Options

Running a Little Hot

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Corrosion in the thru-transom fitting?  (Not an issue if you have thru-hull cooling.)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have boy on mu close cooled motor - you would think the thru hull would be enough. Mine was not kinked when I pulled the motor but it was sort of collapsed any really cruded up and restricted. I always ran a little warm. Will be curious how I run if and when I back at it.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I am going to drop it off hopefully on Wednesday. I think I have some restriction possibly at one of the coolers. Also there is a check valve in there so cant even back flush it so its take off hoses till find the clam shell or seagrass.......... I will keep it posted.   
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Problem found and it's a PITA........... The hose that goes through the transom has corroded and collapsed. Looks like the engine has to be pulled to replace hose. Should be back in the water on Wednesday. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a boat Ray
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Glad problem is found.  I remember others on here having that same issue before.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my hose and everything else back there  when I did the gimbal ring didn't have to pull the engine but my back and arms had a workout.sore for two days . I guess it easier to pull the engine forward to get to it here is what mine looked like when it came out lots of corrosion on the transom  assembly and was closing up the hose 
  • Options
    Is this hose only on B3s???
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B1s B2s and B3s use the same transom assembly. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    That’s what I thought   Mine really needed a good cleaning to get back down to the metal I used a round wire brush on a wheel then the hose gets pressed into the transom assembly 
  • Options
    More bad news. The whole transom bracket is completely rotted out. A new SeaCore will be here tomorrow morning. After 20K last year this is going to hurt.......... Ouch!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    So is this a Rinker problem?
    maybe engineering flaw?
    i just don’t ever hear housings going bad or transom leaks on any other brand . I mean I do but it’s not constant or a common issue across the board.
    older tinkers are solid 
    seems 2000 up all have similar issues 
  • Options
    Personally I think its a Merc problem. I believe their answer to it is the SeaCore assembly. I have now done both sides so I should be good for a while....... 
  • Options
    So a collapsed hose turns into pull the motor and replace the whole transom assembly did you take a good loo’ at it 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    So a collapsed hose turns into pull the motor and replace the whole transom assembly did you take a good loo’ at it 
    The hose collapsed because the transom bracket corroded around it. Its completely rotted. Same thing happened to the other side last year but that one broke and I was taking on water. 
  • Options
    Must be a B3 gasser issue LMAO
  • Options
    So the motor has to come out and the whole transom assembly replaced 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    So the motor has to come out and the whole transom assembly replaced 
    Yerp.................

• Options
    And up north here we have short boating season hope you can get it replaced quick and back in the water 
  • Options
    Thanks @GMSLITHO should be in the water today or tomorrow...........
  • Options
    Thanks Al...
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the transom assembly deteriorated from salt water? rotten so bad, it had to be replaced? inside and outside? Galvanic Corrosion ? wonder what your outdrives look like?  non working Mercathode? That repair bill is going to sting. Especially for a newlywed. Pictures?  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    sometimes you have to make a executive decision,he probably wanted to get it fixed for his wife to enjoy 
  • Options
    Last spring on the stbd side I had a broken assembly and water was dripping in. It was cause because of a small leak at the steering pin (shaft). The water that leaked in froze causing damage to the transom. I also had to replace all manifolds and risers. Total bill was 20K. That was for a new bracket and drive. 10 years ago I had a small leak on the port side. The leak was caused because of a "high" spot (fiberglass) on the transom and it had to be ground down and reglassed. 4 Years ago I had to replace a bad drive on the port side. So as you can see I have put a few bucks into the boat. To be honest this one hurts. My child support stopped on May 18 so I thought I was getting a nice big break but I just got sued for alimony from my ex. I am starting to run out of the green stuff........lol
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    When i had my broken transom assembly last year i ran into this also.  Apparently according to the mechanic it is common for B3's.  The hose is actually supposed to be replaced when you do your bellows but because it is such a pain, most dont.  On the inside of the transom assembly the hose had a plastic insert that requires a special tool to put it in.  This would often break.  Thus allowing it to collapse.  I think the new Transom assemblies have a new version.  When i looked at mine the opening was the size of a bic pen.  I was surprised any water was getting through at all.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    new one I think are the same but 1/2 of the hose is plastic and it gets pressed into the transom assembly 
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    perhaps the future would a plastic or plastic composite drive system. Volvo experimented disastrously with their XDP on paying consumers but am pretty sure that the problems can be overcome as material tech advances.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nibral, nickel,brass,aluminum very good material .  Aluminum with a coat of paint then let's put it in salt water for ten years??
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Haven't had any issues with my B2s and neither has @Dream_Inn but we are on lifts. I did keep it in salt water for 2 years and still no issues
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Well, and I went thru the complete transom assembly replacement on both engines last winter.  So, all of that got replaced.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express