Options

Venting on the look of new boats

Comments

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm not stuck on the closed in concept either, takes away from the experience I think. That said I like the hardtop on say, the Rinker 370. Looks very good, and doesn't close it in too much. I'll also echo the thoughts on searay.....I compared them to the Rinkers of the same size at the boat show, and really don't see where the extra money is.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Dream is dreaming 

Always gotta be thinking of that next boat!  One of the two locations that sell this boat in the US is the marina next to me!  Talk about a beautiful, dependable boat!

I cant wait for Dream to work on Diesels  LOL

I didn't think you had to "work" on Diesels??  Handy, I've been slowly working on other friend's Diesels.  Fortunately, it's all about fuel filters and keeping fuel polished.  I'm not fond of the amount of oil, but flipping a switch and letting it go change automatically sounds good.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    @MXZ I might be crazy (shut up Handy) but the "hardtop" on the 370 looks like a big arch and not a hardtop. I dont have a problem with that. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    @Raybo3, whats wrong with the look of the new 370???
    Handy on the 370 to me its just an oversized arch. 

At least your not enclosed at the helm. 
    Sea
    Look at this boat. Totally enclosed and ugly (yeah fugly) like driving in a car. Big difference between these 2 boats 
    It's a small yacht.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get caught up in a freak storm you will wish you had that hard top
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George Jetson would look good in Ray's second picture. Surely they are offering options/ models not to have it all enclosed. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I score a lotto win, I'll never have the problem of a $900+K boat.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    You get caught up in a freak storm you will wish you had that hard top
    No I like the standard arch. What I said is that its an over sized arch. I never said I wanted it but that one I could live with. I would never buy a boat that is enclosed. UGLY!!!!!!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    Say what you will about the look of hardtops, but I'll never own another express cruiser without one.

I love the sun and being outdoors as much as anybody, but I live in Virginia.  On most boating days, the priority is staying cool.  The hardtop reduces the temperature in the cockpit by 10-15 deg F.  At raftups, everybody ends up on my boat.  If I want sun, I'll go on the foredeck or in the water.  

Do I miss having canvas?  Heck no.  I had canvas tops for 15 years.  I think I ran with the top down once, on the way home from winter storage.  

I suppose it's different up in Boston where the sun isn't so intense.  
  • Options
    I agree. Canvas for the most part is a PITA
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    LaRea said:
    Say what you will about the look of hardtops, but I'll never own another express cruiser without one.

I love the sun and being outdoors as much as anybody, but I live in Virginia.  On most boating days, the priority is staying cool.  The hardtop reduces the temperature in the cockpit by 10-15 deg F.  At raftups, everybody ends up on my boat.  If I want sun, I'll go on the foredeck or in the water.  

Do I miss having canvas?  Heck no.  I had canvas tops for 15 years.  I think I ran with the top down once, on the way home from winter storage.  

I suppose it's different up in Boston where the sun isn't so intense.  
    I can't agree more LaRea ! I had a standard arch for 23yrs and before that no arch. I loved the boats but it was a royle PITA wrestling with all the canvas. When I grabbed MT's 360 I was skeptical on how I would adjust to the hard- top, absolutely LOVE it! I never ever want to go back and if my last cruiser had a hard too it would have been awsome. It has soooo many advantages and I cant think of 1 negative. Plus I think All RINKERS look great ,RINKERS with hard-tops look bad a$$!
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Guys are you not reading my posts. I did not say anything about the Rinker hardtop and IMO its not really a hardtop but an oversized arch. Look at that SeaRay I posted. Totally different and most of the Boston Boat Show boats that I looked at were like the SeaRay ENCLOSED! Now in Virginia where its hotter than Boston if you want to be inside that then by all means go ahead. All I am saying is, is when I am on my boat I want to be outside and not feel like I am driving a car and thats how I felt sitting at the helm of those enclosed boats.
  • Options
    Here is the 46 Formula and again I dont want to be inside that. I would much rather be able to open it up........ Just say'n.....
    Image result for 2017 46 foot formula
  • Options
    They all open up
  • Options
    They all open up
    Your wrong they dont all open.Not even close. The SeaRay has what is the same as a sunroof and not even at the helm. Same with the Formula. The Formula and SeaRay's windshield only opens in the middle.......
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Guys are you not reading my posts. I did not say anything about the Rinker hardtop and IMO its not really a hardtop but an oversized arch. Look at that SeaRay I posted. Totally different and most of the Boston Boat Show boats that I looked at were like the SeaRay ENCLOSED! Now in Virginia where its hotter than Boston if you want to be inside that then by all means go ahead. All I am saying is, is when I am on my boat I want to be outside and not feel like I am driving a car and thats how I felt sitting at the helm of those enclosed boats.
    If you didn't come off as such a Crabby McCrab pants [LOL] maybe someone would invite you onboard a 360/370 with a hardtop and you will see that looks are deceiving. It's way awesome and nowhere near that of "an oversized arch". we all do have the right to an opinion I'm just trying to help you with the right opinion!  HAHAHA
  • Options
    @bry Crappy McCrab???????? Really????? LOL if you read the post I said I like the Rinker. Its more like an over sized arch. The others are garbage........... Totally enclosed junk that does not open up......... 
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I will say that when I am cruising I do not like the wind blowing in my face. 
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    Then fly a plane........
  • Options
    I think 95% of us have a boat because we like to be outside, and on the water, Having a houseboat in the past, we were never inside unless it was raining or to sleep. Otherwise we were up on the top deck, or front porch grillin and chillin. 
    These new glassed in boat's would make you feel closed in. Might as well stay home and look out the window. IMO
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more on the fully enclosed style of the newer boats.  I am planning my next one to be a hardtop as we rarely take the top canvas down, but I certainly want the ability to open it all up and get the wind in your hair feeling.  I would also think it would get hot in there with no air moving and you would need to run AC all the time.  I sit in AC all week long, I want fresh air when I am on the water.  Just my opinion.
  • Options
    See now the good guys are coming out on my behalf......lol
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭

@Raybo3

I don't know whether I would consider my hardtop an oversized arch or not. I certainly don't when I'm on top waxing that thing ...LOL !!  However......  It is one of the main reasons I bought my boat.  Having the ability to get out of the sun when you need to is a huge bonus in my book.   Could I run the gen/ac on the hook ?   Yes, I could, but that's something I choose not to do.  I could just as easily sit in my La-Z-Boy at home and not spend the money on fuel that day. Not being able to get out of the sun when you have to is a huge issue.

I agree 100% that taking the canvas off and on is a PITA, but when the canvas comes down and the weather is nice, I wouldn't trade my boat for ANY $900K glass enclosed fish bowl.

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around these "crossover" boats.  You know, the big 31'-35' bowriders with tiny little cabins up front.  One boat doesn't fit every single niche'.....and yet the manufactures try to make these things do everything, except when they do that, they are lacking in so many more areas.

I think crossovers are more of a fad, and that they may eventually go away..as those who use their boats for weekending or longer trips would find a 35' crossover extremely confining for more than a night or two.

Boats with glassed in cockpits, (especially with heat and a/c) , are nice...but I sort of feel like that's taking the "great outdoors" out of boating.  The one problem I'll never have to deal with, is worrying about what other think of my $900K boat.  At least not in THIS lifetime.

• Options
    @Dirtythirty Your boat is absolutely beautiful and yeah its a hardtop (it looks bigger than the new 370) that is not what I am really talking about. You hit the nail on the head with the word crossover. The SR and Formula that I posted are what I call hard top. But boating is boating and meant to be on the water. I dont want to be floating around Boston Harbor in a house or in a car. That is all I am saying. Canvas in a PITA but it is versatile and serves the purpose well......   
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

I think we're all on the same page :).  I certainly would not want that glassed in feeling.  I had this discussion last fall on the dock when a neighbor was moving up from his 34 cruiser to a 45 Formula.  Beautiful boat, but we all got talking how we like the "breeze".  His response was the lack of isinglass.  I have a way of solving it.  I use a canvas that is very simple to put up at the end of my weekend.  It's like a black leather that zips in where the canvas would but snaps down at bottom of windshield.  Much, much easier to put up than isinglass and I keep it on the boat for those quick rain showers.  Even if it's wet, I just put it back under the seat.

I sure do know what Dirty means about waxing that hardtop!  It's like a small boat in itself!

Canvas top does serve it's purpose and lasts a long time if maintained.  Very easy to take down when wanted as well.  I understand the choice.  Heck, my hardtop was an option when new.  I've seen it with just the arch.  So was the 42'.  That's the way the boats should be. 

@Raybo3 , you need to come down for Rinkervous and you can sit under my hardtop!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Having worked outside most of my life, developed skin cancer on my face and arms from the sun. each year I have to have small spots removed. So my double bimini top stays up all the time. Shade is your friend. Cannot stand the isinglass. Have only put it up once or twice. It stays rolled up in the cabin. 
    My vote is for an early spring.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    It is obvious that boat builders are in a funk created by greed and not knowing the customer. Boat sales are in the toilet.  
    Well they should be in the toilet. The average working family can not afford a 150000 plus boat price. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Here's some price comparison"s  as AL said there are a lot of $90k  + tritoon s out there.
    A new 2017 Rinker QX 29 open bow, 9.1 beam,  with 6.2 is $80k with trailer and cover.
    A new 2016 310LE is $149,900 with twin 350 mags
    A new 2017 370 EX is $269,000
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

randy56 said:
    Here's some price comparison"s  as AL said there are a lot of $90k  + tritoon s out there.
    A new 2017 Rinker QX 29 open bow, 9.1 beam,  with 6.2 is $80k with trailer and cover.
    A new 2016 310LE is $149,900 with twin 350 mags
    A new 2017 370 EX is $269,000

I was on them at the Toronto show......such a nice boat for the money.
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi