RAIN WATER LEAKS INTO AFT CABIN

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what did you do??
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Last weekend I removed every mooring cover snap stub and sealed them.  I also did the windshield wiper hole and the side windshield screws.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. sounds like i need to do that, my carpet was wet today after all the rain yesterday.. at this point I'm just making sure it can dry out and will mess with it more when vacation starts in  a week
    I don't use the mooring cover and there were snap studs that were lose...an obvious area where water could get in.  Windshield didn't look bad but did it anyways...who knows but worth a shot for you.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I have water leaking in the exact same location as @skennelly and @J3ff.  

I guess I will start resealing like you guys.  When resealing rub rail, you have to take out screws and rub rail or just screws?  I have sealant missing right above rub rail but I am seeing thats not too important...

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    @J3ff did you solve your issue?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    I didn't solve my water problems unfortunately.  I thought I had, but this year I'm finding water in the cabin.  Same area's.  Arrrg.  We had a ton of rain 2 weekends ago and when I got to the boat the carpet was wet right at the landing of the stairs???  I'm guessing it pooled up and come through the cabin door?  No idea.  Anytime it rains I worry about it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    I tried to take out the bow rail screws only to find out that they wouldn't come out without gaining access to the other side...so I filled em with caulk screwed them back down, 2 out of 3 went in fine and I wiped it down.

Also resealed the window near the sink... and presto chango, no water!  Assuming it was the window.. 

There was a leak on the other side as well, it turned out to be the hot water pipe connection to the faucet in the bathroom.. so far so good! 
    Man what I mess, I don’t even know where to start.  Guess I will start inspecting loose snaps and screws and look at window sealant.  What sealant did you guys use?

Im with you @skennelly every time it rains I worry about it.  Sorry to hear you still have problems.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My carpet in my 2000 270 used to get wet right where you show. Mine was also the port window behind the sink. Removed all 4 ports and re-sealed this spring and (fingers crossed) It's been good all year. Water was getting in around the port, coming down behind the galley cabinet and soaking the carpet where you indicate. The mattress might be another story. Is it wet from contact wirh the carpet? Or wet on top? If on top I'd also suspect the rail. Ports are pretty easy to start with anyway.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    @Willhound - did you have any issues with the inside frame sticking to the vinyl upholstery? I damaged the upholstery around the window when I did it and am pretty unhappy about it.  Scares me to attempt sealing other windows.  The admiral would kill me.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Thankfully, no. It didn't look like there was any sealer or anything behind the inside trim. Had to work a bit on two of them to get them free on the outside. Other than the foam seal around the portlight frame there didn't seem to be any other sealer or caulk around any of them. There is now!
    Thanks for the info @Willhound, I may start there.  What sealant did you use?

I believe the mattress is getting soaked from the carpet.  Otherwise I have no idea where it would be dripped in from.  Why would you suspect the rail? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    @06Rinker270 I used 3M 4200. Don't have a reason to suspect the rail. But if water was coming in on top I thought it might be possible. Try the ports first. It's where most of us have seen issues.
    Thank you, I will try that first and look for any loose screws along the way.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Do the large 10oz tubes stay sealed after use?  I know with the small 1oz or 3oz the ends harden and I have a hard time reusing. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    I just used regular silicone. Found the same thing behind the window, meaning almost no sealant.  I would def start with the window first and see if that fixes it! Have read a bunch of stories about that window on this model 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly I had that problem once, at the location of in front of where your right foot is when you are driving the boat,  under helm,  In the cavity where the cabin door slides. There is a drain hole. I found it clogged up with a kids small super ball. You can see the hole if you shine flash lite in there. with the door about 2/3 open,  Removed obstruction - problem solved.  Used a coat hanger straighten out to retrieve it.  If I remember correctly the drain hole was about 5/8 to 3/4
    Boat Name : 

@randy56 thanks I'll check it
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting old, it was about 4 years ago. thought about it for awhile you can see the drain hole, when door pushed all the way in. 
    Boat Name : 

I don't think this thread will ever die...ha ha

I want to seal all of my port windows this Spring.  People on here have said they have done it from the outside.  Now I know it's not the same as removing the window and doing it, but I'm looking for an easier way out and hopefully solve the water issue's I've had in past summers.

Any thoughts from those that have done it?  Details would be appreciated.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a leak( hope had applies). The panel above the midship berth has been getting wet for some time and the water was running under it to the far right starboard corner down to the mattress. So, where the helm meets the floor, right there at your feet...there would be water that would collect. Boat on the street leans to the starboard. Anyway, I took some clear silicone and ran a bead along the deck where they meet and up the corner about 8" and so far no leak. Will have to get some new wood for that panel but want to make sure first.. 
  • VeeAitVeeAit Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a 280. It is a 2008 model year and has had very little use. (only 109hrs on the engine) I too have a water ingress in the aft cabin at carpet height along the rear bulkhead separating the cabin from the engine. As the window in this area seems to be the most suspect from the threads I have read, has anyone actually sealed the outside of the window with waterproof plastic and duck tape. I’m going to give it a try to see if the window is suspect as it seems one **** of an issue just to get it out.
    Huh, you could easily run a bead of caulk around the window...it is also pretty easy to remove and if that is your leak you should see intrusion evidence. Mine still leaks. Because that panel is so isolated I'm looking at above the panel, water getting through around the trash bin. There is a pan below it with a drain and I'm suspect of that area. This weekend was replacing a leaf spring and a trim tabs actuater. I'm going to pull out the panel where the cooler goes....if you have a similar setup to my 270 you might look there as well...
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @VeeAit you may find you have better success pulling out the window and re-bedding it completely with fresh sealer on the inside.  I've had poor luck with outside fixes.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Before bothering with that try taping off suspect areas and spraying with water - I spent weeks chasing my tail needlessly when it was a simple hose-clamp loose.
    definitely will play with the hose first....
    I am back at it. This time I think it's the front port window.... Started again this season.. now that I'm in Florida it seems to rain HEAVY every day, twice a day...so it's a huge problem. Going to tackle it this weekend. !!!!
    edited August 2019
    @J3ff - It has to be the port Window.  I sealed everything and then finally this past winter seal the window towards the bow on the port side.  Haven't had any water in the cabin at all this year.

I sealed it from the outside...so no removing the window
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    That port light/window! Same for a lot of us. I respect everyone's methods but personally I'm still a believer in pulling the window. Get that sealant all around real well but more importantly allows you to inspect the  condition of the wood around the opening. I discovered mine had just the tiniest bit of rot that I cleaned up and gobbed a bunch of sealant in there. For extreme cases you can even get wood stabilizers/preservatives that come in like a hypodermic thingy that will firm up the wood and stop any rot present. Keeps me from wondering what's going on in there.