Options

so, my fruits of the days work...

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I don't see how a hose on the other side would do anything at all...
  • Options
    Wow- that's pretty scary but note that main concern is with a combustion appliance - I swear what I took out of there was a similar metal frame covered in plastic.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hurry up and finish the boat so you can have time to work on your Fords
  • Options
    I have time to work on my boat because I have Fords.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been calling it "dryer vent" but in reality, in Canada at least, it is no longer legal to use vinyl duct for heat venting. Only used for things like bathroom vents etc. because it is flammable. The stuff you want is this:
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shields-rubber--vinylvent-ventilator-hoses--P011_333_001_007?recordNum=1
    Even says it's "self extinguishing" in case of fire. Not sure how that works, maybe it's just that it won't support flame spread.

"Also, I don't see how a hose on the other side would do anything at all..."

Actually Ras it does. With the blower running and a proper length vent hose hooked to it, there is a negative pressure created in the bottom of the bilge which causes fresh air to be drawn in from the feeder hose on the other side right into the area where it is needed most. I'm no physics major but i think also the restriction caused by the hose creates an added effect.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Interesting..did not pull the link yet but guess it the same as I found and will pick up shortly...15 ft of hose so I will install on both sides, thanks for the info!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Dryer hose works just fine

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is what I used for my blower ducts. Right stuff and affordable:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?product=138431&group=112933
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Home Depot or Lowe’s sell that 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with vinylvent hose. That is what I used to replace mine this past season. I would stay away from dryer vent. But that’s just my opinion. If a mechanic put dryer vent hose in my boat, I would be finding a new mechanic. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Purchased at WM so handled!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited December 2018

Yeah, don't use the dryer vent house.  (take it from someone that has had a fire in the engine room, you don't wan the dryer vent house in there to cause it, insurance won't pay - no, that's not what happened with mine).  Sounds like you are about ready to go Ras! :)

(edit, sorry didn't see the last page of comments, glad you got the right stuff)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I did...and it says it is fire resistant - that link posted above pretty scary...althogh the metal might have worked but not have looked very good. Yes, getting closer, thought we would have splashed yesterday but a set back with the shift cable and then the exhaust bellows...anyway, will do some cleaning tomorrow and hopefully by the weekend. Wife and I both have been pretty sick too so moving kind of slow....anyway....want make sure I'm good before we splash.
  • Options
    So, did not want to jinx myself by adding a comment that today was splash day but apparently did no good.

As I have gotten the boat back together, I was having to jump start the boat. Saw that the alternator was not charging and found a plug was unplugged on the alternator, not sure why but now was charging. In my front yard on the charger it seems that the charger is working properly, reading 13 V at the battery cables with a meter. After charging all week, batteries only showing like 10 volts. These batteries are close to four years old. They also seem to discharge in storage over a couple of weeks and always would bring it home for a charge before an outing.

I pulled the batteries and put one on a charger and will see what it does out of the boat. If I still shows it holding less than 12 volts I assume the answer is obvious. If it looks like it is holding I will take it down and have it load tested.

When we first got the boat we had a slow start condition and eventually pulled the starter and had it rebuilt. Has worked fine since and starts fine with the jump box. It had gotten wet and caused that failure....with the leak I had, or probably still had from po, concerned it got wet again. Not so much from filling up but sloshing around. If something were again going on with the starter, could that cause a severe power drain just sitting there?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    If the switch is off or disconnected nothing to “drain” it. But they will lose charge even unhooked and you’ve had things apart for how long? While 4 years is not really an old battery for down there they like to be used. Mine are 6 years old up here, house went open 2 weeks before season end so it’s time for it, others seem fine to crank but based on load test soon I am likely to change also. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Its a boat Ras get uses to it
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind there are a few "24 hour" circuits that are on no matter what position the battery switch is in. On my 280EC, they are Stereo Memory, Shower Sump, High Water Alarm, Forward Bilge Pump, Mercathode, Rear Bilge Pump.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Adding to Greg's list is the CO detector.  They all add up and will definitely drain it after a while.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Ras
    replace the batteries 
  • Options
  • Options
    Replace the motor, outdrive, trailer, tires, brakes, etc, etc, etc. LOL
  • Options
    Yep, just trying to make sure it is not something on the boat- bought batteries before only to find it was something else.
  • Options
    Handy, don't you have RV people to poke at?
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Handy, don't you have RV people to poke at?
    Nope they don't have any problems
  • Options
    My buddy makes 6 figures as a service writer....no problems with RV, nope, they are bullet proof.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    My buddy makes 6 figures as a service writer....no problems with RV, nope, they are bullet proof.
    Six figures? That shows you how much they rip you off with labor rates
  • Options
    Yep...as bad as a boat! And they are not bringing them in because everything is working either? They all have their problems, if not now then later...
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an old saying " If it has "teats" or tires, sooner or later you're gonna have problems with it". To be fair, and less sexist I would propose that we change it to "If it has tires or floats, sooner or later......"  :D:D
    Just for laughs, as always!

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Sound wisdom for sure ..
  • Options
    This is how much I have spent on my RV for 6 months. 00000000000 !!!!!