Options

Sad Time of Year

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is in the shop. Had an opening to get it in. Replacing both transom assemblies with SeaCore ones. Swapping my dash over to 100% digital this winter too: VesselView 703 or 903 if I can fit it in. Zero gauges. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just winterized mine today... gave it a nice fresh coat of bottom paint, hopefully it lasts the winter in the keys!  :D
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Hey BD keep us posted on the work be interested to see when it's done. Did you have leaks in your transom 
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Hey @PickleRick: when Clemson is playing come down to CHS and we'll have fun on the boats!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I am very interested in boating around chuck town. Ive been looking at sub 400 dollar chart plotters/fish finders.  Once i pull the trigger on one ill be ready to head down.  I have a few upgrades planned for the boat over the winter to make it a little more hospitable.  23 ft for 2 adults is tight. Add a kiddo its worse. Add a fluffer and I'm ready ride behind the boat on a dingy!
  • Options
    @goalie59. I was getting some water weeping at the steering pins. More noticeable when loaded up with fuel/people. So figured get it done with. The place replacing the transom assy did the JR repair with two customers.  They refuse to do it anymore. 

So two new SeaCore transom assy being installed. One was out already and the rust drip stains verified the leaking. 16 years. I guess I cannot complain too bad. lol. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

Thats a wrap for me this season, been dealing with constant rain and flooding this year so happy to just be done.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine will be the 15th. With a starboard drive issue losing gear lube and it's not into the bilge I am opting to haul at boat club and truck down to the winter home here my mechanics are that can look at it. Not risking going down on one engine through 5 locks and 165' of drop plus another 12 at the Federal into the tidal Hudson. Knowing my luck it will be a great day until the first lock where it will pour down and blow 50mph. Worth the stress relief to follow her down on the back of a semi.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang guys..not been a good season for a lot of you...so sorry...keep the rinker faith. Just remember heading accros the bay...wind in your face...Top gun theme playing....
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Hey @rasbury it’s called owning a boat. It happens, can’t complain, had no major issues the last 6+ years we’ve had her. One of those things.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Im roughing it today.  High of 72,   yesterday was 95.   Water is still plenty warm for launching solo(i have to get near waist deep to launch by myself)  

Instead of swimming its a fishing day...well so far its been an eating day.  The fishing may or may not happen. The eating is going to continue.  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Washed my hands in the head sink and it wasn't draining.  When the po removed the pump out porta potty plumbing he didnt remove waste hose the hose and tucked it behind sink drain hose causing a kink. Also appears the old waste pump out leaks as the tube was full of water. It was capped off with duct tape.   Probably filled up in the last storm we rode out. 

Only had to remove under sink cabinet to find this.   I did finally get my sc fishing license and a couple poles in the water. First fish I've caught in the rinker.  Cats are considered fun to catch here yet on the coast they are referred to as a trash fish. 
  • Options
    Mine has been one thing after the other and it started with an engine replacement the first weekend of ownership.  I feel like older boats just seem to last longer. Not sure why.... 

My drive is currently in about 15 pieces in a shop here in FL... the nice thing is they dont completely rip you off like they do up north.. the estimate is 2500 to redo bellows replace ujoints, all seals and the gimbal bearing..  repainted the bottom last week, sanded the housing and trim tabs an hour ago...  it never ends. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love cat fish fingerlings...
  • Options
    @J3ff All part of the fun if you will. Those big dollar hits are the toughies. I figure per outdrive (for me) has been about $800 / year in repairs/replacements if annualized. That is not preventive maintenance cost. The outlay so far in two chunks: 2x blown drives and doing both transom ****’y now.  

All that said, my wife has horses and they make the boat look cheap!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    \
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    @J3ff All part of the fun if you will. Those big dollar hits are the toughies. I figure per outdrive (for me) has been about $800 / year in repairs/replacements if annualized. That is not preventive maintenance cost. The outlay so far in two chunks: 2x blown drives and doing both transom ****’y now.  

All that said, my wife has horses and they make the boat look cheap!
    This boat is my first boat that is newer than 1990.  The older boats def didnt' have all the fun stuff and cool things that this 2004 does, but i do have to stay that they didn't have all the problems.  Before my rinker I had no idea what a transom mount was and no idea that they could go bad. my 1984 boat had the same transom mount it came with! Seems like at some point they just last and last!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's probably it for me this year. Pic taken on my last outing last Tuesday.
    Was going to try and get  out yesterday but 30 knot winds and 4 foot waves. Off on Friday, maybe a quick run if the weather cooperates. Last weekend of the month my Dad has heart surgery, so will be spending time with him. And we have to be out of our slips by Nov 1st this year as apparently they are going to dredge the harbour starting that day. It needs it, the water always drops here in the fall as the water level is dropped to feed the locks and to minimize ice damage over the winter. On Tuesday heading out I marked 1.9 feet or about 23 inches. Specs show I need about 26" with drive up, and I did feel a slight drag as I rolled over the mouth. Luckily a soft bottom. Took all the mattresses and cushions out today, cleaned and defrosted the fridge, winterized the head and shower sump. Ready to pull and block. Rats!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Is that guy in the pic trimmed all the way up throwing a wake and a rooster tail lol
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious where are they going to put the mud they dredge out of that canal? Today was Thanksgiving day in Canada. Be thankful you have had a great year of boating. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing like going down Main st.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Ha ha that's funny. Did you take off any mirrors 
  • Options
    My turn tomorrow....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Our 342 comes out Friday.  Not the very best season we've had but not too bad.  If you don't include having to replace the starboard engine.  That earned me the club's beloved "bent prop" award for the year.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Too early for hockey smack talk.  But ... soon!!
    Well we can do Nationals smack talk then. Go Nats!!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I need to do is put my winter cover on. Put 78 hours on her this season. Made it to the Rinkervous this summer. Overall it was a great season. Sad to see it come to an end. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I need to do is put my winter cover on. Put 78 hours on her this season. Made it to the Rinkervous this summer. Overall it was a great season. Sad to see it come to an end. 
    78 hours is great year
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I needed to add this pic to this thread, LoL!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Had it buffed, winterized, and shrink wrapped last week. Next spring will be bottom paint and she will be ready for the season. 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Just curious where are they going to put the mud they dredge out of that canal? Today was Thanksgiving day in Canada. Be thankful you have had a great year of boating. 
    I beleive there's an area nearby that needs fill. Thankful for the year, but between bad weather and schedule I only managed 50 hours this year. Had over 80 last year.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)