Snap in carpet

zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
When I purchased my boat last winter it came with carpet
carpet was in good shape had no snaps and was regular carpet with no rubber backing.
So I added snaps and to extend the carpet life I just completed a plasti dip spray on backing.
it should work and give me few more seasons
i am not trying to make it water tight but stop the carpet backing from falling apart further 
once on the boat I will follow up on how it holds up

Comments

• luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    I am looking to replace my carpet in a 270 FV this winter.  I have the original carpet, but it is worn out and needs replacing. I got one estimate of 935 from a marine upholstery guy I know to duplicate the pattern but that seems crazy. SnapInCarpet.com has the pattern for 603 so I may go that route. Not sure their quality will be that great from what I have read. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Handyman. I will go that route unless another option comes my way. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    snapincarpet is definitely very good quality.  935 dollars is crazy for a 270!  Heck, crazy for my 400!  I did mine a few years ago and was around $600.  Do you have a local canvas shop to check with?  If so, try there and compare.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I may check with another canvas guy or even a carpet store. 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    On my old boat I had a carpet guy come out and make three pieces from scratch 
    it's the way to go and was way cheap then some store places around here.
    it was the bet backing and carpet at that time.
    price was around 600 that's a 9 ft beam and they had to make the template.
    store everyone uses here tried to charge me 1200 with install lol
    i might do the same for this rinker if I keep it long enough. For now plasti dip will give me a season or two
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly advise looking in to luxury woven vinyl made by infinity if you are making this investment. I am going with it. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had Corinthian Marine Carpet do my 280EC carpets last year and it was around $550.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Greg did you get the Aqua weave or Berber?  Wondering what Aqua weave looks and feels like and how the snappers system worked out. 
    I went with the berber. The admiral wasn't sure about the weave. I would want to feel it on my feet before I bought it.
    Go Steelers!!!
    So Greg do you like the Berber from Corinthian?  I am also cautious of the weave. How does the snapless system work? Did you leave the snaps in your floor? 
    I borrowed a professional snap tool from the mechanic at my marina to put the snaps in. The carpet is nice. If it gets wet, sometimes it smells like cat pee. I am going to scrub it with a carpet scrubber this winter to see if that helps. I do like the carpet despite the occasional urine smell. It has held up very well over the last two seasons and it cleans up easily.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Greg, use a pressure washer on the carpet.  I've done that every year on my carpets and it works great. Just don't get it close (within a couple inches) or it will fuzzy the threads.

Thanks Greg. 
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Someone on here recommended this to me.  I will be doing this during the off season as my backing is falling apart.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YZ5IY4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=118RCSKZBGPES&coliid=I2LH7TJI9V3PHP&psc=1
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    zaverin1 said:
    On my old boat I had a carpet guy come out and make three pieces from scratch 
    it's the way to go and was way cheap then some store places around here.
    it was the bet backing and carpet at that time.
    price was around 600 that's a 9 ft beam and they had to make the template.
    store everyone uses here tried to charge me 1200 with install lol
    i might do the same for this rinker if I keep it long enough. For now plasti dip will give me a season or two
    Did you try the carpet guy on North River across from Markley?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Using the plasti dip from Home Depot will definitely help get more years out of worn carpet backing. Worked great on my worn spots. That said if you are going to replace your cockpit carpet I can promise you that you will regret not considering the "weave" (Woven Vinyl) when you pull up next to a newer Rinker or Sea Ray or most of these brands and see this in their cockpit flooring. I was considering new carpet as I'd never seen woven vinyl. Then we moved to a new dock this summer which had a coupld of newer sea rays with this flooring, by the end of the summer several of us on the dock are ready to switch to it. Worth considering, you can get free samples to touch/feel from most suppliers.

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I have a guy stodge that's half the price of that rip off place across from markley

Liberty based on your recommrbdatiin I will get a sample of the woven vinyl. I have a few months to get the carpet so why not? Thanks, because I had ruled it out as not soft enough. 
    Yeah, both myself and the admiral did not like the new vinyl stuff for the same reason as luvin, not soft enough.  It also was just not what we liked.  But, this is why there are so many choices. 

I requested and should receive samples of the Aqua weave as well as the Berber carpet from "snap in carpet.com" soon. One question that maybe someone can answer. The company has the template for a 2004 rinker FV 270. It sure looks exactly like my 2006. Anyone know if the floor layout is exactly the same? Snap in carpet.com sent me the dimensions but is not 100 percent sure. 
    They should be the same. The change in layout was between 2001 and 2002.
    Go Steelers!!!
    Dream has a good point on the weave not being as soft. There are 2 - 3 thicknesses of infinity weave. It does come thicker and softer like berber but not sure if snap in carries that and its more $ of course so good to get samples. I actually went with their thinner material because of price and I am doing it on my swim platform so I wanted easy roll up and storage. Good call getting samples, my only point on pushing the weave was to make sure to consider both rather than just one and make a fully educated decision. Good luck! 

The attraction of the weave to me is the ability to easily clean it and dry it out more quickly. Some of my guests are red wine drinkers. That is a tough one to get out of berber. 
    @luvinlife check out this video. Condiments, red wine, coffee, etc... all hoses right out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRUpZ-Ptr4 

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    None of those stains are really greasy or oily though. I wonder how those would wash out? Before I figured out how to fish the oil drain tube through my transom plug, I was changing my oil and accidentally spilled some motor oil on the carpet. No amount of carpet shampoo, other detergents/degreasers, power washing, etc. has gotten it completely out. Carpet will be replaced eventually, so looking at options.
    I've had a quite a few of those items spilled on my carpet and it came out with immediately pouring Selter water on it.  Yes, an entire bottle of wine comes out with a bottle of seltzer.  As far as oil, I do my yearly maintenance right before I winterize, making sure all the carpet is already out for the winter.

Liberty thanks for sharing. Impressive. I will report back when I get the samples 
    Got the samples and I am sold on the vinyl weave. It's not as soft as the Berber but has a nice clean look and is soft enough. I am going with the basket weave  color number 2 
    Looking forward to pics!