How to open the engine hatch with the batteries disconnected

13»

Comments

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Buy one of these for $60 from Amazon.  
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea, I must be missing something. If you connect a 12 volt battery's positive to post 2 and negative to post 1 current will flow from post 2 to the trigger for relay 2 closing the contacts. Current is then allowed to flow through the diode thru relay 2 contacts to the motor and then thru the diode to post 1 raising the hatch. I think that was the way it was designed to operate. I can't test it on my boat as everything has been disconnected in the engine compartment.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    You are correct.  With all boat batteries disconnected, a jump box on the override studs can raise the hatch (if both diodes are working, unlike my boat).  What the studs can't do is lower the hatch.  The diodes won't allow current flow in that direction.  
  • Options
    And again, many boats do not have this arrangement with solenoids and diodes.  My 342 did not have it, and I could raise/lower the hatch from the studs. 
  • Options
    I should have spent a little more time thinking this through. I now see the problem with the negative return on lowering the hatch.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly what we’ve been tryIng to determine - is there a way around it. Still in background @LaRea just too much end of year focus at the moment.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @LaRea, on your 346 where you could raise and lower the hatch did the posts become live when operating normally from the helm switch. My posts have insulated covers and the door is closed so unlikely to cause problems for the few seconds the normal operation takes. I know ABYC would not approve of connecting the studs directly to the motor but it's a simple fix.
  • Options
    Yes sir, direct connection.  Here's the schematic (although I never verified it).  When pressing the helm switch, there would would be +/ 12VDC at the studs.  

• Options
    I'm hoping mine is as the 2004 version. Happy Holidays everyone.
  • Options
    NickCruzNickCruz Member Posts: 81
    Hi everyone, I'm new to Rinker forum. I've talked to a few of you on my problems with my boat.  As I worked on boat I hooked a come along on the rail on top of the back seat, and other end hooked on swim platform. With batteries disconnected I just ratchet open and close with lift disconnected.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad that worked Nick but I’d be worried about breaking that hand rail on your back seat. There are people on here who have used those rails as cleats for dock lines and ripped them out of the fiberglass. I would consider you lucky so far and find another way next time. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)