Options

Smarty pants, I really could use your help! 350 Mag trouble SOLVED?? MAJOR UPDATE

Comments

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Sadly I have not been enjoying much besides the dock..  Cracked a 4th exhaust manifold, fired the “certified mercury part swapping shop” and have been sitting dead In the water waiting in line for the next shop to get to my boat which is estimated the week of July 4th.  I have never, never had any issues with running this boat, never has it hydrolocked or cracked manifolds until they touched it.  Can’t figure out what has changed.  This is a terrible year so far.   

Just before i realized the manifold was broken again I moved the boat to the end of the dock and back to my slip to pump out.  Upon arriving back I discovered the broken manifold side riser was cold where the 3 other manifold risers without problems was warm.   Does this suggest anything to anyone?

@212rowboat
    @Alswagg
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    @212rowboat.  I don’t have any mods to the motors, what ever came factory for these motors. 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raw water pump impellor installed wrong?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there 2 different type of gaskets? One that is "open" and one that is "sealed" (for the lack of a better term)? Maybe you have the wrong gasket............... Just thinking out loud. Good luck bro this really $ucks big time........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    There are 3 types, open, restricted and blocked.   They are easily able to be identified after they are installed by looking along the contour lines of the riser/manifold.  If the gasket is fully contoured on both ends, it is the open version, if the end towards the front of the motor is straight but the rear is contoured it is restricted, lastly if the gasket is straight and not contoured on either side it is the blocked.

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the reason it's cool is because it's busted. 

the pipe inside a pipe exchanges the heat with the water jacket, warming the water jacket and the reason sealed manifolds get warm... when the jacket is busted, the water puts the heat source out and the heated water and exhaust spits out the exhaust at higher RPM and floods the engine at lower...

you said long block, right?  so... new heads... did you check the heads on a flat to see if the surface was true? 

you may want to consider the mighty remflex gasket if you have to replace the manifold (obviously, you do).  they will seal up any imperfections.     
  • Options
    Sadly, I am starting over again after again after again.   The new shop mechanic seems to think something is wrong with the head.  

I went through the entire water system again last night, there is no obstructions.  The cylinder head must be damaged.   

• Options
    so.... 

head issues could be that it is out of flat, either the decks or the ports.  

the springs could be wrong, the rockers could be wrong, the valves could be wrong, the seats could be wrong, the seals.  

i hate to repeat this- but a vacuum gauge will tell you everything you need to know about the head, even if you have an exhaust leak or an intake leak.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    !00% with @212rowboat......a vacuum gauge ends the guessing.
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought.
    Surely there must be a check valve somewhere to stop the manifold water draining when the engine is at rest. 212rowboat or Alswagg will know.
    Even though the water flow is good, if the manifold is draining backward somehow, when the hot engine is off, the manifold will heat soak, and possibly fracture when the flow is resumed. Has it ever fractured when the engine is started from cold? Are the fractures all at the top end?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Invite 212 to pass thru on his annual trip to Michigan.  

BTW, for those who missed it. Massive flash flood damage in/near Houghton, MI on Sunday. This is in the north tip of the UP in Mich.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geesh wild.... I would not know what to suggest at this point, I would not know what to do either....might be cheaper to fly Al in to look at it that keep shooting in the dark or 212....these guys seem to know their stuff for sure.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something has to be hiding and overlooked, for it to follow to a different engine seems very strange!?

"I recently replaced the long block on the starboard side as well and the problem persisted"

2008 330EC
  • Options
    i'm a jackleg, Al is a professional... there is a huge difference.  

are the gaskets the right ones?  there seems to be a huge selection of those things, and it's dang easy to use the wrong ones. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Al is a professional among professionals but you, @212rowboat are one super smart, well-read man with many insights. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    laser targeted IR thermometers are now quite inexpensive. Note the accuracy is woeful if the thing your trying to measure is shiny. OK for comparative measurements.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Al,

I am suspicious of the check valve being stuck at first.  However I want to say it was stuck open,  should there be a spring in that valve?  If i blow decently thru the bottom of the valve it closes off, it seems that with any water pressure it would float up and close off the entry to the manifold.  I have been researching this valve tying to understand its proper function.  

• Options
    Is it possible for the valve to be installed backwards?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    No,  plus I have verified it’s orientation with the other manifolds.  First couple times we cracked the manifold with in 20 minutes.  This time around I drove probably 6-7 hours on the boat before cracking the manifold again.  

• Options
    I think I figured this out.  Follow me here.  When the shop who had the boat was replacing manifolds then having me go test I had a 30 minute minimum idle speed run out of the river.  When I had them put the last manifold on the boat was back at my marina, my marina has direct lake access.  I tested the boat a few times then drove it to Sandusky, to the islands a few times and back to my marina.  The night before it cracked the manifold again I went to a restaurant that had about a 30 min idle run in then back out.  Next day manifold was cracked.   I just made this realization.   Now, when checking the water system I found out that blowing air in the bottom of that check ball t valve that flows water into the manifold that it blocks off the flow 100%.    I am thinking that the manifold is overheating when idling then once I throttle up the belt driven impellers send a hush of water into the hot manifold cracking it.  It all makes sense.  Can anyone confirm if that ball should be blocking flow up when blowing through it?  Can I temporarily remove that ball and test with a new manifold?

• Options
    so.... 

head issues could be that it is out of flat, either the decks or the ports.  

the springs could be wrong, the rockers could be wrong, the valves could be wrong, the seats could be wrong, the seals.  

i hate to repeat this- but a vacuum gauge will tell you everything you need to know about the head, even if you have an exhaust leak or an intake leak.  
    We did the vacuum test last year and all checked out well.  Anyhow, i just found a awesome link for how to read a vacuum gauge.   Click the link for the flash player if you dont see the gauges about mid way down the screen.  http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

• Options
    Alright boys and girls...  Here is a update, and possibly the final one.   

So I finally gave up with the "pros" and took this back into my own hands.   I really got deep into this and learned the water system inside out.  Here is what i discovered.

This motor has what is called a single point drain system, part of this system is a series of check valves, you have a main one on the rear of the engine that is spring loaded and that unit opens via pressure from the raw water pump and closes via the spring when the engine is off.  Next up are two ball valves that are located on the bottom of each of the manifolds, these have a floating plastic ball that is supposed to float up and reduce flow going up into the manifold from the bottom port.  These valves are designed as a tee, with water coming up through the bottom via a distribution manifold near the front of the motor.  The water comes from that manifold and travels into the floating ball valve which is suppose to restrict two much flow from going straight out the manifold so the rest of the cooling system gets adequate pressure and flow.  The other leg of the tee is above the the ball valve and is fed off the thermostat housing.

I recently discovered something in common that had been overlooked, it seems the manifold was cracking only when cruising at idle for extended periods of time.  I made several long distance trips that did not start or end with a lengthy wake speed travel.  After making this realization i went back to the cooling system, determined there there must be something wrong.  I decided to pull the hose from the tee on the manifold that is fed from the thermostat housing and fire the engine up.  I expected to see flow from both of those hoses, since they are fed from the thermostat housing they should always have full flow to the manifold.  What i discovered was not what i expected, i had very little water coming from those hoses, some but not quite what i expected.  What i did not expect was to see the port side of the motor (good manifold) flowing a full force jet out of the t valve, the broken side occasionally spitting water.   Continued below

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Now how can that be?  These valves are supposed to restrict water from flowing straight out the motor so that the rest of the engine gets adequate cooling too.  

Well my mind starts racing, what is going on here. Could this matter or not?  The tee on top from the thermostat housing should be providing cooling water still to the manifold.  Surely this wouldn't cause a problem would it, or would it..  

Lets dive deeper, i am suspect I am cracking manifolds at low rpm wake speeds, what happens when we are low rpm.  The water pressure drops from the high of 11psi to around .9-1psi.  We are getting very little flow at that point, but now i have a ball valve on one side that is completely shutting off water flow to the manifold that and the other side is stuck wide open allowing all the water to flow straight out that side unrestricted.  

Remember, water just as electricity will take the path of least resistance.    Now i feel like I'm on to something, I need to replace or remove this single point drain system valves and ensure i have equal water to each of the manifold at low speeds when we are not getting high psi from the water pumps.  

So i decided to order a 5th manifold and gasket set.  I get ready to install it but I'm not taking any chances here.  What else could be wrong.  I grab the 3" riser, if i had low flow could this be damaged?  There are 4 water cooling passages, one on each side flowing up out the top holes on each side.  How is this cooled?  Just the water passing on the sides?  I buy some plugs and plug two holes on the top and blow into one of the holes and discover i get a faint hint of air leaking into the other hole.  I can hear the tone change as i put my finger over the hole on the opposite side.  So.... do these riser have a cooling passage internally to flow water from one side to the other ultimately cooling the sides of the riser?  I start trying to find out, so i call the "pros" again, 2 shops tell me absolutely not, there is not a cooling passage but how can i be hearing air to the other side, your not he said. That is solid cast.  So i drive over to one of them and show them, i am indeed hearing this.  He picks up his phone and calls a Mercruiser engineer he knows, this guy knows everything.  He says no, confirming what the "pro" told me.  I still don't believe it, he says its cracked inside the metal from one side to the other but not through into the exhaust.  I don't hear air leaking into the exhaust but I'm not buying this is cracked. I think there is a water passage in it.  I look with a borescope, it is heavily corroded and i see what i believe to be a water passage but it appears corroded completely shut.  I call the real pro, @Alswagg and ask him.  He had never heard of anyone replacing one and have never checked one himself but he was convinced there has to be a water jacket that cools the sides of the riser, that is straight fire shooting up through there.  Continued

Post edited by Wildboating on

• Options
    Soon you will be a certified Merc teacher!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    So now I'm in a pickle, one says no the other says yes.  Well either way, if it is not suppose to have a cooling passage it must have cracked, if it was supposed to it is completely sealed off, i can only muster up enough breath to blow hard enough to hear a faint sound of an air leak to the other side.   So now i need a riser, this thing could be overheating due to lack of cooling on the sides, possibly cracked into the exhaust port and allowing water into the exhaust port prematurely.  Unfortunately, you can't order just one, i have to buy a kit of 2 that also includes all new gaskets.  

That brings me to today, i just finished redoing the water system, i decided to get rid of that crappy tee valves and put back the original drain plug style, i connect the 2 lines off the distribution manifold together instead of capping them off and take the manifold cooling lines off the thermostat housing direct to the manifold port.  Now, we must flow the water through the engine and there is no where for the pressure or flow to escape without it being evenly distributed.   

Both manifolds have full flow to them, the riser is nice and cool on all 4 sides, the engine is not getting water into the manifold and it SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THE GOOD MOTOR.  I also discovered that rpms came way up, last time i put a new manifold on i was able to get from the low rpms of 3600 to 4600.  Will this be the END OF THIS SAGA?  It took 6 "pro" attempts, thousands upon thousands of dollars from me and replaced every part on the engine before I discovered a fundamental basic flaw.  If we are cracking the manifold, should'nt your very first go to be to 100% verify proper water flow at all times while understanding how the system works.  5 manifold before this, and not once did a "pro" shop do any diagnostics, not once did they verify the flow, not once did they check or investigate the cooling passages which led me to looking at the riser and ultimately discovering it was bad.  

In wrapping up, i suspect this is the end of this saga, i suspect that i have always had a small crack in the exhaust manifold for the last 4 years, the ball valves finally become so bad that one was stuck wide open and one was stuck fully closed.  The manifold could no longer take the heat and we opened up the small crack flooding the engine and hydrolocking it, the pros replaced several manifolds and reinstalled the bad valves and riser.  We went into a instant cycle until i took over and started diagnosing the problem the pros only cared to sell me parts that i did not need, charge me $100 per hour to install these parts and then pick the next target part they wanted to replace.  

This is not a bash on full time shops, but I was taken pretty bad by them.  Some are better then others. I just can’t understabd how you could physically take 2 broken parts off the old manifold and install them on the new manifold and not once check them to see if they are broken. 

I feel really good about it being solved, Im praying it to be so, what say you?  
    Post edited by Wildboating on

• Options
    Both manifolds at idle are running the exact same temp of 170ish on the outsides.   The starboard engine runs at 155 degrees full warmed the port motor is seeing 146 fully warmed up.  I assume this is just a difference in the thermostats.  Both are under 160 which should be good.

• Options
    This could easily be turned into a book!
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    WOW what a saga, congrats and good job figuring that one out. Hope it stays running well for you. 

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, excited to see this, hope that this completes this. You’ve certainly got and given a heck of an education. Hopefully we will see you running around Sandusky bay.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WoW! You have great patience and acted exactly how I would’ve. Even if the pros tried I would still be digging to figure it out! Even though you paid enough, it pays to do it yourself!!!! Hopefully this is the end!
    2008 330EC