Options

Yacht Clubs

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
edited February 2019 in General Boating Discussions
Just wondering. Does your yacht club do an annual slip pick? Do you keep your slip from year to year? When do you pick your slips? Do you pick by seniority? How much is your dockage? Dues? All comments welcome. It will be interesting to see the results..........
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Where we are you keep your previously assigned slip.
    New member are assigned a slip in the "back bay" subject to size.depth requirements (out the front is preferred)
    April 1 - those open docks or those members that have not paid for dockage are open for bid for a week and all members (inc new) can bid.
    The following week bids are reviewed and awarded based on seniority. A new member can get a new/better slip if others are not on the ball.
    Usually there are a couple of rounds as those electing to move leave their prior one open that can then be bid.

Dockmaster however has overall say so when members elect not to launch and dock he may offer that slip to someone that would like to use it for the year - especially out front. eg I borrowed one last last year from a gent that didn't launch due to medical yet paid up membership and dockage.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet that can turn into some fun!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same slip every year. Original placement based mostly on size of boat and electrical requirements. Only a certain number of slips have 30 amp power. Some have 15 amp and some have none. Far from a yacht club though. Smaller family run marina with a lot of smaller day boats and sail boats.
    Deposit of 25% of slip fee required by Nov 1st to keep your slip and balance in full before April 1st. Launch May 1st.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    I bet that can turn into some fun!
    It can pose some challenges.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same slip every year. It’s pretty full so we have to pay in October to secure our dock for the next season, otherwise it’s back in to the queue and we have a waiting lists for most docks. Dock is $2500 for the year plus membership, pool and accessory boat, and that includes power and water for the year. I’d like to move to the other side of the dock due to the sun and I’m on a waiting list for at least a couple more years. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    edited February 2019
    We're usually full for boats over 25 feet, and extremely limited for boats over 35 feet, so we're careful about assigning slips.  
    Slip assignments are 100% controlled by a Marina Committee (member volunteers led by an elected Board member).  The Committee can do whatever's needed to accommodate as many members as possible.  Seniority plays no role at all.  Nobody is guaranteed to get any particular slip, and the Committee has the right to relocate a boat ... even in mid-season if needed.  
    Having said that, I've been in my current slip for 15 years.  If you had a slip last year, and you pay by Feb 28, you'll get a slip.  It's generally the same slip unless you ask for a different one.  
    New boats:  If you have a signed contract for a new boat, or a larger one that won't fit in your current slip, your can apply to get on a wait list.  After the Committee assigns all slips, they can offer slips to the wait list.  But there's no guarantee you'll get a slip ... it all depends who renews from the previous year.  The only "priority" on the wait list is based on the date you applied, not on seniority.  
    My 40' boat costs around $2800 per year, plus an obligation to volunteer for a committee.  That price includes the clubhouse and pool.  It's much cheaper than any slip in DC or Occoquan.  
    By the way, fewer than half of our members own boats.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our yacht club is separate from the marina where I slip. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here we have first right to our previous slip, must be confirm by deposit by end of Jan.  You could request changes during that period, but in essence, someone must not make the end Jan deadline (to lose their right of refusal), and you have to be high on the wait list to get in ... plus they look at the boat you have vs. slip size. Probably not going to give you a 50 ft slip for a 30 ft boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the marina that I dock at, you get the same slip from year to year provided that you pay in full by April 1. Last season, I wanted to move my slip closer to the main coming down from the shore. The slip that I got, which was 10 slips closer to the main, was because the former slip holder didn't pay until after April 1. I believe that he paid on May 15. It worked out well for me.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thankfully I trailer, storage is 90 bucks..
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Thankfully I trailer, storage is 90 bucks..
    ras with all due respect, if I ever had to trailer a boat I would sell and get out of boating. I know lots of people like it but I would quit boating. I work right near a busy ramp and let me tell you its like armature hour. Plus long lines, no place to park, people on the ramp and not ready, people sinking their boats because they forget the plug. Cant get the boat off the trailer because the forget the stern straps....... so forth and so on. I want know part of that $h!t show...... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats Boston Ray. Totally different down here
  • Options
    @raybo3, thinking the same thing but for different reasons. There’s nothing better than simply driving to the boat club, walking to the boat and she’s there ready. I couldn’t be bothered with towing it around, getting to and fro a place to launch, somewhere to keep at home etc. Would it be nice to have at home to work on - yes. But then I’d not have what I got either.

Each to their own but not for me.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I definitely agree with Ray.  I used to trailer a boat in my younger days in Ohio.  Even then, it was a simple setup.  We had a huge (36'X80') pole barn.  We stored cars in it in the winter, so summer it was basically empty.  I'd leave the old pickup connected to the boat, pull it in one door and out the other.  Was still a pain in the butt!!

I love what I have.  Boat is on a lift (which I own) and just rent my slip.  I never have to worry about corrosion or high tide or it sinking at the slip.  Fridges are on and ice maker full.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat launches are great entertainment. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Marina I keep my boat lets you pick your slip out of the ones available, and its yours till you stop paying.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    "Fridges are on and ice maker full." 

Quote of the day - Dream_Inn
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    We slipped for years. Last 3-4 years we have been doing Rack & Launch.

Indoor storage, outta the sun. Marina will rack up to 32' boats. Clean bottom, clean canvas, gel coat perfect. Same cost as slip. $2500 or so. Really like it...
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the benefit of racking, particularly in salt water. But I'd really miss just popping down to the slip which is 10 minutes away and just farting around with stuff. Sometimes we'll even go over and fire up the BBQ and have dinner, even if we don't leave the slip.  
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Good & bad to both slip & stacking. Farting around with the boat is awesome though. Any weather, not baking in the sun.....actually indoors is really great for tinkering, cleaning, waxing. Big barn doors & a nice breeze.

Hull is perfectly white & don't have to put the canvas up after a day of boating. Too much canvas & snaps on a big BR. Pretty slick.

Only downfall I've really come across is if the carpet gets real wet from tubing or cannonballs - it takes a couple days to dry out in the covered bldg. Might do the seagrass stuff soon.
  • Options
    Yep, I get the convenience and I say I want to trailer so I can go anywhere I want to go- but most often go to the same place anyway. FL I'm sure is a little different than what most of you have for options...I'm 45 mins from the east coast and about an hour and a half to the west coast. The river I run which is right in my town ( St. Johns River) runs from central Fl all the way up to Jacksonville where you can get into the inter coastal and then go north or south so there are just a ton of options...given time anyway. There are some pretty big lakes but those do become the $$it show at the ramps. Most of the ramps I go to are very nice and there are not a lot of people at them....certain days/holidays maybe and yes, the people that think when they back their boat in the water is the time to start undoing straps and stuff but that's life! Maybe one day a bigger boat at the marina...I don't think my marina can rack store our 270 but you have me thinking, in door storage would be nice!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    So, getting back to yacht clubs ... @raybo3 how does your club assign slips?
  • Options
    Sorry, did not mean to steer things off track!
  • Options
    RansnanRansnan Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    My Yacht Club has fees of $20 per foot for the year, you pay your own metered electric and be required to work 1 day a month or be on a committee ,everything is done by seniority on slip day which is the first Friday in September, first you get a temporary slip then slip night you bid on a permanent slip and that is yours as long as you want or till the next years slip night if another slip becomes available. so i have a 45 foot slip which I pay $900 a year and $375 a year for our annual dues.

WWW.easternyachtclub.com
    Post edited by Ransnan on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a deal that is!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat club not yatchet club, $110 annual due's $20 per ft, must rent 10ft more than your boat. because it is 400 ft long, parking on both side's. They have gas diesel, ice, portie potie on the bank. No pump out.  The dock has not been full for the last ten years. Last year short season only 40% of dock's were occupied. run's from late May till October. The 3 seasons I had my 270 I was the only cruiser. Redneck's do consume a major amount of beer there. Electric was $100 per season. with only 3 pedestals. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaRea said:
    So, getting back to yacht clubs ... @raybo3 how does your club assign slips?
    At my club we pick every year in Feb. Our "big" boat slips have to have a minimum 11 foot beam. We pick 100% by seniority.  We pay $600 per year in dues (1/2 in Jan 1/2 in July) $24 per foot with $200 electric $60 for water. Dockage has to be paid at slip pick in Feb. I am now a life member so I do not have to do any work hours.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    raybo---So you are saying each year is up for grabs? kinda? but you keep the same slip every year. how many are there? 

We had a tread at one time where everyone put up pictures of their marina. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 Yes there is a chance you could get bumped however movement is really kind of minimal unless someone gets a new boat. We have 69 slips. I will work on getting a dock map to post. 
  • Options
    Here is a copy of my clubs float plan. My old slip was #38 I had that slip for 8 years with a 48 foot SeaRay in front of me. Slip #22 is the slip I had the last 2 years. We have a very strong current that runs there. Some times the water will run so fast that it comes right over the docks. This will be my 22nd year there.