Options

About to p[ull the trigger on a 2006 320 EC...

Comments

• Options
    RiverJunkieRiverJunkie Member Posts: 30
    BTW...I'm not necessarily afraid of some hours on a boat.  Our Bayliner has about a thousand and still runs great....I'd take it anywhere even now.  We have taken good care of it but there is some age starting to show...no way around it.  And we have had Mercruiser outdrive problems as well.  We've replaced a few lower units over time.  Nothing is perfect.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

RJ, you have a great attitude toward the purchase & you are right.  If you begin having issues, just replace it all and you'd still be ahead.  Maybe we'll see you out on the bay with her next summer!

TW, I remember when you started venturing that second loop.  Are you gonna try it again?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    DI, I am going to be sort of wishy washy on this.  Getting the time and $$ is not to be ignored and will be the two things to address.  Kind of shrinking our ambitions to going where the yacht club cruises go and maybe to Key West and maybe, just maybe from there to Havana.  I have my passport on my desk and I am looking at it right now.  Another trip planned sort of generally would be to shadow Handyman over to the Bahamas. 

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TW you'd love Cuba. I've been there about 15 times since 1990. Go to Havana and sit in E.H's bar with a Mojito and a Cohiba.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats that Tony? You cant make to the big lake without filling up? LOL RJ, its not a matter of the outdrives being OK now because they will fail at some point. 
  • Options
    @RJ, I agree with the comments regarding pricing-in the potential failure of the XDP. If you put aside the cash or know you can raise it fast no big deal, except for Tony's very good point that the time lost due to repair is another factor.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful looking boat! My self I would only buy mercruiser,don't have any personal experience with Volvo,but had omc which was garbage.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the input everyone.  So we are doing the sea trial on Sunday.  I'm having them temporarily haul it out afterwords to take a close look at the drives and hull.

If all goes well we will close early next week..I'll drive it up river to the Occocquan to our slip.

We are seriously considering just leaving it in the water for the rest of the winter.  Our marina is full with blocked boats now...I don't think we could get the space there even if we wanted to.  And it seems a little futile to pull it for possibly less than three months.  Thoughts?  It was put in the the water in the middle of September.

We would probably just install a engine compartment heater (as we have on our other boat) and maybe a bubbler for the slip.  We may continue to use the boat throughout the rest of the winter as weather permits.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as a Florida boater, could not offer any advise...your bottom painted so your good there, just have to worry about what winter might deal you!
  • Options
    Yeah you are always taking chances especially if the power goes out.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    RJ, that's a tough call. Being I live in the same general area, you just never know what may come our way.  That being said, you really only have 2 months to deal with.  I'm always back in March (well, technically always in, just on a lift).  Although this year it'll be first week of April due to March vacation.  I'd say if you live close to the boat, probably not a big deal.  I'd put a cockpit cover on and make sure it is supported well, cause any extra weight (like snow), you'd want to slip off, so it won't weight it down more in the water.  I'd think a hard freeze of the river/bay is unlikely, but you never know.  You can always go down and run your engines to warm it up, or drain the water from the engines and/or pour pink in.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Right.  The freshwater system is already winterized...I'll leave that for now.  The engine is a closed system but there would be raw water in the risers/heat exchangers (and AC).  We've left our current boat in all season a few times so I'm used to dealing with it.  I could also run down there with my generator for power in a real pinch.  I'm about an hour away in the mountains out near the Blue Ridge.  My Dad is a bit closer.  I'll think on it some more.  Thanks for the thoughts!
  • Options
    You have to drive 66 everyday????
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you know when the powers out that generator is not going to help you. There should be more storage options than the marine. Talk to your Mechanic.  They normally have options.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Ha!...well yes and no.  I work for myself and out of my house...but I do have a client in Reston that I have to travel to sometimes.  I had to go down there everyday for about 3 years recently.  I live high atop a mountain out here in Northern Fauquier County aka "Gods Country"...I prefer not to leave it;-)  I wish the river flowed closer...
  • Options
    There are quite a few boats that stay in all year at our marina...and the communication is good.  And I might be jinxing myself here, but the power has never gone out over the winter in about the four years we had left it in.  But...I've always wanted a remote monitoring system...I'll start another thread on that.
  • Options
    @RJ, if I were going to leave my boat in the water over the winter and I lived an hour away I would certainly have some sort of monitoring in place. BTW I'll bet your insurance would be void without a specific monitoring plan. I also bet you're happy the boat has new bottom paint as leaving it in the water year round without bottom paint would kill the gel coat - how do you spell osmosis? BTW you will have to blow some compressed air or AF through any pumps; raw water, sump, shower bilge and sink water lines so they don't freeze. I assume all of that was done, along with the hot water tank and fresh and waste tanks - just checking your checklist! .....better safe than sorry, right? :-)
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the other boats in the water use a bubbler to make sure the water doesn't freeze? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Ha I know this boat!  It's currently at my marina Colonial Beach yacht center.  I'm sure you have seen my 06 270 blue hull on the hard, tan winter cover on her.  This boat came from a marina on Monroe bay that used to be a Rinker dealer.  I saw it in the water over the summer.  To be blunt, it was extremely filthy when I saw her but dang they have done an amazing job cleaning her up.  The previous marina was Stepps Harbor View if you want to get more info.  I have walked over to that boat many times as I absolutely love it.  

Also a note, the electric, alreast ok D dock(covered slips across from your 320) have shady power at high tide.  I would not trust my engine to it. I also know Kyle pretty well who
    ownes the marina and is the broker.  It's been for sale since I think October, could be wrong.  You may want to just dry dock it at CBYC for ther winter to be safe.

Other than that I know very little about the boat expect it was barely used and sounds like you got that under control.  Doesn't sound like you plan on keeping it at CBYC but if you do, hope to meet you.  I'll be down checking on mine Sunday 1/3.

I would like to add one note.  The boat yard, Gladis is ok but does not have a great reputation around there.  I have a wonderful technician who works on mine, be happy to pass on his info if you want a proper opinion.  In addition, a friend of mine at that marina used to be a Rinker tech  at Stepps Harbor view, I could reach out to see what he knows about that boat.  Just a thought.

@MarkB yes the marina waters do freeze and
    some boats use bubblers.

Hope you grab her up, believe it's a great boat.  PM me if you need anything.

Patrick 
    Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Hey Patrick....yep...that's the boat!  We are going to be down there at 1pm on Sunday for the sea trial...been working with Kyle (he's been great so far)  We thought about keeping her there but it is just too far away from us...Two hour drive down there.  If all goes well...we'll take her up to our marina.

Would love to hear anything your friend has to say about the boat.  The boat had been used very little originally and had then been on the hard for 4 years before they moved it over to CBYC to sell.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    River Junkie,  the 320 2006 is an awsome boat!!!  Your quote on replacing those to dp or ocean X's is much to low!!!  If you buy this boat, you need to be very open minded about unplanned major repairs and or the true cost of new equipment, regardless of how low you pay for the boat up front.  PLEASE think twice and do some major homework before you sign papers.  I have been down this road.  There are more issues than bellow leaks and parts may be an issue as this drive has out of production.

Hint,  if you plan to buy and convert to new equipment, then look at a 320 or 310 5 years older, say 2000 2001.  This is what the 2006 will be worth in 5 years.  The new equipment won't increase the value of the boat but will make the boat very easy to sell when that time comes.  So the question is, can your pocket book take the hit and the admiral continue smiling?   

Best of luck!

LG
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I sold my 2006 320 with ocean x drives and very clean no water or grease in bilge and all new electronics with floscan new canvas hard glass forward of arch for 75k.  Cost me dearly to sell her and move up to 410 as I did not get a penny back for the drives or electronics.  What sold her was the service records and super super clean appearance.  You could have eaten your dinner in the engine room!

Bought her in 2008 100k. Good price back then.  New she was 165k.  So you can do your math from that... as I said earlier.  Look back 5 years on simular boat for your future sell price on the 2006.

Good hours on a boat should be 75 to 100 per year.  So a 10 year old boat could have up to 1000 hours.  If taken care of the engines are only at half life! I am very weary of low hours!

• Options
    That's pretty good advice from LG, in my opinion, and the math is right there to see. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    How did the sea trial go?  I will reach out to my friend to see what I can find out.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    The Jury is still out.  There were a few issues...
  • Options
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    A boat with 'a few issues' is like finding out my last girlfriend had 5 cats.....RUN!
  • Options
    @Pault216...TOO funny but true!
  • Options
    Ok...well.  There were a few issues that I thought would have already been fixed.  The AC/Heat was not circulating water.  Broker said he had it working right the day before....clogged strainer.  The Clarion stereo system does not work...right anyway.  The GPS is freaking out and doesn't seem to work...I think it is toast.  VHF doesn't work, horn doesn't work.  I'm not too worried about the minor electrical issues to be honest.

Trim tabs don't seem to work.

The outdrive trim did not seem to work while on plane.  It worked according to the gauges at lower rpms.  Broker said that is not supposed to work at higher RPMs.  I can't believe that.  I've always used my trim to max out efficiency while on plane.  Is it true that the Volvo OSI xdp's are designed to not allow outdrive trim function while on plane??  I know too much trim is not recommended on these drives but really...no trim?

AND...the starboard engine was backfiring badly at full throttle.  It came up out of the hole nicely and ran at cruising speed ok.  Going to WOT once on plane caused it to start bogging and backfiring.  Had to drop back down off plane and re-start the process.  Fast as I could go was about 37mph.  I'm guessing it should do closer to 45 with those motors...though obviously something is amiss.  Water in the fuel...bad plugs/wires...or worse....a burnt valve.  We tuliped a valve on our Merc 5.7 once...it had the same symptoms.  Somehow I doubt it's a burnt valve...but who knows....it worries me.  Broker said he'd do a compression check but definitely fix the problem.

All is supposed to be fixed but I'm about to back out unless the price comes down severely.

Soo..is that enough to go wrong?! ;-)

• Options

That broker is an #@&* the trim function should be fully usable at speed as you have used it for years for ride quality and fuel economy.

What may not available at speed is the TILT function as in fully-up. Yeah THAT makes sense.

I do not have a good feeling about this. I am sure that you are excited at the prospect of owning a great model of boat but there is too much "off" with this deal. Can you imagine showing this boat for sale in this condition? It would take a massive discount for me at this point. The drives alone had me worried.

Sorry for this opinion, but on this forum we ask each other for the truth as we know it and that way we "have each others' backs". What does your "gut" tell you at this point?