Options

Mercury Vessel View Mobile on sale

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you had it all fitted in already. Looks to me also that it will need a whole bunch of extra bits and thinking I may option to just take it to NMEA2000 instead and show on plotter.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    With just 1 engine, it’s a pretty simple connection at the engine, and signal goes to helm by Bluetooth.  About only cost is the vessel view module.  With 2 engines, you need the J-  boxes and harnesses to connect the engines together and then to the module.  Signal still goes to helm by Bluetooth, but those harnesses and stuff are about $300.
  • Options
    ALLFORARIALLFORARI Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I just installed on my 05 342. Amazing for the money. I spoke to Mercury directly and they stated any mercury with smartcraft will work. 
  • Options
    Allforari, did you set it up as in the attached drawing?
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    well mine is not plug and play 
    or
    pilot error

help plz = thank you
    coming off the engine
    1st pic the yellow terminator
    2nd pic with yellow terminator cover removed

• Options
    What engine and age? Mine is a purple color at the rear of he engine (5.0 MPI 2003)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    06 496 mag smartcraft
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I think you removed only the "cap" off of the terminator.  You have to "unclick" it and remove the whole thing.  Then it will just plug in.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @The Main Exchange - it won't work on non smartcraft engines
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @dream_inn = is the winner
    funny looked and looked = just didnt get it
    its on now....cant connect to bluetooth
    the app opens =gps and speed nothing else
  • Options
    Glad we got thru the initial connection. :)

When you say "can't connect to bt", is your phone just not seeing it?  Between all of us here, we'll get you thru it step by step.  Maybe we can get a little "procedure" written up. :)

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you put the terminator on the open port on the VVM unit?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    i believe i have ... then the yellow cap on the other plug attached to the vvm = yes
    samsung note 8 = vvm appears in bt. = when i touch pair device nothing happens
    going into vvm  app = i touch connect ...it goes to scan for devices = nothing spins/searches = stops

again ... thanks guys
  • Options
    Hmmm, phone sees VV, but VV does not see phone.  If I remember correctly, it asks for a 4 digit code (like most BT devices)?  Once it has power (which it does now), it should connect no matter how you have other cables/terminators set up.  We can deal with those once your BT connects.  I do remember there were times it took several attempts before it connected for me.  Then I moved it up to the helm and it worked a little better there, but I did have problems sometimes with the initial connection to BT.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    so when it prompts to connect bt to your phone = do not pair
    then open vwm app  press connect = it connects and works 

• Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    @trip_n check out this thread. It was when VV just came out and we all were having troubles on install and hooking up. Just put it in search

Super Cool New Mercury App

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    For those of you that ordered from this promotion -- how long did it take to get it, and did they send you tracking info?

I ordered on 3/25 and got a confirmation email, but nothing since. We have porch pirates in the neighborhood, so I'd like to know if I should be on the lookout for the delivery.
  • Options
    2/3 delivered 2/11 - uspo ground = cant remember if i had tracking
  • Options
    @TonyG13 I ordered mine last Friday (had a lot of to and fro with Wally to get clear what I needed and will post later as it is different to what’s been here) and also got he ack email. Hitting the site today they have up “**Please allow 5-7 days for processing on VesselView Mobile orders**

I guess they have a rush.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    @icoultha - Thanks. Did not see that when I ordered. Guess I'll be patient and hope for delivery sooner than later.
  • Options
    Must have been a big rush to get the deal before it expired. I ordered two weeks ago and sent an inquiry and got this reply: "Due to the volume of orders, we are experiencing a few delays.  I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  Your order is expected to ship early next week." So it'll be almost a month from order to delivery...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Must have been a big rush to get the deal before it expired. I ordered two weeks ago and sent an inquiry and got this reply: "Due to the volume of orders, we are experiencing a few delays.  I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  Your order is expected to ship early next week." So it'll be almost a month from order to delivery...
    It's worth the wait.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Mine arriving arrived yesterday @TonyG13. Have to get 2 harnesses and the 4 port jbox now and I can set it all up. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    @icoultha - I received a UPS delivery notice. Mine should be here today. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    icoutha, is this the set up you will be using for 2 engines?

Paul
  • Options
    No. I had some very good discussion with Wally - great guy, very helpful - and sent him this and apparently the word doc drawing is correct for older (prior to 14 pin) helm harnessing or helm harnessing that does not have the 10 pin SmartCraft connector drop.

Here are some excerpts of relevant points discussed and agreed upon:

Answering your three questions, here's the most economical way to rig it:  IF you do not have this power disconnect then we will want to rig it the more traditional way and will take a few more components.

Get two blue data cables (879981Txx, see below for length options) with termination resistors built into the harness (yellow band) from each engine into a Junction Box (J-box) – ideally this J-box is at the helm (get the 4-way without the weather caps 878492T14, buy those separately if you need any , engine 10 pin connector “may” have weather caps and not termination resistors on the very early SC engines).  Yellow bands on the blue data cables go at the engine connection.  If those capped connectors are yellow termination resistors on engine, do not use them on the J-box.  If there are weather caps (purple backing) then you can use them on the J-box to cover any open connections.  Your VVM module will plug directly into this J-box.  The port engine will need to have its CityID changed to PORT (CityID 12).  All engines ship from the factory as STBD (City ID 11) as we do not know what application they will be used in.  This CityID process needs to be done with a service tool (Rinda, CDS, etc), typically at a Mercury dealer.  Should take less than 5 minutes if they know what to do.

Background info and extra notes:

a) I gave him my 2002 5.0MPI serial number and confirmed SmartCraft (even though the air cleaner cover had the logo

b) Attached photos below IMG4459 and 4460 is the SC connector, cap on, cap off.

c) IMG4461 is in the same part of the harness back from the SC connector. This is a power disconnect and needs to be pulled on one engine if you have duals. If you have a habit of starting one before the other, pull the "other"

For me I am putting this all in the engine room so will need:

• 2 of the 889981T10 cables, this model has terminator resistors inbuilt.
    • 1 878492T14 4 port jbox
    • 1 M0115080 VVMM

e) Plug the 2 new cables into 2 ports, VVMM into 3rd and cap the 4th - purple dust cap only I reuse from one SC connector. Pulling the power disconnect from starboard engine.

f) He also mentioned that later if I wanted to create and plug into a NMEA2000 bus to my plotter, I can use the 4th port for that to connect to SC/NMEA gateway. Good to know.

Single engine guys - pull cap from same SC connector but you will need to put a terminator (yellow) onto the VVMM connector.

Extra info - I found this connector (IMG4462) near the SC one and asked about it and these are tank level inputs. The pink is tank 1 input and the blue is tank 2 input on that 3 pin connector.  It is looking for the industry standard resistive input of 33 Ohms full and 240 Ohms empty. 1st tank is always fuel and second tank can be fuel, water, waste, etc for our SC gauges.  In our VV displays (and compatible Simrad/Lowrance) the first tank can be set to anything (custom labeling – live well, beer cooler, etc). So you can select what the second tank input is classified as in the SmartCraft (SC) gauge or display.  Coming across N2K, not certain what options are available there but would expect similar (each display manufacturer can do what they want there).

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Great post @icoultha !  Very detailed and with pictures!

• Options
    Thanks @Dream_Inn, I thought it may help others given I got a lot out of my emails chats with Wally. If only I could get the last pic to embed versus attach....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Icoutha, this is great!  My boat is 100 miles north and still wrapped, so I won't find these connections for awhile, but this tells me what parts I need to order.  Yours is a much more efficient setup than my word document shows.  Eliminates the P Link Cable, Dual Engine Instrument Adapter, and 1 J Box.  Love that.  

The step I hadn't heard before was the "Pulling the power disconnect from starboard engine".  Is this something done just during installation and then hooked back up, or is permanently left dis-connected?

I too will be installing mine in the engine room.  Really appreciate it if you post some pics showing your setup after installation.  

Thanks again.

Paul
  • Options
    The pulling the stbd power is a permanent disconnect.