Options

Trying to get input on a FV 280 single motor.

Im looking at purchasing a FV 280 with a single. Does anyone have any input about thos set up. I have rode a twin 4.3 boat with B3. That boat ran great.

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Haveing a 270, with 300 hp mpi, does great, but had to change props, for better take off, to get on plane faster. 
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with a single because I didn't want to pay for the cost of doubles.. The single does okay on a 270, but I have to say that I'd feel more secure and ready for rough weather with twins.. my next boat will have two motors.. one thing I wonder about is how much fuel having a single really saves... my 383 seems to drink gas pretty hard core I assume because it's working so hard to keep the boat on plane.. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    270  =  20 gal per hour
    342  =  30 gal per hour
    270  =  7250 lbs
    342  =  14250 lbs
    270 very cool boat 
    342 way cooler
    Just my opinion lol
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I love my 2005 270 but it is so under powered. I had to buy the Hill Marine 4x4 props to get her out of the water. I have the 350 MPI. I assume the 280 is not that much bigger but I’m not sure. I would look at past posts on the forum and you will see many people complaining of lack of power. As J3ff said the single is nice on the pocket book, but it would be nice to have twins for going on trips to have a little extra security in case of engine failure 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are looking at the newer (2007 and up) 280EC, they are great with a single and B3 drive. I have the Merc 6.2/B3 setup in mine. It has enough power to get me up on plane. If you come across one with a big block, snag it up. You won't regret that low end torque. The older FV280's only came with twins. They were a wider beam boat and had room for twins.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hmm. Can't comment on the newer 280's but unlike some, my 2000 FV270 motors right along with a 5.7L EFI. No trouble getting on plane with up to 4 people and full tanks. Have done it with 7 on board but took longer and had the largest stand up by me until on plane and then able to sit. Drive trimmed down and trim tabs down until on plane at about 21 to 23 mph and then tabs up. Stock props on the B3 drive. Unpainted and clean hull. Can only assume the newer 280 models with bigger blocks would be just that much better.
    Here is an excerpt from a thread I posted last August. You can see RPM on the tach, speed on lower left on GPS and the horizon to show attitude of the boat. All pics taken sitting flat on the seat. 
    "Around 3400 RPM, boat planes just slightly bow proud, usually around 22.5 to 24 mph depending on wind and bottom condition. No bottom paint, original gel-coat. The engine sounds happy and relaxed and I think I get my best fuel consumption at this speed. (for being on plane)

At around 3600 RPM I get a little more, not much more speed, but slightly flatter ride. Usually 26 - 27 mph.

And at around 3800 RPM I usually see around 28 to sometimes even 30 mph, nice stable flat ride, engine has a nice growl to it. You can tell it's thirsty, but just flexing it's muscle a bit.
    Post edited by Willhound on
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I had a 270 with a 350 mag mpi  horizon with b3 and 22p prop.   It ran 4500rpm at 40mph on some days 38 on others off gps.  Would cruise nicely at 27-28 but I forget rpm.  Did great with 2 adults and 2 kids. 4-6 adults..... fat guy moves next to the helm for a few seconds drive n tabs trimmed down.    I would go for a bigger engine if you plan on a crowd. 
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Head trauma there are the numbers see above posts. It’s rare that a 270 & 280 see over 30 mph. I guess it is your choice. All I know is there is a big difference go 28 mph compared to 35 mph. I would give anything to go 35 mph without being WOT. Again read past posts on 270 & 280 you find people say they are under powered 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    270  =  20 gal per hour
    342  =  30 gal per hour
    270  =  7250 lbs
    342  =  14250 lbs
    270 very cool boat 
    342 way cooler
    Just my opinion lol

Where is the 360 and 400?? :)  Very easy to cruise around 35mph all day.  She'll top out at 45mph.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm being honest I'd say the 270 is way under powered with the mag 350 and if doing it again I would have made a better choice.  My engine runs great and the boat is great but more power would be icing on the cake.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
     I also have a 270 with a 5.7 MPI although not the mag.   Although it's not a quick sporty ride it is certainly adequate and cruising in the mid-20s is what I did most of the time in my  previous boats that could go much faster.   I intentionally bought a single engine cruiser, the biggest I could find and I am completely happy with the Rinker 270. 
  • Options
    I will add in that if you have a 350 do not expect the 383 to be anything amazing.  I really didn't notice much difference, in fact it seemed to drop 2mph on the gps for top speed, but who knows why, too many variables. I would go for a big block single engine if I could do again. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Twin engines = redundancy = safety = confidence to go farther from home.

Twin screws = docking maneuverability = go out when a single-screw boat stays in the slip.

For a lot of people, those benefits mean that if the boat has room for two engines, it should have two engines.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    My 280 has twins and I wouldn’t have it any other way
    7 adults hops on plane 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you see- it's all about opinion! I have a 270, not a water rocket but I'm fine with that.  28 MPH on the water is plenty fast for me. I had a bass boat with a 150 merc that would run near 60 so I know what going fast on the water is nice. It plains out fine, takes 5 to 6 seconds but I'm good with that- just depends on what you expect out of the boat. I don't go out in the ocean and I have sea tow so I'm good. I can't imagine the repair expense for twins. Notice I did not say maintenance as oil, oil filters not that big a deal.....twin plugs, twin water pumps, twin wires, twin motor failures....now we are talking some cash that frankly would put me out of boating with a major repair. I looked for the biggest boat with a single motor that I could trailer and settled on the 270 and have never regretted it. I have a transom leak I'm still trying to get back to and fix- If I had to pull two motors......
  • Options
    Why would you pull two motors lol
    yes maintaince is x2 but if you do most of it yourself it’s not that bad. I had a single engine 270 dancer and I loved everything about that bout except the engine package. It was a single 350. It would do great with 2-4 people but put 6 and you are sending people into the cabin to plane and all the way on the throttle to stay on plane.
    my 280 had 8 adults and yes I took a few to get her to plane but once there I could
    essily maintain plane without wot. Normal conditions it runs 26mph at 3100-3200 rpm
    wirh 4 people on board.
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    Why would you pull two motors lol
    yes maintaince is x2 but if you do most of it yourself it’s not that bad. I had a single engine 270 dancer and I loved everything about that bout except the engine package. It was a single 350. It would do great with 2-4 people but put 6 and you are sending people into the cabin to plane and all the way on the throttle to stay on plane.
    my 280 had 8 adults and yes I took a few to get her to plane but once there I could
    essily maintain plane without wot. Normal conditions it runs 26mph at 3100-3200 rpm
    wirh 4 people on board.
    I had 8 on my 270 one time this year, the dual 4 blade props and 383 had no problems getting up and going, I think it was more the props than the motor though. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    270  =  20 gal per hour
    342  =  30 gal per hour
    270  =  7250 lbs
    342  =  14250 lbs
    270 very cool boat 
    342 way cooler
    Just my opinion lol
    What speed was that???
  • Options
    4 blade will definitely give you more bite and better plane time.
    if properly pitched little will be lost at wot when going from 3 to 4 blade.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I figured 2 gal per mile at 28 mph, on 270 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    On my 300+ mile trip Vessel view would give me 1.8 mpg at best, but again that was a 383. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Headtrauma76 has not returned, he has plenty of input on the 280fv. Hope we didn't scare him away?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, one thing about this gang, ask for an opinion and you'll get many, most pointing in different directions.  :p
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Well fuel injected motors with duo props do much better then let’s say old school carbs with  single prop.
    it comes down to what you really want to get out of the boat.
    if it’s a couple only boat with few kids then you are good.
    if you constantly take gangs out then either go for the biggest motor option or Twins.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Ouch!  I get around 1 mile per gallon in the 342.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Head trauma there are the numbers see above posts. It’s rare that a 270 & 280 see over 30 mph. I guess it is your choice. All I know is there is a big difference go 28 mph compared to 35 mph. I would give anything to go 35 mph without being WOT. Again read past posts on 270 & 280 you find people say they are under powered 
    My 2006 280EC has the 8.1L Mercruiser and we cruise around 35-38 MPH as the most efficient burn rate (1.9 MPG). It'll go 49 MPH (GPS indicated) with a family of 5 (three little girls), a bunch of stuff, and nearly full fuel/water tanks, without hitting WOT. I honestly haven't tried to go faster as it's a big boat - it doesn't need to go 50+ MPH.LaRea said:
    Twin screws = docking maneuverability = go out when a single-screw boat stays in the slip.
    I'm not the most skilled captain - I've only had this boat one season now - but I used to believe this. With a few dock lines, some fenders, and a little planning I have no reservations docking on our fast tidal creeks. I handle the whole boat - my wife sits with the kids/dog to keep them out of my way. Having pre-tied docklines allows me to slip a spring line off the stern cleat then motor myself against the dock gently.

Handymans342 said:
    What speed was that???
    Fuel burn is a unit of work - it takes roughly the same amount of fuel to move the same mass a fixed distance (where speed is adjusted to minimize drag). So assuming the hulls were designed for best efficiency: at the best-economy cruise speed you should expect proportional fuel burns by weight. Two smaller engines are twice the work to maintain, but run more efficient at a lower RPM so it's not twice the fuel burn. randy56 said:
    I mentioned above, on my 280EC with the 8.1L I max out at 1.9MPG ideally trimmed at around 36MPH, so your numbers make sense. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭

I mentioned above, on my 280EC with the 8.1L I max out at 1.9MPG ideally trimmed at around 36MPH, so your numbers make sense. 
    I think he meant 2 miles per gallon.  ;)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dude_Himself I disagree. If I am going side by side at the same speed at 28mph with a 342 I burn way less with diesels
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    check this 280 out = a reference/guide==looks like a great 1
    cl add===not mine=no clue
    https://loz.craigslist.org/bod/d/2007-rinker-280-express/6453420589.html
    Post edited by trip_n on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy- that's cause they have to speed up to get away from the diesel cloud!