Bad News

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pault216. I have braced drives two different ways. When just trailering the drives for a short distance I have used Mercury drive trim ram braces. They are basically a piece of hardened plastic about 8-10 inches long. You may have seen them on boats. I think the oem Mercury are red and some other manufacturer's are blue. They can be cut to several sizes. They snap onto the SS rods of the trim tabs, then you back off the drives using your trim button letting the plastic snap-ons take the load. When a boat is professionally hauled I have seen a number of ways to take the stress of the drive weight off the transom. Most involve fixing the drives to the boat via straps. You don't block the drives to the hauling trailer (although I have seen that done) as the boat could move against them (up and down) which would be worse, in fact that could damage the transom! When I put my boat up for the winter I let the drives all the way down and then just tap the trim button(s) up to take the pressure off the trim hoses. BTW when I am not in my boat and it is at the marina for the summer I always leave the drives down. Doing this also takes stress off the bellows and cables. For 99% of us using the snap-on plastic pieces and leaving our drives down is all we will ever need to do. But for long hauls the drives (I/Os) should be secured. These are just my opinions based on my experience but they have served me well.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Al. The gimbal is good and they are installing a new transom plate and all new bellows. 3 to 4 grand
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

Now that’s good news for bad luck that’s good luck, Time to bring home and tryout your now boat lift

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Thanks MT. I have used the clips for years for transport and use a 2" clip for storage to keep the drive from touching the ground. Glad to hear an answer Handyman. Wish it was cheaper...but then it is a B.O.A.T. Conversations and internet searches sounds like it could have been a wear/deterioration issue. Good luck and let us know the final analysis.  Paul
    This seeems to be an issue with Rinkers regrdless of the engines.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't see how that is a 'Rinker' problem. How old are the bellows?  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Al, Steve's living in retirement haven, all those guys are loaded (look at his world class dock and boat lift) and fair game LOL!
    Will see the total damage this week hopefully.
    Al, its a lot of labor @$110 an hour. The inner plate is $440 plus all the bellows and other parts involved. I also had to pay to haul and block again plus a sea trial to do a prop slip test. 
    I would say from Handyman's bad experience that I should now incorporate an inspection of the inner transom seal and plate in my used boat search. I am guessing this is better left to a marine mechanic versus a surveyor? Maybe a GoPro on a stick could get to the area in question...
    @pault1216 That sounds like a smart plan Paul! Check twice, pay once!
    Paul, it could also break the week after you buy it and it could be cracked and not leaking. 
    This is very true Handyman...but if it is detected BEFORE I buy it I think that helps with negotiation...and I need all the help I can get!
    You cant find everything. I cant tell you how much my surveyour missed
    100% agree. I have too many doubts about how thorough they are especially for what they charge.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Yeah but they find things that you would not think of. Its like anything there are good and there are bad..........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I've gone along for my own boats as well as friends & have always found more things than the surveyors.  Had to have them for insurance reasons.   Made me think about becoming certified myself.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Al, please include all the work as described and not just the transom plate.
    I bet you are pulling all the bellows to do that job anyways, so really only parts and no labor that was not being done anyways. Just my .02

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I will post the invoice when I get it next year.
    Wow Al, I didnt think you could be so nice  :)
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Really Handy???  Someone that does this stuff for a living and then comes on here in his spare time to help others.  Thought about removing the comment, but figured I'd leave it to since you'd like to show who you are during this holiday time.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I've personally met Al and his son Thaddeus, both great people, knowledgeable, and willing to help out with great advice.  Nothing more to be said.  More people like them makes the world better. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited December 2015
    Dream, Really? I used a smiley face. You guys are way too PC for me. 
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Cant we all just get along???????? LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    This marina only has a lift and very little room. Everytime they bring the boat out its so much per foot. They also have to take off the engine cover/ back seat. I am trying to explain the invoice for AL. This marina is one of the best and honest around here. 

Guys, we should all be used to Steve's sense of humor by now - I think Al gets it! .....and yes, Al is a great man. He was instrumental in making sure my Axius joystick got moved from my armrest to the dash. I owe Al and Randy my appreciation far more than I can say on here - even with my long posts. LOL

BTW - we own the toughest boats on the market - Rinkers - we should have pretty tough skins too, right?

• BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    No offence taken here.   Merry Christmas.  Now let it snow!!!  I have 5 sleds ready to hit the trails plus many of our friends sleds.   

No snow either? Temps is 50 here, its crazy.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
    Good luck Al. It was 65 degrees here in Indy today and you are pretty close.
    Merry Christmas Al oh and DI too.