It's a galvanic problem?  How so?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you put 2 dissimilar metals together
  • Options
    SummerrentalSummerrental Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Hello all,.... I have the Seaward F-600 hot water heater that is about 10 years old now.  I also seem to have this problem as well (See pic).  Is the only way to correct this to either barb connect the hoses and bypass the heat exchanger? I assume it cannot be fixed and would need to be replaced if I wanted it to operate with the heat exchanger?  On a side-note...Is there any way to prevent this from happening?  I read that there may be a magnesium anode?  If so, where is it?

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Summerental,

I just replaced the whole hot water heater on my boat, it was rusty and the element didn't work so I just got a new one, it was relatively cheap and easy fix.

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I was told the entire heater needs to be replaced and can not be fixed.  I currently am bypassing it but plan to fix someday.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    SummerrentalSummerrental Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Thanks 06Rinker270 and NavyCTRC.. I will bypass for now.  I looked at it and it looks pretty simple to swap out and its easily accessible on my 2005 270.  Just seems like it should be preventable.   Thanks again!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some new models that resist corrosion much better than the older constructions and are not much more expensive. Look around for sales at some of the big marine shippers like Defender Marine etc.
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    MT hit the nail on the head, I got mine from Defender, and the new one is stainless steel so it shouldn't rust up and look crappy like the old one.  BTW: If you are a member of activecaptain.com, you get crazy discounts at defender!

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This spring, my hot water heater developed a small leak in the side of the compartment that the engine water flows through, its now disconected, but the other side works fine, replacement is in the future.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have an older water heater you can put some Vaseline jelly on the connector at the tank and it will significantly reduce corrosion at that location.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:

If you have an older water heater you can put some Vaseline jelly on the connector at the tank and it will significantly reduce corrosion at that location.

That's what I did when I installed my new water heater a couple of seasons ago.
    2008 330EC