Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in getting props refinished, worth it?

124»

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 4,956Member, Moderator mod

No, the WOT is still at 4800 maybe 4850 rpms.  I'm still having a slight issue at WOT with my stbd engine only getting to 4650 and at that point it is out of sync with my port, but it's in sync up to about 4600rpm.  The 300rpms lower is my cruising speed at around 30-31mph is now 3750 instead of 4050.  & yes, speed is a little faster at idle but not rpms.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Handymans342Handymans342 Posts: 7,189Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks I think those props will work perfect for me
    Can you adjust your idle speed down a little bit?

Handy, I definitely think they would work great for you!  You would notice a huge improvement in hole shot, lower cruising speed capability on plane, efficiency and still same top end.  Don't be overly concerned about the idle speed.  I'm talking maybe another 1-2mph speed just clicked into gear.  It just means when docking you may have to go into neutral another time or two to keep speed down.

Definitely worth the price.  I had two different people on my dock look at them and think I spent $1500 a prop because they look to be hand made. 

• wm61356wm61356 Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 201Member ✭✭✭

Great news Dream...I've been eyeing the Hill 4 blade props for my B2 drives for some time now. It's good to know that you got good results with them. My motors both turn near the top end of the recommended RPM range with the stock 3 blade aluminum props. Based on your experience, it seems that going to the Hill 4 blade prop sized at an inch less pitch than the stock Mercruiser 3 blade allowed the WOT RPM to remain in the proper operating range on your boat, correct?

Handy - I think what Dream meant is that he can achieve a 30 MPH cruise speed at 300 RPM less that with the stock Merc 3 blade props.

Right, which means even less fuel burn than I already achieve over gassers. LOL
  • wm61356wm61356 Harrison Twp., MIPosts: 201Member ✭✭✭
    Handy- There ya go...another advantage of the 4 blade props. You're always looking at the bright side of things. LOL

@wm61356 - yes, you should see the same results that I'm having and yes, I'm having the same cruise speed with 300rpm less.  It is fantastic!!  I would advise anyone with a larger cruiser (over 30') with B-2 drives, to look into using these props.  I have no affiliation with them, but I took the chance and the results are well worth the price.  I'll even add, it is noticeably quieter.  My kids were even amazed and noted how quick we were to plane and thought it was quieter (one of the older - 2 month old - 3 blade props had some marks on it from cavitation...those of you that followed all the work done on my boat would know why...so that may be partially why it was quieter with the new props).

I think I can now beat those B-3 drive guys getting on plane!  I'm soon going to race to plane with an identical boat (my dock neighbor has one just a year older).  I'll let you know the results.  Actually, it'll be on the way up to Rinkervous in July!  I'd race the other dock neighbor with diesels but it's no battle. :)

Does your dock neighbor have B3s or B2s?
    Does your dock neighbor have B3s or B2s?

B3s...we've compared over the past and most things are about the same between the two.  Efficiency and hole shot at least. 

Well keep us posted on the results. 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 1,763Member ✭✭✭✭
    Must say they do look good.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 2,427Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm impressed. Thought after buying my 4 blade, you would notice a good difference. My cruse speed went down along with rpm, about the same 300-400 rpm slower still staying on plane. with 3x3 blades always had to run 4000 rpm to stay up, now 3700 rpm give or take, which save's fuel on long runs. Not having the modern vessel view, I cannot tell you exact #'s but you can feel the difference. 
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
124»