About to p[ull the trigger on a 2006 320 EC...

13»

Comments

• RiverJunkieRiverJunkie Member Posts: 30
    I have my eye on a '05 with Merc 350 mags!
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Going by memory on this one.  With the XDP drives, the worst thing for them is to trim them up at speed.  It only accelerates the inevitable problems.  However they should obey the trim commands at all times no matter what.  With the good drives, you are bullet proof on any amount of practical, normal trim at any speed.  
    ....but we'll see there is a price tag on everything...
    In my opinion you will probably find the the engines are fine but I gotta tell you, you WILL be replacing the drives.  Then you will have a super boat.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RJ - I like the 350 Mags. - with B llls?
    edited January 2016
    I don't know whether it has Bravo III's yet.  Was that an option in '05 for a 320 FV?
    edited January 2016
    Yes, according to my '05 catalog, the 350 Horizon Merc  Bravo 3.  There are some other Merc choices however.
    Post edited by TonyWalker on
    edited January 2016
    Yep it has the 350 Horizon Merc's.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are nice engines!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go in at 40% below the asking price.  Maybe lower.  This time of year, they will probably jump at ANY offer.  If not, I wouldn't pull the trigger -- I'd pull the plug.

Think of all the factors in favor of a low bid: worst time of year, slow local economy, miserably unsuccessful sea trial, and a broker who apparently doesn't care.  (Shame on the broker for showing it in that condition.  He deserves a low offer.)
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    You'd think a broker would do a full run down himself before he sea trials with a customer with money in hand.  Broker not prepared,  I'd move on.  Have to find these issues and then he will agree to fix is reactive.  You want proctive...  here are the issues needed in attention,  no suprise then just fix.  See brokers don't want to lose money,  so they hope you'll miss something and sign your life away.... good thing you know what to listen and look for!!!
    Well...When we first looked at the boat I detailed a bunch of things that were not working.  They were not all fixed when we went back down there.  And it's a 4 hour round trip drive.  I'm bailing out in the morning out and moving on....just too many problems on top of the XDP drive issue....despite the low price.
    Planning to check out an '05 320 with 350 Horizon Mercs with 350 hours.  They have a few other non-Rinkers in the same approximate price range too.
    You have a better chance with this one.  My opinion.  Photos and details when they are available.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RJ, that is just a typically normal day for a gas boat LOL
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    The drives trim, well, that sounds like a bad pump.  Mine was the same thing.  Would work off plane.

The engine, well, that is another story.  Definitely should be well over 40+mph if working properly.  Good luck & at least you have time on your side.  (well, cold weather is now here though)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant think of any used boat despite what it looks like or how many hours it always needs work done. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as I see it, you have a double edged sword and you need to figure out if one side is sharp enough to cut with! Either you have a diamond in the ruff or a real piece of crap on your hands. IF I would have had the money, when I bought my boat 2 years ago, I would not have bought a "fixer upper" I would have spent the money for a boat that they could prove well maintained and everything worked or at least the seller could tell me what did not work and why. Unfortunately, that is not my world. I did survey our boat, we ran it on plane at WOT throttle, pulled the boat to inspect the hull. I knew the GPS did not work. I guess the only surprise I had was the fridge did not work. I knew also that the anchor did not work. Lots of "minor" stuff. If it did not run what I could determine as right I would have run away from it. As long as the hull was in good shape and it ran well I figured I could figure out the rest of it which I pretty well did. I also looked at a boat with the out drives on this one, broker claimed to have never heard of any problems with them- it was a nice boat and I walked away. Probably in better shape than the one I bought. It may all be simple fixes or a the biggest money pit you ever came across. I know it's tuf to pass on a "deal", just know what the deal is!
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Good move!  You will get better sleep moving forward!