Options

Running a Little Hot

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
My 2002 342 is running a little hot at high RPM's. At about 3800/3900 temp will go up to about 200/210* and alarm will sound. As soon as I bring the RPM's down the temp comes down also. New manny's and risers, water pump serviced, antifreeze/coolant full. I am thinking maybe t-stat. I have never changed it and I have had the boat 11 years. Thoughts??????????????????? BTW I can run the boat at 3400 and temp stays around 180* normal temp is about 165*
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its 95 out and the water is hotter. Could Also be a fouled heat exchanger
  • Options
    No I did the heat exchanger and it was clean...... I am thinking t-stat
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Tstat or worn impellor
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Impellor is 2 months old........ Drives are clean also.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I just went through this last weekend.  Thermostats when they fail will fail open.  However what i discovered is that there are a bunch of places for muck or even a piece of an impeller to slow down water flow.  I pulled the water pump to verify the impeller was ok then started pulling hoses one by one and back flushing with a garden hose. I never saw anything come out of a hose but i am running at the exact right temps right now.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Isn't it possible for the t-stat to only partially open???  
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thermostats are supposed to fail open, but sometimes don't.  

@raybo3, you need to keep a close eye on this and watch if the spike starts happening at lower RPM's too... while it is most likely something to do with flow/pressure, what you describe is also common for blown head gaskets- such as when the heads start to 'float', and the passage between cylinders is the culprit.  

because you are closed circuit cooling, you can also stop by the parts store of your choice and pick up a test strip for your coolant- if there are combustion gasses present, this confirms blown HG's.  

since you just put on new manifolds and risers, if i were you i'd carefully check the seal between block and manifolds for leaks... if the bolts weren't properly stretched in the pinch (weren't torqued carefully) they will stretch out under high pressure (high rpm's) and NOT snap back sufficiently.  It may be you simple need to turn those bolts righty-tighty a quarter turn more- this will also cause spikes in temperature. 
  • Options
    212 no leaks but I thought about that head gasket also but hoping it was not that. The temp on that engine is actually lower just sitting there running than the other engine. It only heats up at higher RPM's.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Thermostats definitely don’t always fail open, but it doesn’t sound like a thermostat issue to me, since it’ll cool off when you pull the throttle back. If the thermostat were stuck, it’d stay hot. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think a partial blockage somewhere or a hose closing up 
  • Options
    you can pull the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to check it it if is working it will open  ,but once its out I'd replace it with a new one 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with @davidbrooks try flush as much as you can. Can always do a tsat, cheap and easy. Get a laser temp gauge and shot it to verify.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Ray, "running a little hot" are you? All I can say is  well done SILVIA! It's about friggin' time! LOL
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    if she will keep a good temp below a certain operating rpm , there is probably an obstruction somewhere restricting coolant flow.

Perhaps reverse/forward/reverse/forward flush everything and makes sure to bleed to remove air locks.

as for the thermostat , if the coolant warms up and temp then stabilises , the thermostat is working but may not be opening fully. Easy to just remove it and run the boat to test.

good luck
  • Options
    Drives and pick ups are new. One side last year the other side 3 years ago. Pumps are good, new impellers every year. I will have to have my marine tech do a scan for water pressers but I would assume they are ok because pumps are good. I am starting to think maybe head gasket might be starting to go.......Thanks everyone for your reply's.... 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    When you say pumps are good do you mean they were replaced or new shims installed or just impellers? New impellers doesnt mean its giving you the pressure you need. Those brass pumps groove out. I replaced both mine with hardin pumps and my temps went down. 
    If they are good my guess would be an obstruction somewhere. 
  • Options
    if @raybo3 is closed circuit the most likely obstruction is in the heat exchange... and that just isn't that likely.  it's not like the parts and pieces of a possible pump disintegrating are blocking up the blocks passages. 

i'd be looking at getting those test strips for your coolant, to see if there are any combustion gasses present... if there is, your HG's are compromised.  another somewhat reliable way to check is to put a pressure gauge on the exchange- to see how much pressure is building. 

something else to consider- that heat exchange is topped with a pressure/temperature sensitive cap... swap caps with the other engine and see if the 'problem' follows... caps on exchanges just like caps on radiators/degas bottles can cause all kinds of issues that look just like blown HG's.  

• Options
    Ok went to the boat this morning and took the end caps off of the heat exchanger and as I was taking the 1st end cap off I heard a little air pressure escape. I am now thinking I have a blockage on the raw water side of the exchanger. Also noticed that sitting at idle the port engine (the one with the problem) idles a little cooler than the STB engine... I will get to the bottom of this by the weekend.......lol
    craigswardmtb new pump a couple years ago and serviced every spring. My guy said the pumps still look brand new.....
  • Options
    that pressure speaks again to blown head gaskets or a bad cap... 
  • Options
    Drew a blown head gasket on the raw water side? I will swap caps tomorrow before I leave for a short trip for the 4th. Thank you your input......
  • Options
    Removing and flushing the heat exchanger is a quick job
  • Options
    If youre closed loop the hg's dont have a raw water side. The difference between half and full is either manofold gets raw water or only riser does.  

That cap can cause pressure issues that manifests just like blown hg's (or is that hg'$?)... Lets hope for something simple.  

Obstruction, unless collapsing hose, ought to been seen at all speeds compared to other engine. Pressure in system allowing air through cap is suspected issue... Running cooler at idle with good stat is a big concern pointing toward hg'$... Or... Cap... Pray for cap.  Pray for collapsing hose.  Pray for drew... I just tapped a keg of longboard approx 6 hours before crew shows up.. Maybe I'll see crew, maybe theyll jist see me.  
  • Options
    No its not closed coolong. 
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    No I did the heat exchanger and it was clean...... I am thinking t-stat
    Yes. Heat exchanger. Ie closed cooling.
  • Options
    Al, Ray is drunk
  • Options
    I was at a wedding last night and feeling a little tipsy........lol I am fresh water cooled with a heat exchanger. Sorry for the confusion.............. 
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    I was at a wedding last night and feeling a little tipsy........lol I am fresh water cooled with a heat exchanger. Sorry for the confusion.............. 
    A little?? Hahahahahahaah
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My same issue with that was the s shaped hose from the outdrive to the transom connection where the raw water comes in for the water pump. The ‘old’ design was a moulded rubber tube, if it kinks (mine did) it restricts flow. The NEW design tube has the elbow as a hard plastic so as not to kink. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I agree start where the water is coming in to the boat that’s a small hose ,if it was the head gasket wouldn’t  there be some contamination in the oil 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    I agree start where the water is coming in to the boat that’s a small hose ,if it was the head gasket wouldn’t  there be some contamination in the oil 
    they don't cross paths.  the oil will not become contaminated by blowing head gaskets. however the coolant does, which is why i suggested using a test strip to see.