Options

Which engine for my 260 EC

blaubatublaubatu Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

Last year I bought the 260 EC with the VP 5.0GXI, 270hp with DPS. This engine is to weak for the Rinker. Rinker is supplying 260 only with the small block. I am thinking to install a bigblock 496 **** or an 6.2 MPI. Has somebody this configuration. Other advises are welcome.

with 4 adults, full tanks my cruising idle is at 4.200. max Speed at 5.000 is 33miles/h.

The new VP V380 would be the best deal but to expensive.

Regards

Boris 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thats what you really need Boris! 
  • Options
    What is it? an diesel
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 280EC with a 6.2 and a Bravo 3. I am happy with the performance. Your 260 is shorter and narrower than the 280, so the 6.2 would work well and it is a small block.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boris, you need to check what the max engine spec is for that boat. I have the 260EC, and have a 350 MAG in it. My top speed is closer to 40 - 42 mph, depending on lake conditions. I cruise at 4000 rpm, 30 - 32 mph.  I'm not sure but the 350 MAG might be the largest powerhouse it can support.  Just check with Rinker first.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, are you going by HP or Litre size or what because the 6.2 is the same block basically as the 5.7
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think HP rating.  Although I remember something like a 320 HP limit on the boat. What does the 6.2 push out?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The 6.2 (383) you get with 350 HP. Friends of mine have in the sea ray 260 sundancer the MAG 502 (427HP) in without any problem.

His values are:

3000rpm 26 mph
    3200rpm 28 mph
    3700rpm 33 mph
    4400rpm 40 mph
    5000rpm 46 mph

• Options
    Diesel for me if I had the money.
  • Options
    Diesel for me if I had the money.

Yes, for the next boat. New diesel engine would be an expensive Investment in the Rinker!
  • Options
    How much is Diesel? How much is Gas?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    How fast is the Diesel? How fast is the gas?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Same Ray with that new 4.2 Merc. 
  • Options
    You must have failed Math in college Ray. Take a 260 EC with a 350 Merc and one with the new 4.2 Merc diesel. Both at the same dock, both leave to the bar 5 miles away, both full speed. The 350 gets there 15 min faster but uses twice the fuel and twice the cost. Now the gas owner is at the bar but he just filled up his boat and has no spare change for drinks or dinner. His wife gets really **** off and cuts him off for the next 6 months. 15 min later the diesel owner pulls in with his wife and they sit down at a nice water view table and proceed to order a bottle of wine, filet mignon and lobster tail because they don't have to fuel up again for the next 6 trips. Now Ray, I ask you again which boat would you own? RLMAO  Guys, I am getting tired of explaining this. 
  • Options
    Handy you have blinders on. Tired explaining your justification of spending all that extra money on the boat????? BTW Diesel around here cost more than gas and 15 minutes is a stretch to say the least. So let me ask you this, why dont they make more diesels on this style of boat? Not just Rinker but anyone? Because its not piratical........  I also did very well in school in math and figured out it is much more practical to own a 342 with gas than it is with diesels money wise.....LOL How loud are the diesels compared to gas engines? Isn't your boat still for sale? Hummmm.......lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    No, boat is not for sale. Cant even hear them running. Diesel is .50 cents a gallon cheaper here. Next question? 
  • Options
    No No No answer the big question first. Why dont they make more express style boats with diesels??????????? This whole topic is really ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    ANNOYING !!!!!!!  I thought that on this forum people could be free to post there opinion and discuss it. If it is annoying to some then don't participate on the discussion.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Here's an article by marine surveyor David Pascoe on diesel vs. gasoline engines. I have no experience with diesels myself (except for my Kubota tractor where diesel is ideal) but Pascoe does have credentials and credibility based on years of experience.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasNdiesel.htm

Andy

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Here's part one of the above article, sorry.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm

Andy

• Options
    Ray, people cant afford the upfront cost of Diesel engines. Thats why I always buy used boats. 

Thanks Paul!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Let's make it more real by doing the math for a new 360 with Volvo D4 diesels vs Merc 350 Mags.  (Sure, I'll help stir the pot!!)

The purchase price of the D4 option is $90K (28% of the total cost of the boat).  But that's not the whole story.  Over the life of a 20-year loan, you'd pay an extra $51K in interest.  So the real cost of the diesel option is $141K.  

Now, suppose we make some EXTREMELY generous assumptions about how much the owner would save with diesels:  50% on fuel costs and $1000 a year on maintenance.  The payoff time for the diesels is ... drum roll please ... 22 years.  

Also, because two diesels weigh 1000 lbs more than two gas engines, the boat will have severe performance penalties in terms of worse top speed, cruise speed, minimum planing speed, payload capacity, running angle and stability.  

So ... you were going to explain how diesels are a great option for express cruisers?

(Handy, you know we love ya, especially when we can get you spun up about something.)
  • Options
    I would never buy a new boat with diesel option unless I won the lottery because I can generally get a used diesel boat at the same price as gas. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I would never buy a new boat with diesel option unless I won the lottery because I can generally get a used diesel boat at the same price as gas. 

that may be true for a 34, but the cheapest I've seen a diesel (for my boat) is still $60k more than what I paid.  & I've been looking for almost 4 years now at prices.  Yes, I got a good deal, but I am comparing apples to apples.  & that comparison is comparing what I paid 3 years ago with a diesel of same age right now (so it should be even less).  I love to get in this battle, cause I have done my research for quite a long time (on larger Rinker cruisers).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Usually diesels are for larger heaver boats. Usually larger heaver boats are slower because of the weight. I like a little larger boat (342) with being able to go faster when I want to. Consider the cost difference and IMO gas is more practical. I have been saying that all along. Plus the fuel burning in not that drastic. Hey frenchship yes people can talk about what they want. This conversation (freindly) between Handy and me has been going on for almost a year. So I have the right to say what I want. Bro its all good here and handy takes me with a grain of salt and I do the same. We at the RBOC are a BROTHERHOOD............
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited June 2015
    Oh yeah I agree with Raybo!  & in two weeks from today, Handy will be having a drink with me drolling over my two gas big blocks!  Right Handy???  (I'll snap a picture of him with them and use it for my avatar)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    In my up raising brotherhood don't yield at each other.....maybe some people have a different way of thinking. This only my opinion and nobody has to live or accept it.

• Options
    It's a freaking joke. Don't make this into something it's not. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    A diesel boat for the same price as a gas boat?  Are you saying that the diesel engines lose $90K of value in just a few years?  That doesn't sound like a very good deal to me!

Look at the 400's listed on boattrader right now.  The diesel boat is priced 20% above the rest of the market.