Options

Where is your marina? Show your best pic.

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

Nice video Andy!  I couldn't imagine being in such a busy marina.  Kind of wild how boats anchor in there behind the wall.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    WOW some nice marinas there!
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bronte Outer Harbour Marina, Lake Ontario, Canada

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aerial shot.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dalek Where is this? Is that a dam/ lock chamber, going into the marina? for the marina only. I do not see another entrance or exit to the marina. puzzled.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I speculate it is exactly that - a tide level control gate!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Island Cove marina here in Metro Detroit is my boat's summer home. Its a small marina with only ~ 150 slips. They are all floating docks (which is rare around here), and drive-up parking right in front of your boat. I think its reasonable, with a 30'x12' slip being $2k, which fits my boat perfectly.

Its right on the lake, so 5 mins and you're on the lake.

httpislandcovemarinaorgimagesICM_Overheadjpg

The view from the swim platform, usually there's dozens of swans all summer. They're pretty but dang they're mean!

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    That's pretty wild Joe!  It looks like your cars are all part of the floating portion as well?  & that lab I'm sure is thinking, come just a bit closer and I might have to take a swim after you! :)  I had a chocolate lab for almost 17 years!  She was a great dog!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is Silky's Crows Nest Marina on a late summer morning. When full, it holds around 110 boats. All floating docks, which is the norm on the river in Pittsburgh.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Mystic shipyard in mystic CT. It is an old ship building town with a lot of history that is now a tourist destination with over a dozen marinas along the short mystic river. We are about a mile from fishers island sound and the Atlantic. I think it's arguably the coolest little seaside town in CT. Our marina has a pool, free paddleboard and kayaks, all the dock services you need, and the owner is a great guy. Rumor has it floating rocks are coming soon. No fuel dock but I actually prefer that. There are a bunch of fuel docks all around us. Our slip is right by the pool. Can you spot the blue 360?  A bit tricky docking on a windy day and at low tide. 
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg Do they have to take the docks out in winter? Whats the name of the Dam in the back ground?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    That's pretty wild Joe!  It looks like your cars are all part of the floating portion as well?  & that lab I'm sure is thinking, come just a bit closer and I might have to take a swim after you! :)  I had a chocolate lab for almost 17 years!  She was a great dog!
    No, the docks are attached to the seawall and pivot up and down based on water levels. The pavement is "land". It's a pretty cool setup and rare for Lake St Clair, but it works perfect for me since my swim platform is the same exact height as the dock, so there's no issues getting up or down into the boat. 

And yeah, love my labs. My chocolate is smart enough to know he ain't gonna catch the ducks. My yellow on the other hand chases them all the time. He one time went at a swan, and then turned an immediate 180 when it started hissing and swimming towards him. Lol
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    @Cableguy Greg Do they have to take the docks out in winter? Whats the name of the Dam in the back ground?
    They leave the docks in the water, but they pull them to the shore. The pylons that we have are pretty tall, but if the river ices up or has a good flow, they don't want to lose the docks. The dam in the background is officially called Allegheny River Lock and Dam #2, unofficially called the Highland Park Dam, named after the park across the river and the bridge that is just above the dam.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @cable I'm allways interested in our Ohio river system, I live across the Street from Newburhgh Locks. So  I watch the barges locking up and down from my dining room. Or front yard. We are lock #47 . Rumer has it that this lock has the most lockage. Where you are I think, the pools are smaller between dams? My river charts don't go that far. We have 55 miles to the upstream dam and 69.9 miles to the next downsteam dam. I think there is 981 miles from Pittsburgh to Mississippi. In this area the river is 2000 ft wide.  You do have to watch your navigation as there are shallow waters. In summer pool. If you do not know the area. 
    Later this summer I'm planning a 200 mile upstream to Louisville KY.
    I think it would be neet to trailer to Pittsburgh and boat all the way, To Cairo IL 
    Cabin fever is catching up, I'm ready for Rinker time!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    dalek said:
    Penarth Marina.
    This Marina is in South Wales UK. The tidal range here can be 50 feet so the lock gates were just to keep the water in. However, about 15 years ago a Mile long barrage was built across Cardiff Bay and now the whole bay is just a 500 Acre tideless pond. The light blue structures in bottom left are the locks to sea.
  • Options
    oh wow how often does the tide change that much? I guess the goverment paid for the sea locks.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    50 Feet change is the most. We have the second highest tide range in the world here. Today is 33 feet. Yes, the government paid for the barrage and the locks, as there is a government chamber at the other side of the bay. Along with the DrWho TV studios.
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    http://www.bradentonyachtclub.com/

Not where we keep our boat but it is where we spend a lot of our time.  Tied to the wall for days at a time is a treat.  Like that single boat is in this photo.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    randy56 said:
    @cable I'm allways interested in our Ohio river system, I live across the Street from Newburhgh Locks. So  I watch the barges locking up and down from my dining room. Or front yard. We are lock #47 . Rumer has it that this lock has the most lockage. Where you are I think, the pools are smaller between dams? My river charts don't go that far. We have 55 miles to the upstream dam and 69.9 miles to the next downsteam dam. I think there is 981 miles from Pittsburgh to Mississippi. In this area the river is 2000 ft wide.  You do have to watch your navigation as there are shallow waters. In summer pool. If you do not know the area. 
    Later this summer I'm planning a 200 mile upstream to Louisville KY.
    I think it would be neet to trailer to Pittsburgh and boat all the way, To Cairo IL 
    Cabin fever is catching up, I'm ready for Rinker time!
    We would love to have those distances between locks up here. It would make boating a lot more fun!!! The dams are a lot closer up here. I am 6 miles from my marina to the point in Pittsburgh, then another 6 miles to the Emsworth Lock on the Ohio. If I go up the Mon river, I hit the first dam 8 miles from the point. Some of our pools are small, 5-6 miles and others are longer, 18 or so miles. I usually stay in the Pittsburgh pool and occasionally venture up to the Highland Park pool on the Allegheny. I have made the trip up the Allegheny to East Brady, PA thru the 8 locks on that river. I want to venture to Wheeling on the Ohio and would like to hit Morgantown on the Mon someday. Just need more time off to do so.

Here is a link to the Ohio River charts.

http://www.boatlocal.com/pittsburgh/pages/navigation-charts

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    So you went to the begining of the allegheny,  thanks for the link, I must be a sick man before I knew it had spent a hour looking at your river charts. Do you have any sandy beach's to raft up at, on some those islands?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    It wasn't the beginning of the Allegheny, just as far as the USACE keeps the 9 foot depth. There are a few sand islands on the river that we beach the boat at. There is a small one between 12 mile and 14 mile islands just below Lock 3 on the Allegheny that we frequent often. There are a few more a few locks up, but those are weekend trips to go to them. The locks on the Allegheny are single chamber locks, so if you get caught behind a barge, you could be there for hours if they have to break it up.

That boatlocal site is pretty good for information. They added Louisville a few years ago by merging with the PortKY site. I have done the same thing looking at charts. I find it fascinating looking at them. My wife hates it when I spend hours looking at mindless stuff like charts. LOL.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    hahaha the wife, my wife and share a office at home, its a 12 x12 room u shaped counter top, with printers, scanners, ect. we both have our on PC, we sit 90  degrees from each other. A week  ago after I was on the fourm for half hour or so, she complained a little about it. we have not been married very long. I just keep reading, I was looking at handy's boat or somebody's out drive. And I yelled out Naked woman! Haha  her head snaped around so fast to see what I was looking at. I thought her head was going to come off. haha she did'nt think it was funny.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

MacRay Harbor, Lake St. Clair, Michigan

• Options
    @randy56....so you do know how to live life on the edge. Admirals have long memories!!!!
  • Options
    We took a 2011 Rinker EC 360 with twin 496s out on lake St. Clair for a test ride a couple of years ago. I kept looking at the depth gauge......man it was shallow for a guy who is usually in 70 to 200+ feet of water! Would be nice to anchor in though. At 6'6" I could probably stand-up in a lot of places LOL!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MT,If you ever make it to Long Island and boat in the Great South Bay you will be biting your fingernails the whole time. Most spots are VERY shallow!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    MT, here in Pittsburgh we are lucky to have 20-25 feet of water. When I anchor, I am lucky to put out 50 feet of line and rode. At my marina, the water in some places is 3-4 feet deep and you could walk in the water from slip to slip.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited March 2016
    Welcome to Mount Vernon Yacht Club.  This photo is from 2006 shortly after we installed floating docks.  We have slips for about 100 boats.  We're on Dogue Creek, which is a small tributary of the Potomac River -- ten miles from DC, 90 miles from the Chesapeake Bay.  I live a couple blocks from the club.

The neat thing about DC is that the Potomac has no heavy industry.  It's all neighborhoods like this until you get right into DC.  No building is allowed within sight of Mount Vernon (George Washington's estate), so the approach to DC by water is just beautiful. 

Oh, and DC's not bad either.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I don't know LaRea.......there seem to be a lot of rag baggers there! LOL Doesn't the click-click of their running gear (stays/halyards?) drive you nuts. At my marina we got it passed that the rag baggers had to police (Velcro) their gear to avoid the noise. They said it was "music" to their ears. I guess that's ok as my 502s are probably not "music" to their ears LOL.  BTW.... BEAUTIFUL marina location!