Options

Trying to get input on a FV 280 single motor.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Handy- that's cause they have to speed up to get away from the diesel cloud!
    Not
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I wonder if handy installed one of those stupid crazy rice burner exhausts on his **** engines.
    aka slow and the furious handy rinker civic.
  • Options
    Trust me, if I was blowing smoke no one would be able to keep up. Watch diesel drag racing and get educated
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I am
    very educated in automotive 
    none of those guys boost japmars lmao
    unless they are boosting small excavators
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Why can't we all just get along lol. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    I love you, you love me 
    We're a happy family 
    With a great big hug 
    And a kiss from me to you
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    I am
    very educated in automotive 
    none of those guys boost japmars lmao
    unless they are boosting small excavators
    Fortunate for you that Yanmars are not in cars or trucks. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well I am not a mechanic but work in The automotive Engineering field.
     I did work for a rental place when I was a kid where we rented mostly bobs and Kubotas. We did get few yams towards the end. They were actually excavators made by yam.
    Like most japs they are into everything and build mostly for the light duty market.

Now back to our scheduled program.
     Your boat
     size with diesels plants really makes it unique but on other hand very hard to sell. People don’t know anything about diesels here in the states. I can count diesel boats on my hand walking thru my marina. I would say probably 3 and all of them sea rays lol powered by cats.
    if you go to the ocean side yes it makes sense due to reliability and longevity of the engines. Next time you are next to a charter or see a yacht ask if they run a yam lmao. They will tell you to power off my dude. There is a reason for that and it’s called trusted names in the game. Like Detroit,cat and man.

let me ask you this handy and please don’t google lol
    what do you know about your engines maybe besides how to service oil?
    do you even know how a Diesel engine works and what the pros and cons are?
    if you pulled a water trailers I would say yes you made the right decision your low hp and high torque is balanced out by the drive gear. This same principal works on gas boats and there is no replacement for displacement. Boats hull is designed to go x amount of mph. You can dump 2000hp engines and maybe gain 10mph and end up with out of control boat.
    so if I was looking for a 342 I would go with the biggest cubes I can find for that year and model. I bet you that your diesel will do much better at idle speed when trolling for your 70s eye glasses and maybe come close at cruise with mpg when compared to a gasser. Now if I take a 8.1 mag in the same boat not only will it out run you but I will also be more efficient at cruise and above cruise speed. Don’t argue or say should of had a diesel because like I said you probably know zilch about diesels and how they are made. If you ever in metro Detroit area I can give you a tour of the Detroit diesel and explain the birds and bees.
    for now when someone says I have a 35 ft diesel boat with stern drives it makes no sense to me. It’s like the good line From larry the cable guy. It makes no sense it’s like wiping before you actually poo.
    to finish this off if I see someone  buying a 2wd gasser heavy duty truck to haul fith  wheels or heavy campers I go man why didn’t you get a diesel bud. That makes no sense because you left all your torque behind on the showroom floor.
    what do you use your torque for handy? And don’t tell me to plane because that’s hp in combination with drive gearing.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    This whole diesels vs gassers is getting old....... Here are the facts....... BOTH have their ++++++'s and BOTH have their --------'s now cant we all just get along?????? Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Did I start this?? 
  • Options
    Lol handy you just crack me up with you diesel comments that’s all. 
  • Options
    Did I start this?? 
    Who said you started it????? Not me!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geesh.....just poking the bear a bit!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zaverin1 must have cabin fever and too much coffee this AM. Someday Handy will tell the real reason he bought a diesel.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So...this has gotten pretty off topic, but for my two cents, if I am ever able to get into a 34 to 40 foot boat like @Handymans342  and particularly in salt water I'd love to have diesels both for the fuel efficiency and longevity/low maintenance. I am not a mechanic by trade, but very mechanically inclined and understand the difference. I've been on at least 30 Great Lakes and salt water charters over the years, and there's nothing like the rumble of a big set of diesels firing up under your feet.
    I will admit I hate following one and at slow speeds a back draft sucks, but I could live with it.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Every discussion here ends up talking about diesels.

How many people here have diesels?  Maybe 3 or 4.

If you search the forum for "diesel", how many hits do you get?  395.  
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Lets face it, I have a rare boat. Now I wanted a diesel boat. I did not want a gas hog which is what I had before and I basically could not afford to fill it up at the time. Now here is why I bought this one: 
    1) I do not have any ignition related issues 
    2) I change oil and fuel filters every 2 years and that's it for engine maintenance besides belts
    3) Yanmars are one of the best diesels in the world and everyone knows it. They have an exceptional record
    4) Reliability and longevity. 
    5) Diesel is usually cheaper than gas
    6) The most important, safety. Diesel will not catch fire like gas. Just ask @Dream_Inn

There is no smoke except maybe a little at idle just ask @randy56 and Josh. You would never know I have diesels at all. There is no vibration. I burn approximately 28 gallons an hour @ 34 MPH and a lot less at cruise speed of 26 to 28 especially with my new 4 blade props. I didn't buy this boat to keep up with @raybo3 or @Dream_Inn or @trip_n or any other boat. Don't care. I'm happy. Also on a side note, every marina I have been too, all the neighbor boats could not believe I have diesels and their first comment is: Wow those are great motors and you were lucky to get that boat! I think most are jealous. LOL
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Options
    Lol top marine diesel. I am done 
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    Lol top marine diesel. I am done 
    Didn't say top. Read
  • Options
    Sorry best. Look to each is own. Enjoy and love life handy.
  • Options
    Zav, please explain your hatred for diesels
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    http://www.yanmarmarine.com/Products/Light-Duty-Commercial-SOLAS-Engines/
    So if you look they make all kind of marine engines
    A lot of 270s have Yanmars in Europe
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    i too @shawnmjr=feel a relationship in the making
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Wish mine had a diesel. 
  • Options
    luvinlife said:
    Wish mine had a diesel. 
    Why??
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I give Handy a hard time all the time. I do it all in fun. Truth is his boat with those diesels are pretty slick. If ever he could put Bravo 3's on it it would be like the perfect 34' express style boat............... Just say'n.................. BTW this thread needs to get back on topic!!!!!
  • Options
    28ft  = twin engine lol
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets see some pics!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Headtrauma76 never came back to see what he stirred up.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options