Options

Which engine for my 260 EC

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark, we probably just have a respectful difference of opinion on what constitutes performance. To put my opinion to numbers I had a 2011 Rinker 226 XL bow rider with a 350 magnum, Lenco helm controlled large sized trim tabs and factory through hull exhaust. My boat weighed (dry) 3600 pounds. Your boat weighs (dry) 7000 pounds. In our 226 XL, with a full tank of gas, gear and the admiral and I with tabs down the acceleration was good. Four people on board, not so good. When trading that boat for a cruiser the Admiral and I did on water tests of 3 270s (basic 350s)  and two new 260s with a 350 mags at two different dealerships. They were all - imo - significantly underpowered and slow to plane.  Even the Admiral asked the salesmen if something was "wrong" with the boats. Both salesmen and the techs at a number of marinas we were at said don't get the new 260s without the 377.  Of course I don't expect a 260 to accelerate the same as a 226 XL - but I found the 260/350 mag combo real slow. We eventually bought a 360 with 8.2 mags after we had heard a number of 350 and 360 owners complain that their 350/360s were crazy underpowered with 350 mags and still underpowered with 377 mags. All of the 350/360 owners we talked with said they would have gotten 8.1s or 8.2s with their boats if they had "known". I have never heard any guy say that he bought too much engine. I can't count the number of times I have heard guys say they should have bought a bigger engine. It's great that you are pleased with your boat - that's all that counts. I would not be pleased with your boat and that's just a respectful difference of opinion. :-)

• Options
    blaubatublaubatu Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

@MarkB

This was there answer:

Hello Boris,

I am sorry, but we are not able to cross reference our Rinker arches.

We do have many available (at the link below) but you would need to measure where yours mounts and see if one of ours would fit.

Here is a link to ours:

http://greatlakesskipper.com/boat-tops-towers/radar-arches

Regards,
    Great Lakes Skipper
    2100 South Street
    Racine, WI 53404
    262-898-1855
    Visit our FB Page!

• Options
    Has somebody the 260 EC with the Arch? If yes, can you look which part no. is on the plate of the arch mentioned. The one I can get has the part no. 2800030611.

Before purchasing I want to be sure that this one will fit on my 260.

Thanks for your efforts.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2011 260EC with a radar arch. Where is the plate?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

this info I got:

The only part number on the arch is 2800030611. It is stamped on a little plate on the arch.

Dont know were.

• Options
    Purchased an new 383 Stroker MPI.
  • Options
    Sehr gut, Boris! You will be really glad that you bought that little torque monster. It will make a HUGE difference to your boat's performance!
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Just for shits and giggles, I have the 07 280 EC with the 6.2L MPI. I understand Rinker also mad it with the 496? Is that true?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably was an option
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Do you have to change outdrive when swapping these bad boys out or do most of them bolt right up?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    My, that boat with the diesels is so fast, all the seat cushions blew out!  lol
  • Options
    @jme097, I know the Rinker 290 can be ordered with the 8.2Magnum (in fact that was suggested by everyone I asked, particularly if equipped with a generator and extra house batteries) - so I wouldn't be surprised if the 280 could have been ordered with a 496 (8.1 Magnum). The 8.2 magnum (502) should be paired with the beefier B lll "X" drive. I installed a 383 390HP with a stock Bravo l years ago and its still fine, but I think if you dropped a 496 or 502 on a regular B lll it might twist it?
  • Options
    Engine arrived from the US and waiting to be installed
    383.jpg 220.5K
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!!!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jme097 said:
    Just for shits and giggles, I have the 07 280 EC with the 6.2L MPI. I understand Rinker also mad it with the 496? Is that true?
    Yes, it came with the 496MAG. There is an '08 280 in Pittsburgh that has one. It is currently for sale on craigslist.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

BEAUTIFUL, a perfect choice. You will NEVER regret the extra horse power. I can hardly wait for your review. It is not a big block but is one beast of a small block! LOVE it!!!!! AWESOME! .....IF  you are going to be ripping around you may wish to install a drive shower (not expensive) to keep your upper drive tower cool! I did with my  383.

• Options
    Headers will be changed to Hitek SS Headers
  • Options
    Will see with the drive shower. I have a Volvo Penta DPS Drive!
  • Options
    Even better! Very cool for a Cruiser!  I used IMCO Powerflows with SS pipes to Gil offshore tips and Corsa Quick and Quiet switchable exhaust.
  • Options
    What is the top Speed of your package? Do you know the weight of your boat?
  • Options
    Different boat so not relevant for your comparison but the difference between the HP and much more important the torque curve and total available torque at lower rpms between the 350 mag and the 383 was enormous. You will feel the change.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Lycoming T-55 is a nice upgrade for the engine. lol. Only need one too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    No such thing as too much power!
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Just to chime in here... a 383 would be nice, that's for sure.  For my boat though, the 350 MAG really doesn't seem like a bad match.  I cruise at ~29 (GPS speed) @ ~3900RPM and top out a 43-44mph @5200RPM.  I don't have to use tabs to plane if I don't want to, but tabs half way down when loaded up does decrease plane time by a couple seconds.  Either way, it's maybe 6 or 7 seconds to plane even with 5 people on board.

I do know what everyone is saying though... you do have to give it a lot of throttle to plane quickly.  Not WOT, but 3/4 throttle for sure.  And it doesn't just "pop up" like some other boats I have been on.  I haven't been on a "cruiser" other than mine though.

I do NOT have the A/C, Generator, Radar Arch, extra batteries, windlass though.  That probably saves a bit of weight that could be affecting my experience.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options

@Mike-G.....and you did have your boat's hull bottom re-done at the factory, if I am not mistaken - until then it was not so good, if I remember correctly?

I had my 350 Mag on a dyno. We printed the stats. We re-built it into a 383 and ran it on the Dyno twice. Once for 10 hours after the nbuild, tore it down and "decked" it, rebuilt and ran for 2 hours. Printed the stats.

If you put them in, for the sake of a discussion, a Rinker 236 the 383 would blow away the 350 mag. Completely different torque curves, HP and top ends.

There might not be the huge change you would get in a sport boat, like I did, but I bet there will still be a very noticeable difference in a cruiser....and to be fair my 383 ended-up somewhere close to 390 HP so it had amazing pull and torque. I say close as we were dialing it around on the dyno to make it a bit more civilized at idle for when I would be bringing it onto my boat lift.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Mike G, what pitch are your props?

I am fully loaded except for the generator. Also have a 350 MAG B3 setup. Props are 21P. My cruise is about 30 mph at 4100 rpm. At WOT with drive trimmed I'm probably 40 mph, but lake would have to be smooth to do that.

I generally start with tabs all the way down, and plane in about 8 seconds, unless the boat is loaded with people. I've had 10 adults on board (a couple were more than 200 lbs), and it took me around 15 to 17 seconds to plane. I didn't ask anyone to move though, there was a lot of weight in the back.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mike,

Do you have checked the weight of your boat? the 6750 lbs Rinker is mentioning, is far beyond the moon! My one has a weight 7250lbs, no fluids!!!
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @Michael T  I didn't have anything done to the bottom of the boat.  It was the top deck that had some "bubbles" in it (ended up not being air pockets thank goodness), along with several issues that should have been caught in quality control.  Oh.. and the 2nd time out, the top of the windshield pulled away (with the side glass) and was flapping in the wind (bimini attached but not opened). As said before, everyone was great and they shipped it back to the factory no questions asked (Rinkers' suggestion).  Everything has been perfect since, except a little oil usage last year.. which Merc is going to look into this year.

@MarkB I'm not sure what pitch props I have.  I would check when I go to the boat this weekend to remove the shrink, but "they" are calling for 3"-5" of snow this coming Monday with lows of 24 degrees and a high of 35!!!   :#  I will look the next time I go out.  Those speeds are pretty consistent on Lake St. Clair (Michigan) with less than 1' of chop and a couple other people on board, lots of water and ~2/3 fuel.  Fully loaded, I'm closer to 39 - 40mph GPS (like 42 on the dream-o-meter). -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Transom was gone. Have changed from VP to Mercruiser Bravo 3.