Options

cuba

Comments

• Options
    rowboat212rowboat212 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    And the wrapper comes from where ????
    Wrapper on what? 

Cuban cigars use Cuban wrappers... Dominican cigars use Connecticut broadleaf, Cameroon, Indonesian, Brazilian, ect... The only Dominican cigars to use a Dominican wrapper is the fuente opus and anajo line... Every. Other. Wrapper. Is. Imported.  

Except for extreme circumstances the Cubans are puros cigars... now don't get me wrong- there is a healthy crowd who can't wait to see a Cuban with a Connecticut broadleaf, but that makes for a mild cigar for pansies, not an in your face full bodied habano. 

You can argue with me on this if you like, but I owned a cigar Shoppe (three of them) and a wholesaler, imported my own label and distributed for smaller houses out of Dominican and central America.. I'm on first name basis with many large manufacturers owners/families... on this subject I know.my business. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite, Drew, is the Fuentes with the cedar wrap. 
  • Options
    The cheaute line.. they're good medium bodied smokes.. 

I love the Fuentes too.. Carlos and carlito are great people... I'm a huge fan of casa de la fuente, which is for all practical purposes a Cameroon wrapped (like the Don Carlos or Hemingway series) opus X or anajo (which is basically a maduro wrapped opus)... The problem is they are only available in one place: Caesars Palace, in Vegas... They are not likely to ship them, so you durn near gotta be there.. if you get a chance, and find yourself atthe foot of the escalator/steps right before that giant moving statue, walk in there and grab a few.. they limit two per customer per visit/day, but there are several sizes to choose from, and you can always get your buddies or wife to snag some too.. I usually stay at the Venetian when I'm there, but I hoof it over to the palace just for that reason at least once every trip. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wrapper leaves are from Connecticut actually.  

My wife was at Gitmo in the mid-90's with the USAF.  During the cuban migration issues times.  She mentioned the same mine fields and the desperation it takes to walk thru it (or try) and most died trying.  It was a tropical fun place too: horse riding, boating up the river (until the armed line), and if you ever needed anything - it was 'on the barge'  lol  212 would understand I suspect.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Connecticut broadleaf is the species, and they're grown under cheesecloth tents to limit Sun exposure and have very small veins... They're highly regarded for their elasticity and appearance, and for their very mild flavor... They are far too mild for my tastes, though.  the best flavored wrappers are Cuban. 
  • Options
    Well we should be able to get them soon.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, this sure got off topic!
  • Options
    Just a bit.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I still want to take a boat trip there one day. With my boat I can go back and forth twice :smiley: 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree... Taking a boat trip there and one to the Bahamas are on my bucket list.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    well, that would be one heck of a Rinker owner rendezvous !  Maybe we should start a new "topic" with these sort of exotic destinations and who knows, maybe a group would get together and make the trip! I know I don't have the experience to set out on such adventure....I'm sure others here have. It would take a lot of planning...passports etc. but it could happen!
  • Options
    Why is everyone so serious about staying on topic? Geezz
  • Options
    I'm with Steve... You can't talk about Cuba w/o talking about cigars, rum, tropical breezes, mine fields, old cars, and escapees... Just can't.. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew, you know a lot about cigars. Wow.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    It was my business for a while, so it behooved me to learn.  :-)

A run to Havana from key west, marathon, or islmarada wouldn't be that bad... It would be somewhere around 90 nautical miles, and a pretty steady haul across the straight... You could literally dead reckon it.  Most y'alls rigs could make it, but I'd be pushing fumes by the time I saw land.. a couple to five boats making the run together and watching out for each other would be the best option.. running at the worst performers optimum speed I'd guess would be the best option, no? 

Honestly, it would be a three hour run.. I can't imagine it would be a problem. 
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Count us in.  If it gets organized, we would have to be faced with a compelling reason to not participate.
  • Options
    Where would we dock? What paperwork would we have to do? Guns?
  • Options
    As I understand it, Cuba has facilities for cruisers and yachts.  Just not for ones from the U.S.  Brits and other folks go there quite often.  But there would be a lot of research required in preperation.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought US citizens still can't get visas to Cuba?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    That is what I think might be changing.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a TV show in the 60's about a 3hr tour to tropical islands that went astray??

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Cuba aint the tropics, Tiki. 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Really? News to me. 

The professor said:
    "The tropics is a region of the Earth surrounding the Equator. It is limited in latitude by the Tropic of Cancer in the northern hemisphere at 23° 26′ 16″ (or 23.4378°) N and the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere at 23° 26′ 16″ (or 23.4378°) S"

"

You're just trying to distract me to make the moves on ginger. D

Aloha, Que pasa, Ooh-ga chaka or whatever floats that how-do-ya-do in a tropical world. Interpretation for our northern brethern..... Eh?? YEEooo betcha!

Here's a recent headline regarding a guy lost at sea in the Eastern Fl straits for 6 days. A lucky idiot, but none the less stranded on a tropical island after leaving Marathon. All the drama but none of the fun of the TV show.
    >>LINK<<<
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    The tropics are Fiji, Tahiti, Turks and Caicos. 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Wikipedia definition posted above.... Now I'll have to go to Fiji and investigate the difference. "Ginger, baby!! We're going to Fiji, call MayAnn and see if she's available for a quick boat trip with HM342".
  • Options
    You will have to get the official definition from MT. Where is he anyway? Tropics? LOL
  • Options
    Something to consider: as it stands NOW, venturing into Cuban waters your insurance stops butt cold... You're on your own legally, too.. guessing that this will change when legislation changes, it would still be a good question to ask your broker before floating that direction. 
  • Options
    always has to be a party pooper....and Tiki, the new year must have been good for you!
  • Options
    Good new years eve. Admiral was freezing in nyc times sq, so I met some RBOC loopers on a 342 in town and later rang it in with other friends. Always try to spread some cheer.

It's Ray who was in Key West that needs to give us an update. :D

Just to stay slightly on topic.... yes 212, good point about insurance on the sea sled.
  • Options
    Well, you cannot quite book a vacation to Cuba yet, still some 'rules' for visitors, but you CAN bring back upto $100 worth of goods, including Cuban cigars.  Hopefully Congress will actually do something worthwhile and drop the moroni embargo and travel restrictions.  Maybe.

PC BYC, Holland, MI