Options

Hurricane Florence

Comments

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I am just NW of Pittsburgh on the Ohio and we are currently at 32.6' and supposed to peak at 35.5 sometime overnight. We just came from the marina where we were moving some things to a little higher ground. We pulled our boat Saturday afternoon but have been down the marina yesterday and today to help with what we can. We still have about 8' before the top of the pylings but there is a marina up river from us that is still full of boats that are all in finger slips (so broadside to the current) and the pylings are only sticking out about 4 more feet. About 1/2 of the boats at our marina have been pulled but the ones still in are either on A dock attached to shore or C dock that has a little shielding from the bridge pillars. B dock has fingers slips and it is empty
  • Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Near Marietta OH the Ohio is normally at 13’. It is currently above 33’ and projected at 38.5’ Wednesday. Boat and docks pulled, everything moved out of bottom buildings. Summer is over....

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    This was the ramp to my dock last night, over two hours before high tide.  Best-case scenario, we get only 4" of rain, but it's got noplace to go.  

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rowboat212  RUN! don't walk
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you guys on the top end of the path consider running the boat a couple of hours north rather than pulling? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    I just made the call to pull my boat.  My marina on the Severn River has water a foot over the dock and it hasn't receded.  They said that the last time this happened water was 6-8ft above record high.  Water in Annapolis has the entire dock up to and past market square under water since yesterday and we haven't even hit the storm surge.  We are so water logged that i am thinking that trees are going to have a tough time staying in the ground if we do get the winds they are predicting for DC this weekend.  A weather report i listened to on the way in this am said that Frances actually hit a Cat 5 category for a while last night and was anticipated to hit land as a strong Cat 4.  DC is anticipated to have 60+ MPH winds for a good part of the weekend.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there a lot of trees around your marina?
  • Options
    RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Im a hour north of Annapolis by boat, just got on the list to pull the boat on Saturday, it's easier to cancel than to get on the list ! Be prepared!
  • Options
    RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Baltimore Yacht club 9/11/18
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    I need to go down to the marina and empty out my dock box.  Wondering if anything has already gotten wet.  It usually takes a bit before it actually goes over our dock, which is about a foot higher than the rest of the marina's dock.  I'll raise my boat up a bit more as well while I'm there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @Handymans342 the marina is surrounded by large old trees.  Not where they can hit the boats in the water but one of my main concerns when up on blocks.  So you get to pick wind and tree damage or sinking?  I found a lot of tips on what to do or not do but thought this one was pretty comprehensive. https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/june/hurricaneprep.asp 

The other one i read had a lot of really good tips.  https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-secure-your-boat-for-hurricane#page-2

• Options
    Yup, I'm hauling out.  That east wind is gonna shove the Atlantic Ocean all the way up the Potomac River, which means the 6" of rain will be trapped here.  I'm betting river levels will be 4-6 feet above normal.  I don't want any part of that.

If I can do it this afternoon, at least it won't be as rainy as tomorrow.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck guys - better safe than sorry! MT
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

Well, I know in my current marina, when Isabel hit, the boats on land that were on blocks floated away.  Even the boats on the first level racks (where fork lifts move them to), floated.  All the boats on the lifts were ok.  If it were coming right up the bay, I'd pull out at another marina around the corner (where I get all my work done).  They store the boats high up on land (like 30-40' higher in elevation). 

Good thinking LaRea!  Hopefully they have some higher elevation storage, cause that Potomac will just get higher and higher the further up you go!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a 342 is 16000 lbs. Hard to blow that off a lift or a dry storage cradle. I did tie mine to the dock in case the water level rose to the point of floating. 

I don't think so man. I've seen videos of transport trucks loaded with goods (and they are capable of transporting up to 20 tonnes ... blow around like rag dolls. If the wind is strong enough, it will move that boat, no doubt in my mind.

This video is from a 90 mph gust ... not even hurricane force.

https://youtu.be/oyny3p4ZhSc

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited September 2018
    My boat made it thru 120. And that truck has a huge profile
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My boat made it thru 120. And that truck has a huge profile
    Well it has diesels.  Just say'n....

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Here is a post by a Club Sea Ray member that is very knowledgeable. I haven't read the whole thing as I am not near hurricane weather but several on the site said it was very good information.

Admins, sorry if I violated any rules by posting a link to another forum but thought it was important enough to share.
  • Options
    No one recommend I leave my boat on my lift but it was no issue as far as the wind was concerned
  • Options
    So your saying when i get on blocks to drop anchor? :)  Several of the sites recommend putting in large spiral stakes to help keep the boat from rocking on the stands.  I wasn't even thinking about floating away.  Our high gound is about 6ft above the water so i am glad my insurance premium is paid up.
  • Options
    David, its good to over prepare but I dont think the winds up there will be that bad. Flooding is your concern .
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Hey everyone just keep in mind to be safe. Boats can be replaced. RBOC members and their family can not................ BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Everyone, listen to Old broke a$$ Man Raybo!!!!! 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Hey everyone just keep in mind to be safe. Boats can be replaced. RBOC members and their family can not................ BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AMEN TO THAT 
  • Options
    Most of the boating season I wish i was on a bigger body of water,instead of my small puddle  but there a a few times I am very happy I don't boat on tidal waters When hurricane Sandy hit that was the last time , My dad had passed away and  his old 42 foot wood pacemaker was on land after Sandy hit the bulldozer came in and took away what was left of the old boat  
  • Options
    Ready for some scary math? 

The Potomac River has a watershed area of nearly 15,000 square miles.  Essentially the entire watershed will get 4-10 inches of rain over the next week.  Let that sink in for a moment.  Even if it's only 4" everywhere, that's 140 billion cubic feet of water that has to eventually move past DC. 

When the Potomac is at flood levels, the discharge rate at Great Falls can be 150,000 cubic feet per second (15 times higher than average).  At that rate, it would take 11 days to move all that water.  

And it could be more than 4" of rain ...

I just double-checked that my flood insurance is paid up.  
  • Options
    @LaRea .Hang in there. You wont be dining out in Old town or Georgetown anytime soon. Think of all the money you will save on your grossly overpaid salary. LOL
  • Options
    I don't really think this a time to make jokes ,I think by Monday a lot of peoples lives will change for the worse 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    I don't really think this a time to make jokes ,I think by Monday a lot of peoples lives will change for the worse 
    Who is joking??
  • Options
    Haha, gotta love gallows humor from Handy!  I parted with some of that salary hauling out today. 

But seriously, we could be in for some sh%t.  The 100-year flood plane includes part of my property, although the home is not in it.  We might get to 100-year levels if the worst predictions come true.  

Any boaters here from the James River, or Richmond?  That town is in for a ride.  East winds 30+ for four days?  Ouch.