Options

Venting on the look of new boats

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
OK this has been mentioned on the forum before but here goes. first of all I do not mean to insult anyone so please dont take it that way. Went to the Boston boat show and no Rinkers as well as a few other "major" brands. Here is my rant......... The look of the new boats are horrible. Look like space ships that George Jetson should be driving. The hard top look IMO is horrendous. Totally enclosed, feels like I was sitting in a car with a sun roof. The 46' SeaRay was garbage to say the least. Looked like a giant bubble and for $949000 you would think that the electric outlets would at least be straight. Everyone was crooked. I always thought that most people on a boat want to be "outside" and in the sun. This European design IMO really stinks. The more I see the newer boats the more I love mine. I will continue to keep mine in great shape and keep her forever..............I am sure I am going to get my lunch handed to me on this one.......... Just say'n.........  
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Raybo, I do understand where you are coming from.  Especially with being all closed up.  We do differ on the opinion of the hardtops, but having glass enclosure all the way around may be taking it too far.  There are times I say I'd like that (when I have to put up my isinglass, or deal with it, but in the summer months, I wouldn't want glass all the way around.  There aren't really times that I didn't want the hardtop. In the hot sun, it is very nice.  Canvas makes it just as hot (believe me, I've gone from my boat to a canvas) as not having it up at all in the sun.  At night we just lay on a pad on the front to look at stars.

At some point it will all change again.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray, aren't you as old as George Jetson? RLMAO
  • Options
    DI one of the points I was trying to make is that the  boat companies are jamming it down on the customers throats. I would guess that almost all of the bigger boats came that way. IMO boating is about being outdoors and enjoying nice weather. Sure hardtops are nice on certain style boats but to be closed in on a cruiser is not my cup of tea. Different stokes for different folks but at least have an option not to get it if you dont want it. I understand canvas can be a PITA to deal with but it does give you the best of both worlds. I am not trying to beat this into the ground just stating my opinion..... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ray, aren't you as old as George Jetson? RLMAO
    I might be younger than you.......lol
  • Options
    Oh Handy BTW George Jetson was first introduced in 1962.......... Just say'n.
  • Options
  • Options
    A trawler is totally open up top, just sayin George
  • Options
    A trawler is totally open up top, just sayin George
    Yeah those 7 knot diesel trawler's are right up your alley......... I will keep my Rinker! 
  • Options
    Think retirement Bro
  • Options
    I have about 7 or 8 years for that........ Seems forever......LOL
  • Options
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup 10 years and plan on going fast till I get there.A gasser at 40 mph and 40 gph and my face in the wind.ride the wave baby
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
  • Options
    The way I figure it, you get the size boat for the decade your age! :)  I bought a 24' at age 29 (just made that one).  A 31' at age 35, and a 40' at age 41....eyeing that 55' at 55!  (& yes, it will be a slower ride!)  when I get old (like Handy and Raybo's age :) , I will give you two a call and we can ride slow in my trawler - by then you both will be happy with a slower ride...and MT will still be racing by me! :) )

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    Totally agree.  Boat companies have lost sight of who and what the customer wants.  This is exactly why 95% of my customers who have Rinker's are keeping their pre2008 boats.  Not a single one is interested in the new designs.  
    Thanks Al I thought I was losing my mind. My 2002 342 IMO is the best looking boat at my yacht club and it gets the most attention when people visit.... Just say'n.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Why dont they do market research first? The RV industry does
  • Options
    Why dont they do market research first? The RV industry does
    Because the boat companies think they are "keeping up with the Jones". That 46' SeaRay is totally enclosed and looks like $hit and feels like your sitting in a car. HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Oh and BTW its only $949000..........
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Oh and BTW its only $949000..........
    only MT would spend that
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market for a $949k boat is the yacht market. They are looking to please those folks that don't want to be outside. They want a house on the water. They could care less about being out in the sun. The new boats look like mini super yachts.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet a lot of those enclosed helm boats are just dock queens for afternoon martinis. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @Raybo3, whats wrong with the look of the new 370???
  • Options

The hardtop Handy!  But, if it were an option, like the older boats, then everyone can be happy.  Again, I'm not a big fan of the enclosed cockpit either, just the hardtop.  I like to have the fresh air.  Heck, I don't use my air conditioning much either.  (only one time on hook have I ever ran the air overnight, because my father was on board).

• Options
    The market for a $949k boat is the yacht market. They are looking to please those folks that don't want to be outside. They want a house on the water. They could care less about being out in the sun. The new boats look like mini super yachts.
    I dont agree unless I am reading this wrong. Almost every lager boat had that look to it and the price of boats is outrages. Over $900000 for lager SeaRay's, Formula's, Regal's, Carver and so on and so on. 
  • Options
    Handy on the 370 to me its just an oversized arch. 

At least your not enclosed at the helm. 
    Sea
    Look at this boat. Totally enclosed and ugly (yeah fugly) like driving in a car. Big difference between these 2 boats 
  • Options
    It has diesels. Im sold LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It has diesels. Im sold LOL
    You know you would buy that ugly thing..... I might have to ban you again......LMFAO
  • Options

I'd buy it with a bridge on top! :)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream is dreaming 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I cant wait for Dream to work on Diesels  LOL