Options

RAIN WATER LEAKS INTO AFT CABIN

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes that gasket.  I don't have an answer to that question...but water is getting past it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    We have strong wind and rain in Chicago...blows sideways 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.......after all the heavy rain, the carpet is as wet as it gets... as usual.. guess either the window wasn't the problem or I did a bad job! :-1:  Will have to get someone down here to spay while I watch with a scope...
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture of the area?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

It's wet p against the wall in the entire part of this photo, from right under the door to the cabinet till the mattress, most wet near the water pipes.  Used a borescope and can see a puddle of water behind the cab.  
  • Options
    That's the exact area for me as well
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    So what's right above that area outside??
  • Options
    For me the closest thing would be the breaker panel and shore power inlet...to the right of that the galley window.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I've got a cleat and a window... I played with the screws on the cleat and one of them just spins freely...gottafigure that mess out I guess... 
  • Options
    My cleat is leaking. Going to seal tomorrow
  • Options
    My cleat is leaking. Going to seal tomorrow
    How'd it go? I got 3 of 4 screws out, the 4th one not only wont come out, now it wont tighten, FML
  • Options
    It has lock nuts underneath
  • Options
    yeah, how the heck do you access those?! yikes. 
  • Options
    Remove the 2 shelves/curtain box and peel away the vinyl. 
  • Options
    @J3ff - how did you remove that floor sophit to expose the water hoses?  Seen in this pic you posted?
    I'm getting frustrated with this wet carpet and the admiral is as well.  BTW did you ever find the source of your leak?

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
     on my windows I found caulking or some type of glazing was deteriorated, re - caulked with 3 M 4000. leak stopped.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 - which window was it?  I took the window in the pantry cabinet out and completely resealed it.  Still have a wet carpet.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    @J3ff - how did you remove that floor sophit to expose the water hoses?  Seen in this pic you posted?
    I'm getting frustrated with this wet carpet and the admiral is as well.  BTW did you ever find the source of your leak?

I just pulled it out and used a screw driver.. being very careful to not rip anything.. I did end up pulling out a couple screws while doing it... what I've found is that the source of the water is behind that storage compartment where the mirror is...  wherever my source leak is, it ends up pooling right behind the mirror area.. so far I've re-sealed the bow rail screws, the window and the cleat.. the only thing I have left is the rub rail, the hatch and the wind shield.. I still have no idea where it's actually coming from, but my carpet remains wet after every rain storm :( 
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    @randy56 - which window was it?  I took the window in the pantry cabinet out and completely resealed it.  Still have a wet carpet.
    same. Not sure I did a 100% professional job..but there already was a TON of caulk in there. 
  • Options
    I think I have the same thing..it's pooling behind the mirrored cabinet.  I sesealed my windshield over the winter as well.  But not sure how water could pool there if it was coming from the windshield.  I mean the boat is lower in the stern so water would want to flow in that direction.   Somehow I'm thinking the leak has to be more in the bow somewhere...but like you I have no idea.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Seems like each boat is different but it results in the same wet carpet
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen many leaks as the result of missing, loose and uncaulked windshield screws and improperly designed installed channels. On many Rinkers you carefully remove the plastic strip at the bottom of the frame which exposes the screws. The screws can be examined and tightened, replaced and/or caulked. I only use a hand held screw driver to tighten/retighten the screws (ss screws only if going to a larger diameter) and tighten them "two fingers" tight as over tightened screws will prevent normal frame expansion and flex resulting in cracked gel coat. IMO, never use a power driver. I have also had success re-caulking rub rail, shore power and railing areas.

• Options
    @skennelly I caulked all 4 windows ,in the area where my pencil is pointing and around the outside of the SS ring. used acetone for clean up. before and after. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 - So you experienced the same wet carpet in the same location and @J3ff and I?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Yes on both side's
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    So if you had a painted boat, you probably wouldn't use acetone right? 
  • Options
    I don't know J3ff
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Any progress @J3ff?  Still happening for me.  Wife wants me to rip out the carpeting because it's always wet and getting moldy.  I agree but wish I could fix.  Going to look at the windshield again and see if missed anything.  I'm afraid to go after cleats cause that appears to be alot of demo just to get to
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    Any progress @J3ff?  Still happening for me.  Wife wants me to rip out the carpeting because it's always wet and getting moldy.  I agree but wish I could fix.  Going to look at the windshield again and see if missed anything.  I'm afraid to go after cleats cause that appears to be alot of demo just to get to
    Seems to be less, but still have some coming in.

I haven't had time to get someone down there with a hose.  

I'm going to give it another try this week with a usb to tablet boroscope and a friend on the outside with a hose... 
  • Options
    Arrived to the boat this weekend... pleasantly surprised that the carpet was dry and it had rained during the week and last night.  Dry as a bone!!!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3