Options

Survey today, fingers crossed.

SheriSheri Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
We are about to pull the trigger on a 2005 Rinker 342 EC, She has 350 MerCruisers with Bravo 3 Drives. 97 hours on the engines and 34 hours on the Gen. She is going to need a good buffing and cleaning but other than that so far she looks like she was cared for. what should I be asking the surveyor? I have never purchased a boat that needed one so this is new to me.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any pictures you can post?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    She has been in a high and dry for a few years and is pretty dusty but the potential is there. I will try to get photos of her.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    Make sure there are no leaks at the transom brackets inside. Its happened to a few of us. 
  • Options

okay, I will bring that up. Anything else that comes to mind?

• Options
    Well, my surveyor missed a lot of things so I hope yours is thorough. What is the condition of the Gas? Old? Also he will check all the fiberglass areas for any soft areas from water leaks. Are there any stains in the ceilings? My fuel tank vents were missing the covers so rain got in the tanks though not much. He will check all the lights, etc. Make sure the fire ext in the engine room is fully charged. He should also go over every system, generator with load on it. AC unit, etc. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much, I am heading to the Marina now. I will let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    Im 2 hours away. I may have drove up to look at it. 
  • Options

It is going well so far, they are finished with the inside and are in the middle of the Hull out. Hubbie is staying there while they finish. the boat is being sold from National Liquidators so it is as is. It is being reassure washed now they said it was only in the water about 4 weeks but it looks like they underestimate that by looking at the growth.

• Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Seems like that boat did most of it's life just sitting, I would replace anything rubber right away.  Impellers (x2 motors x1 genny) hoses, plug wires etc...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Check for moisture in the swim platform and foredeck.  Make sure they do not have a lot of flex that could indicate water intrusion.  Good luck!
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Once you finish the survey and are assured of no significant issues, you will love this boat.
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Check for moisture in the swim platform and foredeck.  Make sure they do not have a lot of flex that could indicate water intrusion.  Good luck!
    Do you think it would be possible to assess moisture problems and/or damage if the boat has been on a high and dry for a few years?

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We bought our first Rinker, an 01' 310, from National Liq here in Cleveland and I was in contract on an 06' 342 at Nat's Liq this past spring until it failed survey with wet stringers and we bailed and found another from a private seller up here. From the pics that boat looks WAY better than most of the NL boats up here. They are usually outside for 1-2 years before being sold due to the foreclosure process so any deck moisture issues should be easy to see by surveyor. They do shrink wrap them up here for the winter. Being a repo I would definitely do a full engine check. Compression, oil, sea trial, etc... You will love this boat as Tony said. Even if all of the pumps pass survey (sump, fresh water, toilet, etc) still know that you'll probably have to replace them in the first year. No biggie. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Moisture in the hull would dry out over time if stored on land.  Moisture in the foredeck or swim platform would be from rain, so it would not be affected by storing the boat on land.  
  • Options
    small leak in the hatch above the stove, tach does not work both remotes to the radio do not work needs bottom job, bellows need replaced and needs zink plates. all in all not to bad I think. so what do you think?
  • Options
    If thats all he could find
  • Options
    Knowing hubbie like I do he will be looking at placing the stereo anyway. so that is good. the hatch above the stove can be fixed easy enough. The marina that hulled it out quoted 2600.00 for the bottom job I have no idea about the Zink plates or bellows. so I am thinking I am looking at less than $4,000.00 and some elbow grease to shine her back up and she should be good. I am anxious and excited all at the same time. He took about 3.5 hours going over the whole thing so it looks like all might be well. 
  • Options
    Next is sea trial
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Nice short punch list.  The Faria tachs are pure junk.  It is on my bucket list to change from our Farias to a different brand.  The one you have that does not seem to operate might operate if you tap on it.  Also if you pull the panel, easy enough to do you might find it is a loose plug or maybe it is set for a different cylinder setting.  They should have settings for 4, 6 and 8 cylinders as I remember it.

So far I have never lost both of them at the same time.

A recommendation.  You should consider installing a fuel flow guage.  Good information to have access to so easily.  While I am on the subject of adds, I also recommend the installation of a fume sniffer in the engine room.  Great to see at a glance from the helm that all is well down there.

Congrats, or did I jump the gun?

Tony n Pat
    Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Another thing I did was to remove the Ramarine from the panel, cover the opening over with a piece of Bakelite and remount the Ramarine via its optional bracket to that.  Then you can rotate it any amount all the way to horizontal making it many many times easier to see and use.  The bakelite panel, besides supporting the Ramarine from its bracket has tons of additional room that you can mount switches and things for things you may be adding in the future.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Moisture in the hull would dry out over time if stored on land.  Moisture in the foredeck or swim platform would be from rain, so it would not be affected by storing the boat on land.  
    High and dry storage so it should not see rain exposure.
  • Options
    Sheri said:
    Knowing hubbie like I do he will be looking at placing the stereo anyway. so that is good. the hatch above the stove can be fixed easy enough. The marina that hulled it out quoted 2600.00 for the bottom job I have no idea about the Zink plates or bellows. so I am thinking I am looking at less than $4,000.00 and some elbow grease to shine her back up and she should be good. I am anxious and excited all at the same time. He took about 3.5 hours going over the whole thing so it looks like all might be well. 
    Glad to hear there was such a short list!  $2600 seems high for bottom paint (especially if they plan to simple pressurize wash and paint 1 coat).  What will they do for that price?  Zinc anodes should be about $300 installed for the pair.  Not sure about bellows but you should definitely align the outdrives while doing this work.  Also, I would pull the props, check for corrosion on the bearing carrier, and relube the splines.

Did you check the drive lube?  

I would change the drive lube and engine oil immediately.

Given the bellows, are you able to do a sea trial?

If, $2600 is correct then expect to spend closer to $5000.

I will be curious to hear how negotiable Nat. Liq. was with the price.

• Options
    10  grand and your in the water LOL
  • Options

Ouch Handymans342.... on the bellows they said they were dry but not cracked so they suggested we replace them while it is out for the bottom job. We had them pressure wash it for the inspection and x-ray. So I will have to ask what the 2600 is for before I say okay.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    You just keep track of all your spending starting with today
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MDboater I have bought one boat from NL, been in conteact on another, and went back and forth in bids on a couple of others. Simply put it all depends on the bank and the competition. The bank would not budge more than 15% lower than "starting bid" on the 342 I bailed on, but I bought the 310 for 40% less than asking. I was in negotiation on a Sea Ray this spring that went at or above the asking. The bank has a min number and usually there are lots of other people low balling. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X-ray is fine but you want your hull checked with a moisture meter - particularly near that leaking hatch. There are some pictures on this forum of a deck repair that may illustrate the point.
  • Options

Its Official we got her!! excited and ready to start cleaning her. The name of the boat is Nautical Mistress and since she has had that name for so long we will keep it.