the rum and cigars. The all inclusives are cheap but focus on the 4 and 5 star. The local are friendly and the service at the resorts is quite good. Countryside is very rural and simple. Some housing looks like palm trees cut to slabwood for siding with a thatched roof made from the leaves.  When we flew out they seemed to care less what you brought on the plane like rum and water bottles.  Airport logistics definitely not up to our standards in regards to efficient flow of people so be patient. I hope it does not become too westernized too fast, we have that home all year. A hidden gem being opened up to our brothers south of 49. Enjoy! 
    PS Toilet paper seems to be in short supply! Basic toiletries are always welcome gifts to resort staff . 
  • Options
    People forget that Cuba is a popular destination for Europeans and Canadians.  Flights daily there. Just our assbackwards government embargo/ travel ban makes people here think no one goes there. Cuba has a world class medical system. 100% hurricane planning and they test it frequently. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Hopefully the embargo/travel ban will go away if the fools in Congress have enough nuts to lift it. Then again, it is our Congress... They won't do it because the President started the process...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Be nice to get some Cuban cigars. Finest there are.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dominican are better cigars.
  • Options
    MonteCristo

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Anyone interested in a Rinker Rendezvous there?
  • Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Cohiba Siglo VI (Drools)
  • Options
    Tony, I think that would be the trip of a life time.....we are "scardy" boaters and typically stick to lakes, rivers, inner coastal and dip our toes in the gulf- just don't have the experience for such adventures...but with a group.......sweet!
  • Options
    90 miles from key west?
  • Options
    yep, 90 miles......a little further than the Bahamas I guess but have not really looked at that either....
  • Options
    TikiHut2 said:
    That pic is the definition of desperate multiplied by the thousands who have tried over the decades. Can't imagine how many will flee the next time the door cracks open. S Florida better be ready. It got REALLY complicated down here in the 70's when the last boat lift happened.
    Just sayin'.

Back in the mid nineties I watched a group attempt to walk through a mine field to Guantanamo... The mines there are ancient and the mapping/plotting is unreliable at best... Some times they just cook off and blow, so you know they're still active and capable with that steady reminder... To attempt to pass through those fields, which are only smaller than the ones between north and south Korea, and with your family in tow, is the absolute definition of desperation. Such a shame.  

We took our rifles and zeroed them upon landing in Cuba, and from the tank tables range.  the mirror sentry didn't like that too much... A few hours later, a vehicle pulled up to his post and a Cuban sniper got out and climbed into the post... It's the first time I laid eyes on a dragonov in enemy hands... after a few minutes of staring each other down through the optics, we started waiving at each other, and making faces... It was a touch of twilight zone, to be honest, and I guess as good a response as could be expected... That guy was brave... He had a single dragonov and there were no less than six m40a2's trained in on him the whole time.  :-) 

We did operation able manner and used Cuba as the stepping off point, which we still refer to as the 'haitian vacation' because all we did was float around the Caribbean on coasty boats intercepting hatians trying to float out of por de prince...  we did run a recon on rigid hull inflatables into Haiti, and for purposes of gauging their abilities (in terms of numbers) to escape... that was eye opening... I imagine that Cuba will have a similar response when the gates open... There will be a mad dash across the straight...  90 miles is hella more likely than the distance between Haiti and Florida, and the waters more protected (you can walk durn near a third the distance), but still... in my older age I'm far more forgiving and compassionate about folks just trying to make their life better.  and of course if me buying a few jugs of rum and some stogies helps them out... So be it... :-) 
  • Options
    Dominican are better cigars.
    You're out of your mind, or simply parroting what you've heard from others... 

The thing is... If it's a habano fit for export, it's passed through Spain first.  All Cuban habanos pass through Spain as part of an agreement for Spain bailing Cuba out after Andrew passed though, which wrecked the vuelta bajo... There are of course cigars available in Cuba, but 99% of them are 'factory counterfeit', meaning they are swiped by the factory workers with intent to sell..

Off the Fuentes fields of Dominican, there is nothing that comes close.  

Nicaragua and Honduras is a bit different story.. the ground and climate there is superb, and would have surpassed Cuba (there own master blender, which is an office in Cuba admits this) if it weren't for the Sandinista's... they spiked the ground with chemicals in effort to kill the tobacco and cane industries... They are recovering, though, and a little known fact: many Cuban cigars aren't puros (meaning all from one origin) but instead have central American tobacco in them... they've done this to maintain their export agreement with Spain, and because storms subsequent to Andrew have at times hurt their ability to meet the numbers... when asked about the best tobacco being produced some years back, the Cuban master blender responded "jose pardon plantation', which shocked everyone because everyone expected the answer to be a vuelta bajo  field, and not a plantation not even Cuban. 

All that said... Cuba makes the absolute best... others are just reaching... They're getting closer in some cases, but... They're far behind. 
  • Options
    Jose padron... my phone hates me. 
  • Options
    And the wrapper comes from where ????