Options

Hurricane Florence

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
I know it's still early, but this one has me worried.  If she makes Cat 4, she's gonna make life interesting for a lot of people.  

A good friend of mine is getting Saturday in the Outer Banks.  Wonder how that's gonna play out.  

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are getting crushed with rain from TS Gordon. Hopefully Flo won't get us here in Western PA. If she does, I will be pulling my boat. Ugh...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Pulled mine yesterday (near Pittsburgh). About 1/2 the marina pulled theirs. Debris everywhere. We had a log about 8" round and about 10-12' long caught in the docks today. Spent about 5 hours today helping at the marina
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local insurance company sent us warnings about heavy rain and wind warnings - advising to check mooring lines, canvas and tarps.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    our Ohio river forecast from the reminisce of the tropical storm that came through, is predicting a 25 ft rise, in the next 7 days.  That takes care of September. 
    You guy's in the East, beware,  Florence is getting stronger.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Well, I know a lot of downtown Annapolis is under water this morning from Gordon.  I was on the boat this past weekend, and when I left I put up my "high wind" canvas and raised the boat a little higher than normal on the lift.  We'll see how it goes this week if I need to do anything further before the weekend.  Definitely looks like a wash out weekend coming up!  At least there's good college football on Saturdays now. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:

Well, I know a lot of downtown Annapolis is under water this morning from Gordon.  I was on the boat this past weekend, and when I left I put up my "high wind" canvas and raised the boat a little higher than normal on the lift.  We'll see how it goes this week if I need to do anything further before the weekend.  Definitely looks like a wash out weekend coming up!  At least there's good college football on Saturdays now. :)

How bout those Terps!!!
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Anyone in the Chesapeake area pulling theirs or just adding lines?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually don't worry about storms as much as talking heads on the boobtube want me to... but this one has my attention. 

it's nearing impossible we're going to miss it here- the only question is what side of that thing we'll see... even if it breaks a hard right (which it's not supposed to according to 'experts') we'll get the west side bands from it... 

according to just about every model, it's going to be a full frontal- making landfall within 100 miles either north or south of us.  if it's a cat2 i'll sit back and watch... a cat3 is about where i start to pack.. a strong 3 or 4 and i'm out of here until it passes- a five?  likely not a lot to come back to and i'll likely winter in the U.P. this year... 
  • Options
    Well I can speak on a Cat3 and its wasnt as bad as everyone thought it would be but every storm is different. 
  • Options
    I'm waiting anxiously for the 11:00 NOAA update.  I think the threat in our area is more from rain and flooding, not wind.  But if Flo starts turning north, I'll probably haul out.  

Our tide this morning is a good three feet above normal, and we're expecting rain all week.  
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Well I can speak on a Cat3 and its wasnt as bad as everyone thought it would be but every storm is different. 
    i've been through many storms... never had one sp00k me before.  Fran was bad, Floyd was really bad (about a week after it hit), and the strongest blow i've ever seen was Ophelia in '05- though it was just a tropical storm when it hit it blew harder than any storm (up to a low 3) I've ever been in... 

it's never the storm itself- it's the aftermath that bites the big one... clean up is never fun.  then again, we've never had (in my experience) a high cat 3 or cat 4 hit us.  sustained winds 110mph+ and gusts into the 150mph range is dangerous and a lot of homes will be destroyed.  i live about a mile or so from the ocean and less than a 1/4 mile from the ICW- storm surge and flooding is never a problem due to tides pulling everything out every six hours, but..... this one may be different- again, if it's a strong 3 or 4 we're gonna pay a toll. 
  • Options
    There will be a 10 foot surge up to the ICW
  • Options
    I went thru two Cat1 storms that came right up the Chesapeake Bay and those caused a lot of damage. 
  • Options
    Well, no radical changes in the 11:00 release.  She's officially Cat 3, and still headed for Wilmington.  
  • Options
    The Washington Post is saying "strong Category 4 hurricane — nearly a Category 5 — just prior to landfall ..."  So, even if it weakens a little before making landfall, it's gonna make a mess.  

@212rowboat - I guess you'll have to GTFO.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    The Washington Post is saying "strong Category 4 hurricane — nearly a Category 5 — just prior to landfall ..."  So, even if it weakens a little before making landfall, it's gonna make a mess.  

@212rowboat - I guess you'll have to GTFO.  
    WAPO = Fake News
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was just upgraded to a Cat-4. Stay safe!
    2008 330EC
  • Options

Cat 4 is what she's looking to be.  I think for us in the mid Chesapeake (& you too LaRea), we will have high surge and lots of rain.  My current plan is to maybe raise my boat lift a bit more later this week.  Right now she is up high enough for about 6 foot surge above normal high tide.  But, I can and might raise her a few more feet.  I know my marina had about 5-6 feet high surge during Isabel (and those on the lifts were ok).

212row, I think I'd be pulling out and taking as much as I could with me.  In another day or two I can only imagine how it will be down there with everyone trying to get out.  Good luck buddy!

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    our Ohio river forecast from the reminisce of the tropical storm that came through, is predicting a 25 ft rise, in the next 7 days.  That takes care of September. 
    25' rise???? Wow, that must really break the banks of the river and cause massive flooding.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I mentioned my friend with the wedding in Corolla this weekend ...  Cancelled, and they are beating a path inland along with everybody else.  This looks like the real deal.  I'm exploring my options for hauling or moving the boat.  
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn do you plan to strap the lift? I did an X pattern with heavy duty ratchet straps to keep it from swaying in the cradle.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    do you strap the boat to the lift also, or does it just sit on top .My friend in Florida last year straped the boat to the trailer and then anchored the trailer to the ground with the long screws they use for tents and dog chains  
  • Options
    Well a 342 is 16000 lbs. Hard to blow that off a lift or a dry storage cradle. I did tie mine to the dock in case the water level rose to the point of floating. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    OH yea my buddies boat in Fla was 22 ft 
  • Options
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn do you plan to strap the lift? I did an X pattern with heavy duty ratchet straps to keep it from swaying in the cradle.  

I don't plan on strapping at this point.  There are many boats around that will definitely help block the wind.  I could tie the cradles to the pilings, but I'll say I know it's been thru 60+ mph winds without issues on the lift.  Surge will be our biggest issue.

@LaRea, if I were you, I'd pull due to the storm surge itself.  Don't wait too much longer though, or you may be outta luck. 

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    randy56 said:
    25' rise???? Wow, that must really break the banks of the river and cause massive flooding.
    In Cincinnati, OH at our marina, the Ohio River went up from 27' on Saturday morning to 37 or 38' by Sunday afternoon and flowing over 3.5 mph. It pulls lots of logs/trees/debris off the banks and causes havoc to all the docks along the river. 40' is the "action level" in the Cincy pool, it's supposed to crest about 48' later this week...then with the water from Florence hitting the east coast/WV/PA area, it'll be another crazy week next week with the river level.
  • Options
    this storm is the only one that has ever really worried me.  

we train first responders for a living- military bases.. we do hazmat/wmd, terrorist and natural disasters working with fire, ems, popo and emergency managers.  there are a ton of modeling applications out there we use, and a ton of distinct hurricane models we've both made up out of thin air, and some where we used actual past storms for exercising response.  

shoving this one through the application rendered some scary results.  first off, and most frightening, there is nothing out there to slow it down.  when it hits the shelf it will either be a strong 4 or possibly a borderline 5.  the shelf will knock it down some, to the low four high three range at best.  the 70 miles on either side of dead center that thing will render sustained winds in the 140 range and gusts well upward 180.  that path will be absolute destruction.  it's supposed to land somewhere just north of Wilmington and south of Jacksonville.  Wilmington is 70ish miles south from me, and Jacksonville is 20ish south.   it can wobble this way or that, and we'll still be flirting with that 70 mile radius around the dead center eye. 

the second most startling thing is the chances of being hit.  we've never seen one have a zero probability of miss.  that is just crazy.  the basis of that is that it may stall- or it may break a hard right, but we're still getting something.  the high pressure barrier north and south has made a hallway for this thing, and made it really unlikely it will veer.   that same hallway has it tracking directly toward north eastern tennessee and southwestern va, where it will still likely be a tropical storm on Saturday. the other possibility is it stalls straddling the coast, where it sits for as much as two days.  that'll bite a big one. 

and here is another strange thing about this storm.. when it spun back up this morning, it was a cat3 for all of an hour.  one plane passed through and measured cat3 sustained winds, and the very next measured cat4.  how quickly it spun up is just plain weird.  that basically says the lack of barrier (obstacles) and the warm water (record temps earlier this year and still around 85*) is a battery charger for that thing, disallowing it to spin off some of that energy.  that basically means it will only have about 12 miles just prior to the coast to slow down, and it won't a lot.  meaning it will be a solid three at a minimum when it strikes, but more likely a four. 

there ain't nuthin good about this thing.