Options

Which engine for my 260 EC

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 20%????? That's a good deal. Better than 60%. Its just that the E C market is still very soft plus I got a great deal. I knew what the 342s drank with gas and that's why I jumped on a very rare diesel 342 with the best diesel engine on the market today. This boat should last well into my retirement years if I don't get a bigger one. Now if you are retired and using the boat everyday you can and just cruising around, diesel is the choice. I would love to get a 34 Mainship.
  • Options
    Ray must have lost his girl. He has been very nasty lately.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm going to chime in here. I don't think a diesel for the Rinker 260EC is a good option. LOL.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    blaubatublaubatu Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Hey guys,

Lets come back to the topic. small block or big block. Diesel is out of discussion since to expensive.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd think a 350 Mag Bravo 3 would be a good middle of the road option. My 276 cuddy, which weighs about 6500lbs loaded up, gets about its business just fine with the 350 Mag.

Here's a review with the Volvo Gxi, which I believe is 320hp, but the 350 Mag isnt going to be much different numbers.

http://www.boatingmag.com/boats/rinker-260-ec

I'd NEVER want a diesel in a pocket cruiser. Its not like it gets terrible gas mileage, so comparing it to the 40' foot stuff in regards to justifying diesels is pretty ridiculous.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Not you too Al geez
  • Options
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I have not been nasty.....LOL and I did not lose my girl....LOL You guys are killing me. What was the point of that video????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    That video proved the speed of diesels.
  • Options
    I have the 260ec with a 350 mag b3. There are NO performance issues. With average load on board I plane in 10 seconds and my top speed is 43 mph.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Alswagg nailed it. If you have a 250/260 and carry more than four typical adults and their gear, full fuel and water, the boat is going to be underpowered and take a long time to plane. Better to get a bigger boat if you often bring a lot of friends/guests along. Up to four passengers, the 5.0 or 5.7 is adequate but no speed demon. But it offers decent fuel economy, around 2 mpg on average in the open sea. BTW, if you have VP power and an XDP drive, you must upgrade ASAP!

Also, the comment about a big block not fitting in a 260 is right on. The small block is a bloody tight fit if it's anything like a 250!

Andy
  • Options
    FYI, this from the V-P website regarding the Ocean X outdrive, "Water-in-Drive and Water-in-Bellows sensors are not available with diesel engines."
  • Options
    Andy. I had 4 adulls,  2 teenagers, 3 kids, full gas, full water tank, full fridge and cooler box and planed in 17 to 18 seconds. Still cruised at 32 mph at 4100 rpm. At WOT I'm sure I could have hit 40 mph or more. I wouldn't worry too much about performance on the 260. Of it had a genset then maybe it could be an issue but the 6.2 would probably take care of that.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB That's a lot of weight. Is that on smooth water? Perhaps Canadians weigh less than Americans? :)
  • Options
    Yes on fairly smooth water. I once had 6 adults (3 over 200 lbs), 2 children and 2 teenagers on board and still managed to plane with everyone on deck. It took a while but with the tabs down we got her up.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I agree with MarkB. We both have the Merc 350Mag which is in our 260 Express Cruisers.  That's a 300HP 5.7 liter motor and the performance is better than Volvo 5.0 liter @ 270HP.  I am reluctant to say I would swap out a new engine just to gain 30 horsepower and about 7 mph faster, however.

The big block 496 might result in the extra weight cancelling out the additional power, and as Mark mentioned Rinker may not recommend that big heavy engine due to structural or handling issues.

Perhaps the 6.2 is a wiser choice since the weight is very comparable to a 5.7 or even the 5.0.

So since Boris doesn't want the very high price of converting his boat to diesel, a 6.2 or a 350MAG would be the way to go, depending on how much they each cost in Germany.

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    The issue the 260 and the 250 was a short running surface. The 270 and 280 are longer thus the leverage effect allows getting on plane faster.   Bumping up to a 6.2lt with 1.6 rockers will really liven up the boat.  
    That's they way I would go and never look back 
  • Options

Go for a 383 MPI Stroker with 350HP. Who can tell me his real weight of the 260?

My Boat is now in Croatia and will bring it back to Germany in August. The max. allowable weight to Trailer it is 7.700 lbs in Europe. My Trailer (Aluminium) has a weight of 1200lbs.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to iboats, it is 6750lbs without fuel, gear, ect...

http://www.iboats.com/Rinker_Boats_260_express_cruiser/nb/mo103871-y2008/

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    This I know, thats why I am asking for the real weight.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    That is the correct dry weight for a wet weight you would have to know fuel volume plus fresh water and so on. Are you looking for a wet weight? 
  • Options
    dry weight, checked by an user!
  • Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Get the 6.2 without the radar arch and do not get the generator.  Got rid of my 2013 last fall.  I had all ten options and the boat was too heavy and didn't plane very well even after they took it back to the factory.  Go with the 280 with minimum 320hp.  Better balanced boat you won't be sorry.  If you go with 280 get the largest engine.  I have had a new 342 with twin 6.2's great performance.  I had a 270 with 300 hp preformed very well.  The 260 is only good with 6.2 and without radar arch and without generator.
  • Options
    The best is to sell the 260 and look for another one in this size. Chaparral 270 Signature, this one I get also with the 502.
  • Options
    MIKES342 said:
    Get the 6.2 without the radar arch and do not get the generator.  Got rid of my 2013 last fall.  I had all ten options and the boat was too heavy and didn't plane very well even after they took it back to the factory.  Go with the 280 with minimum 320hp.  Better balanced boat you won't be sorry.  If you go with 280 get the largest engine.  I have had a new 342 with twin 6.2's great performance.  I had a 270 with 300 hp preformed very well.  The 260 is only good with 6.2 and without radar arch and without generator.

I don't agree. I have a 260 EC with radar arch and 350 Mag B3. I plane really easy, even with 10 people on board, full fuel, totally loaded, can plane in 20 seconds. I cruise at 4000 rpm, 30 - 32 mph, and 2 mpg fuel economy. 

I do agree that having a generator would make the boat much heavier in the wrong place, and I don't have one. 

6.2 would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary. My boat performs pretty well with the 350 MAG.  There's no ways anyone would say it is under powered.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I just dropped a 383 stroker 350 HP in my 270.  All my problems are over.  I am on plane under 4 seconds, with four adults and gear.  Easy swap, not cheap but didn't have sell it to buy another boat.
  • Options
    It looks like it but why don't you call them to confirm.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Rinker 270. I agree with your choice. I respectfully disagree that a 260 or 270 is well enough powered by a 350 for anything but the lightest loads. The ones I have been on with 350s are dogs to plane. A 377 mag would be the only "stock" engine that I would accept one with. If that 383 was built right (money evenly spaced on components from top to bottom) that engine will be much more in line with the power needs of a loaded 270/260.  A properly built 383 pulls all the way from idle to wot. You will have a blast with it. You will also get better gas mileage and much better performance. As well, imo your decision will  dramatically help re-sale - at some point in the future. The 350 HP final dial-in of your 383 is a smart and conservative number that will give you gobs of power plus longevity.
  • Options
    MT I don't understand what you're saying.  I can plane in 7 seconds with a full tank of gas, full water and 5 people on board. I am at 30 mph at 4200 rpm and wot im about 40 mph. What's wrong with that?

"Boat + Water = Fun"