Options

Running a Little Hot

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Well, and I went thru the complete transom assembly replacement on both engines last winter.  So, all of that got replaced.
    I thought you just did the inner bracket?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Here are a couple of pictures.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Now I just found out that the coupler and bell housing are bad and need replacement. The list keeps growing.......lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Get rid of that money pit!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the steering pin seal has been leaking for years. That's is ugly. I don't think you could turn. I will scope mine this weekend.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hay can I have that Eclip on the oil reservoir looks like the only good part.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray, that had to be some serious leaking for dome time to accumulate tat much damage?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks really bad, and the bill is going to be ugly, dang the luck. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the transom ok 
  • Options
    The transom assembly has been replaced with a new Seacore assembly. The transom is fine. As far as the leak goes I never had water in the bilge. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that much damage can be done in a season or maybe less with the presence of.... wait for it.... stray current.  voltage.  a wee bit of electricity and a constant place to render its madness (such as submerged drives).  I'm dang near inclined to invent a tub of some sort that encases an outdrive in its entirety while gracefully floating 90+% of its time at the end of a dock- something that can be pumped dry once installed and auto-initiated in the presence of a leak to re-pump dry...  
  • Options
    212 It's not electrolysis. It salt water corrosion. I think it was leaking for a bit. Dont forget that bracket assembly is 16 years old. The same thing happened last year to the other side so my guess is 15 years is the life span. I am hoping that the seacore's last longer...... 
  • Options
    Ray, your boat is only in the water 3 months. Lol
  • Options
    May to October, 6 months in salt water then sub zero weather. probable the idle time that does the damage......... Just say'n
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Just put it on a lift, that and many other problems/worries solved.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    May to October, 6 months in salt water then sub zero weather. probable the idle time that does the damage......... Just say'n
    Ummm how many months has it been in the water this year??
  • Options
    You sure that mercathode is working??
  • Options
    You sure that mercathode is working??
    Yeah its working. The damage is caused from a leaking steering shaft/pin.......
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    gotcha @raybo3... still, and industrious person would develop some sort of container to do just that on the transom/drive... that person ain't me :) ... i'm too dam busy.. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    The Sea Cores are a whole lot better. 
    And only about $500 more.......
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    I'd love to see real fleet statistics for recreational boats.  By my reckoning, a typical B3 lasts less than 10 years because of damage, corrosion, faulty maintenance or whatever.  That's $1000 per year per drive, NOT including annual maintenance.  And we pay it gladly, because we get great performance and handling.  
  • Options
    My B2s are original and look new
  • Options
    @LaRea my drives lasted 15 years. When I first bought my boat (10 years ago) I put it in the water and used only 1 time due to health issues with my ex wife. Needless to say the drives got "attacked" from galvanic corrosion. So for the last 10 years "we" have been babying them. My biggest problem has been the transom brackets. A little leak by the steering pin/shaft was the culprit.  Hopefully the new SeaCore's solve that problem. @Handymans342 The drives looking new does not really mean all that much. The wear and tear on the inside is all that matters. Big plus being on a lift. My drives and transom bracket looked fine from the outside but once it was opened up that is were the real problems was......... Just say'n
  • Options
    I agree Raybo.  My drives were shiny, waxed and looked like new.  I've replaced both of them over the last few years.  The upper gear went in both of them.

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    I agree Raybo.  My drives were shiny, waxed and looked like new.  I've replaced both of them over the last few years.  The upper gear went in both of them.
    I wonder why??
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    I wonder why??

Well, I only turned one into insurance, & they diagnosed it to be a fault when the gear was built.  A piece had broken out of the gear like cutting a slice of pizza.  The other one had some of the teeth broken off.

• Options
    Hmmm my drives are B2 diesel X. Not sure if the gear would be different .
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    I can say this without fear of contradiction, because we'll never get solid fleet statistics for rec boats.  But if they existed, I bet we'd see that the long-term fleet-average cost of operating a B3 is $1000/year plus maintenance.  Outdrives are consumable items.  

Obviously, there are some boaters (like @raybo3!) who make them last a long time by combining luck and careful maintenance.  
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    My transom assembly looks decent on the inside despite my steering pin seal leaks.  I replaced the stbd side seal and swivel shaft with a new seal and Stainless pin and all was well.  Last season the port side started leaking.  I actually paid a mechanic to do that side before this season along with a gimbal ring.  That seal has since come unseated and its leaking worse than ever.  They are fixing it this week before our trip.  This transom assembly looks pretty good too.  Not sure how your bilge was dry Raybo.  Those seals leak right into the bilge.  Or at least mine did.  Glad to see that Rinker glassed over the cut out in the transom where that steering pin comes through.  Otherwise we would have some seriously wet and likely rotted transoms...