Bad News

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess as long as it's not leaking, it's not hurting anything? Will have to drag the book out...
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe since my boat was out of the water for over a year it had something to do with it.
    what the heck you been doing with it? I just would not thinking sitting on land or water would have any effect on the transom...but then I don't know much about transoms....your taking it pretty well for what you shelled out!
    edited January 2016
    I haven't got the bill yet but Im thinking it will be less because they didnt have to pull the motor out. I didnt have time to use the boat at all last year so it made better financial sense to leave it in storage rather than sit in the water all season.
    ah, well that sounds better...so more like doing the bellows as far as labor time...perhaps not to bad. Still might be worth a letter to Rinker although the first thing out of their mouth I'm sure is new owners...which makes me wonder on those that have new boats under factory warranty...with the sale, wonder if they still have a warranty?
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I'm no mechanic but I was surprised to hear the plate could get switched out without the engine being removed. Had to be somewhat labor intensive.
    Yes they did Al, thanks for the advice
  • pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I noticed mine in the spring and the boat was I think 10 or 11 years old also. Engine out to repair. I know it made it easier to grind down the glass with the engine out. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Well maybe the way the diesel is shaped they could slid it over. 
  • pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    Afterthought- If the transom plate was cracked and not leaking, is it an issue?
    I dont think so but may become one if it got more loose under use? Anyway, they are splashing the boat Monday and doing another seatrial and prop slip test. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed Steve! I'd like to see some pictures of her on that fancy new boat lift of yours.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That tornado miss you there Handy?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Few miles west. 
    very unusual weather for Fl...that el nino might take us out! 
    Well, here is the final report. I pick the boat up today at 2. The Factory (Rinker) installed the wrong throttle cables. So they were replaced with Teleflex 33C with the mercruiser ends. This allowed the motors to go up to full RPM. My boat now does 32MPH max at 3500 RPM and cruises very nicely, on plane at 26 MPH at 2800 RPM. Very efficiently I may add. I wonder if all the 342s with the Yanmars have this problem. And if you add the bad sanding job at the transom mounts, the peeling Gelcoat, Rinkers do not impress me much. Sorry MT. I hope Al reads this and can possibly add some more insight. No wonder he said they were sluggish with the wrong throttle cables installed. I spoke to the original owner and he never had the cables changed so they were original. Now if I could get a copy of the original test reports we could have had something to compare to. My marina is an authorized Yanmar dealer and after the seatrial he was exteremly pleased with the way the boat operated and ran with drive and tab trim at different speeds, current and winds.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Good to hear Handy!  You will be all set now!  New boat, new dock and new lift!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that we can no longer harass Handy about being so slow, think of all the spare time we'll have to harass him about other things.
    edited January 2016
    .....sorry guys can't harass Steve about being slow???? REALLY? My gasser does 50 MPH - 48 on a slow day. I can drag a friggin' couch behind my old banana bike faster than 32 MPH - because 32 MPH, particularly for a Rinker 342 -  IS slow!!!! Way too funny 32 MPH HaHa.....the "Bad News" is, even with new throttle cables, Steve's boat is still a DOG - I say that with love....sort of!
    ....all of which begs a primary question. Steve - who the H*LL has been servicing your boat all these years and didn't realize it wasn't operating in it's correct RPM band....and why didn't you notice that - Mr. Diesel???? :-)  Wait until Al gets a hold of this... he'll never let you forget it. Steve, as usual you are almost too much fun to be legal!!
    50 mph on a 342? That's almost scary...my 270 runs real nice at around 25 mph, wide open it might do 35, 40 tops?
    at 25 mph my tach shows around 4000 rpm but I have no idea if it is correct or not..
    Ras - I have a 360 with twin 8.2s - those 502s and a great Rinker hull is where the speed comes from!...I just love to tease Steve best fun for the money LOL
    I laugh at MT all the way past the fuel docks. Speaking of which, diesel is $2 a gallon here!
    Also on the way home, speedometer didnt work and a trim sensor didnt work. Anyone work on these before? 
    ....Steve your speedo doesn't work because it's embarrassed to report your top end!!! LOL ... I'm sorry, that was a freebie and I just couldn't resist! - All in good fun - I can take a shot too (and have) :-)
    edited January 2016
    The bad trim sensor was on the other drive they didnt touch. I can fix it once its on the lift.
    Al, doesnt the speedo unit on the transom have wires going to it? 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    MT, I cant believe your comments! They should be erased! Dream!!!!!

I'm not touching that one!  (Ooops, guess I did!?)

& who even still uses a speedo?  Heck, my boat doesn't even have one!  Your speedo has a pitot tube going up to the dash.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express