Options

Winter Projects

Comments

• Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Full outdrive service including a new gimbal ring, bellows, and shift cable being done next month. Having a few port lights rebedded as one of them is leaking.

I was going to have the factory swim platform removed as I think it's causing performance issues. It's mounted far, far lower than an aftermarket platform would be and it ploughs even while on plane. Check out this comparison:

I decided to wait till next year to do this as I'm already going to be in it for $3k probably for the outdrive
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Plus 1 for swimplatforms
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    I did all my projects last year. Only thing on the list this year is a new tach,  oil and filters, impeller, wheel bearings re-packed and I'm boating  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is really low..
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endoscoped the flaps on the exhaust glad their there.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't they be closed ? 
  • Options
  • Options
    Here is a customer boat
    he purchased it like this last summer from a couple that got out of boating in a hurry.
    yikes!
    i will do my best to post updated pics 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a nasty sooty thing that is
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! Hope they got it for next to nothing. Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot boat hook.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I am not worried 
    when money stops
    i stop 
    but yes I am not surprised that people still buy boats like that
    this is a 280 rinker identical to mine 
  • Options
    On a opposite side
    i changed all my plugs and they were all showing normal wear and could of went few more seasons lol
    also inatalled my new block drains.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Shouldn't they be closed ? 
    I don't think so, only when they are newly installed. After a while the heat makes them sag. When the engine is running the exhaust keeps them open, they will only close when/if there is a rush of water up the exhaust pipes. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 yes I agree was just glad there still there. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    More like spring projects now! I cleaned and painted my drive with anti fouling paint today. New anodes will be going on also.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    All kinds of stuff this year. 
    Port swivel pin and seal.
    New port gimbal ring. 
    Bellows, gimbal bearing and shift cable on port and stbd.  I think I only got 3 seasons on my last pair and the port ujoint and shift bellow were leaking. 
    Replaced leaking upper drive seal on stbd.
    Bottom painted boat, and painted drives. 
    Replaced rear trim ram shaft on stbd. Somehow the furthest stbd ram came off and bent the threaded portion of the shaft. Strange that the locknut backed off...
    Zincs.
    Cleaned and Waxed boat. 
    New rear 3 panels if camper canvas. 
    Fuel filters. 

In water to dos are:
    Port manifolds and risers. 
    Port Hardin water pump. 

Hope to be floating in 4 days. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, still very wintry here, so appropriate that this thread pops up again I guess.
    So far this winter between me and my mechanic:
    Full drive service including seals, bellows, shift cable, sanded, primed, painted, new magnesium anodes, replaced Mercathode anode and controller/wires. Repaired a torn screen on rear canvas. Cleaned up batteries and charged up.
    Still to do, but need better weather: re-seal rub rail and port lights, wax hull, clean and treat canvas, install new anchor rode and chain, install new stereo/amp/LED speakers. Change out all cabin and cockpit lights to LED bulbs. Maybe tackle cabin floor and install vinyl. That one might be later in the year.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    @aero3113 lookin great.  What is with the bungie cords? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Prob a tarp or cover
    to add
    always run a gap between drives and paint 
    same for tabs 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound what do you mean by reseal rub rail The PO of my boat went around the boat rub rail with silicone caulking it looks terrible Im starting to remove it but its going to take a lot of time and patience. I can't see any reason why he did it 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    edited April 2018
    GMSLITHO said:
    Willhound what do you mean by reseal rub rail The PO of my boat went around the boat rub rail with silicone caulking it looks terrible 
    Yeah, the only way to do it is remove the rail, remove every screw, replace with new screws and apply sealer when you install each screw.  Caulking the outside will never work.  

Oh, and about 25% of the screws will break off, so you have to use vise-grips to remove the broken part.  
  • Options
    Iv never heard of a rub rail leaking I don't know why he went all the way around the boat 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,566 mod
    GMSLITHO said:
    Iv never heard of a rub rail leaking I don't know why he went all the way around the boat 
    It's actually not unusual for rub rails to leak.  Expect yours to leak once you take the sealant off.  The proper way to seal is as LaRea mentioned.  Very tedious task, but many on here have done it and can give tips.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @aero3113 lookin great.  What is with the bungie cords? 
    @06Rinker270 the bungee cords hold my tarp on.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah, rub rail leaks are common, but hard to diagnose.  Water gets in, but the owner never figures out where it's coming from, so the rub rail escapes blame.  

My 342 leaked bad until I re-did the rails. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw no evidence of mine leaking when I had several interior pieces out. Only the cleats were leaking
  • Options
    Thanks for the input ithink for now I’ll leave it the way it is this season ,it’s the middle of April and I just cut the shrink wrap off yesterday 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    What would be the evidence of a rub rail leak? Mysterious bilge water or do you notice it in the walls and floor? I’ve got zero evidence but now I’m curious. Sounds like it’s sealing the screws that’s is key, not the stainless rail itself?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    All of the above.  To be honest, when I fixed mine, I didn't know for sure it was the rail.  It was process of elimination.  

In theory, you can put soap water on the rails, and use a leaf blower to pressurize the cabin while looking for bubbles.  In theory, it should work, but I've never known anyone who tried it.

But if you do the rails, you have to commit.  You can't "sorta" re-seal the rails.  In for a penny, in for a pound.