Options

Attaching a Magma pedestal on the swim platform

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone attached a Magma grill pedestal to their swim platform?  The base has holes for 6 screws.  I was thinking I could just do pilot holes, get some #10 or #12 3/4 inch stainless self tap tapered head screws, and put a squirt of silicone in the holes before the screws.  Have other folks used the same method?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in doing it also, and sounds like you have a good idea with the screws.

I'd maybe mine under the ladder hatch, so its out of sight when not in use.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If your BBQ will be attached to your pedestal while using the boat at wot and waves I think you are better  to used thru bolts and a backing plate under you swim platform. My friend lost his pedestal and BBQ with the base that was just screw in. Using 4200 sealant or similar on the  bolts and backing plate is a good idea.
  • Options
    Not planing to have the grill on the pedestal except when the boat is docked or anchored. 

• Options
    Then you should be ok.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I put mine all the way thru with larger washers backing it (& SS of course).  I'd recommend thru bolts if you can.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used thru bolts and fender washers as well. I wouldn't trust it with just screws, unless you used 5200. I don't leave mine up while underway. I don't want it to end up in the drink.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Mine is also bolt down with a backing plate 1/2 plywood cover in epoxy  with SS washers and
    4200 sealant .
  • Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    New sport invented!!!  Wave Grilling.  Who can make the best steak at 30MPH.  Like Food Network and Outdoor Channel all mixed into one. 
  • Options
    Well what about guys like me with a molded-in swim platform? No way to put a backing plate in.
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I did not use a backing plate with mine and it has been fine for 5 years. Just used the template, drilled the holes and used locking washers. But you will have to swim to get all the nuts on......unless you are on the hard.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not use self tapping screws. I would definitely use through bolts. Let me give you a few reasons why. (1) You're on anchor BBQing and a boat comes by leaving a big wake. Rocking will put stress on fibreglass. (2) BBQ is in place and someone accidentally falls toward, hopefully only when it's cold.

There are many reasons to just do it right. A through boat with a backing plate is the way to go.

Joe why can't you put a backing plate in?? You just apply a thick coat of epoxy between the deck and backing plate. This will make sure the plate sits flush and stress is distributed.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Just a suggestion before you go drilling holes...Looking at pictures of 342 sterns, some have the four bumper holder like my 290, some don't.  If you do, I highly recommend thinking about the rail mount that I did.  You don't have to store the greasy grill when you are done, just throw a cover on it.  The two bumpers, I leave mounted to my dock anyways.  Love it on the rail.

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    I didn't catch it was on a 342.  The three 342's I hang with all have pedestal mounts going thru the platform (boat years are 2004, 5, & 6 - not sure if you're 02 is different).  You could also try Gary's way as well.

Gary, the water looks pretty clear there.  Is that the bottom we can see in the picture?

• Options
    The admiral put the kabosh on having the grill anywhere near the canvas.  So the mount is my best option.

The votes for through bolt have spoken.  

DI the platform has stringers but there is plenty of space where I plan to put the base.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, if I was able to I'd go with thru-bolts also.

I dont think theres any way to get a backing plate or thru-bolts with a molded in platform though. :/

• Options
    Joe, not sure what to tell you with your platform (nice looking ride though!).  You almost need to go with a rod holder somewhere and use it for the grill mounting.  Maybe off the arch or off of the SS tubing on the front?

Stodge, one thing I was always concerned about (& why I never put a pedestal mount on my prior boat - 310) is stubbing your toes, especially my kids.  But the newer mounts have a lower profile that so far has been good.  One 342 that I raft with has two mounts, one in the aft middle of the platform, the other in the aft corner.  Depending on where he sits, he'll put a table on one, and the grill on the other.  Pretty decent setup.  Another secret use for that pedestal mount, but a nice beach/table umbrella.  Put the pedestal pole up, put the umbrella in & you have instant shade!  Since mine is in the corner next to a cleat, I have a beach umbrella, with a small rod that goes to help twist the base into the sand, that I use to tie to the cleat.  Just a thought!

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, Is there any access from inside the engine compartment? The swim platform is part of the top and hull of the boat, so it should be hollow.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, I agree, I think you can get to that space within the swim platform from the engine compartment. You may have enough room to reach in a slide a backing plate into it with some nuts to secure (maybe wing nuts with lock tight?).

What is under that lid opposite of the swim ladder lid?  I don't know how deep the pedestool acceptor is, but can you put it through that lid. I would then have a latch to make sure the lid stays closed (so it doesn't flip open with the grill on).

Last idea is to put in right on the walk through inbetween those stern seats. If you need to get access to the swim platform it looks like the seats are low enough to just step over. OR!!!! What about under one of those back seat cushions?? Just take the cushion off when you want to grill.  That will give you a whole side of the boat to grill on. And you won't need to worry about grease getting on the cushion.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an electric grill sitting on the sink counter. No fuss
  • Options
    Wow, I am agree with Handy again in one day!  We do use a Foreman grill as well sometimes.  Does work very nice at times.

• Options
    Joe, Is there any access from inside the engine compartment? The swim platform is part of the top and hull of the boat, so it should be hollow.
    Not from the engine compartment, but maybe from the flip-up seats on the swim platform? There is a plastic liner that might be able to be moved, but it'd likely be a huge PITA.

And I dont know why, but mine doesnt have the starboard lid, although you can see the smooth mold marks where it should be. I wish I did have it, since I could use it for the dog's swim ladder and leave the other one for people.

I did kinda like Handy said, but I used a standard tabletop grill and put it on the counter in the cockpit (with a thick towel underneath to protect the Corian), and it actually worked well, but I would definitely not do anything greasy, since it would easily splatter onto the seats and carpet.... :neutral: 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Can you use these tabletop grills out on the water without a genie?  I don't want to drill holes but need a good way to cook out on the water.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Yes, mine is propane (takes the 1lb Coleman tanks) so its completely electricity-free (the ignitor is the clicking/matchless style). I actually only use it out on the water, as there is a full-size grill at the marina to use if I'm there. There's a bunch just like it, and they're usually found more in the camping section. The Magma stuff is nice, but unless you are mounting it like Stodge is trying to do, its very very spendy for what it is......
  • Options
    Run the genny if you have one, its good for it.
  • Options
    I have been using a metal folding table out on the platform.  Just looking to simplify things a bit.

We used to spend the night on our 280 without a genny.  Had a propane grill and would cook on that.  It's not hard to "camp out" without a genny.

• Options
    If its cool outside, no genny needed. 
  • Options
    Well, I've never ran my genny overnight, ever.  Yes the A/C is nice and we do use it, but I generally don't run the genny just to have the A/C going. I do really like the convenience of a genny and would never go back without one though.  I can anchor for 4 or 5 nights without even thinking about moving.

• Options
    85 at night, 100% humidity, you will be running Genny.
  • Options
    well, I've had my boat out when it was warmer and more humid than that, and nope, didn't run it over night.  Two years ago during our Rinker Rendezvous it was well over 100 degrees during the day.  Several people didn't come cause of the heat.  I ran my genny till I went to bed (which is definitely longer than most of the time) around midnight.  Didn't start it until we used it for breakfast.  Most of the boats kept theirs going all night.

• Options
    85 at night, 100% humidity, you will be running Genny.
    Lightweight

We have a 12v box fan that works well.