Options

Yacht Clubs

124»

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Yes - absolutely 100% agree @raybo3, that's a totally valid form of active boating.  And if they only got down to the boat once last year?  Meh, sometimes life happens that way. Doesn't make them inactive boaters.  

I'm talking about "extreme inactivity":  If a boater hasn't set foot on his boat since before Apple invented the iPad, that's not an active boater.  

And losing the slip would not mean losing the membership.  Our club is mostly a neighborhood social center and swimming pool.  More than half of our members don't own boats.  

In any case, I'm not seeing any precedent whatsoever for a yacht club declining to renew a slip based only on that sort of extreme inactivity.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea before you sink the derelict boat you should check to see if there’s a Commodore 64 on board. They’re worth good money these days. Some racist Dr Seuss books, too!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭
    Where the 3 year rule applied at CBC it was mainly to not have the prime dock slips unused. There is the frontage to the river and 2 back bays and the preference is the front and that rule was introduced to not only make it fair for others waiting for an open slip out front but make it look like the club was well populated.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Ahh, okay thanks.  That's a very different scenario from removing a boat that has been in place for a long time.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    @LaRea at my club we have a big controversy on something very close to this. Our club if a member sold their boat and have not bought a new one they have to pay for a minimum of 24 feet. We have had members who paid the minimum and never bought a new boat but picked every year saying they were going to buy one. Basically paying for their sonority. This is something that needs to be changed, hopefully this year. We have 3 different types of membership at my club. Full boating, associate boating and social member. Associate are like renters. They pay $100 dues and $100 per foot and 10 work hours. You must be an associate with dockage history in order to be considered for full membership. Once up for full membership "you" must be sponsored by 2 full members and approved by the body. Once approved there is a one time fee of $1500, dues goes to $600 and dockage is at $25 per foot and work hours goes to 35 per year. Full members have voting privilege's and a say at all meetings. 4 meetings out of 11 per year are required. Social members pay $100 per year and can only use the members lounge when the bar is open. We do not have a pool but we have a very nice private beach. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Wow, that's completely different from here.  

We have one membership, and anybody can join if sponsored by two members and approved by the Board.  Volunteer work is required, but we don't track it by hour.  Any member can only get a slip if they own a boat or have a signed contract to purchase one. I wish we had a requirement to attend meetings!
  • Options
    @LaRea does your club have a constitution and by-laws? How much per foot is your club if you don't mind saying? Anything can be changed if everyone agrees. If we change our constitution we have to post it for 1 month and at the next meeting 2/3rds vote wins. All our membership's are in our constitution. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Also our club is very strict with work hours. If a member falls short at the end of the year they get fined and loss of sonority. 
  • Options
    @raybo3 our bylaws date back to 1956, and the current marina rules (which I helped write) are from 2002.  We can update the marina rules with a majority vote at a membership meeting.  

We pay $44/foot.  With electricity and dues, my 40-foot boat comes in just under $3000.  The price is well below market, given that I can get to DC in 35 minutes and the Chesapeake Bay in 3 hours.  The initiation fee is higher than yours, but not outrageous.  

Members who don't want to volunteer can make an optional cash payment (honor system, not strictly policed).  We normally have around 230 member households, so 400-ish members.  It's the typical 80/20 rule:  80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.

Oh, and we have a fuel dock (gas only).  By permit, we can only sell to members, and only for a few hours each weekend.  We sell at cost plus a small markup to cover long-term maintenance.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @LaRea I paid $1190 for dockage, 2 30amp shore power hook ups and water. $600 for dues. $1790 total for my 342 (37LOA). We sell gas but no pump out. I am a life member (20 years) so I do not have to do any work hours although I am doing quite a bit right now because we are trying to reopen the lounge after a renovation. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Man, that is a screaming good deal!  
  • Options
    Keep in mind we do not have winter storage so its stored off site and is quite expensive 
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Our marina and yacht club are two separate entities. You can keep your current slip as long as you sign the contract and pay before the deadline. If a more desirable slip becomes available, it's a first come, first served thing.
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Prices plus tax @15%. I still trailer my 21'  and the ramp pass is on sale right now for $200. I'm only 15 minutes from home to the ramp and I get to keep my boat out of the salt water and flushed after every use. We are experiencing a population increase due to immigration and other Canadians moving here due to Covid/people now working from home. We have covid under control and the envy of the rest of the country. Housing prices are up 20%. People are moving to the affordable east coast for  a better lifestyle. They are buying boats as well and the marinas are filling up to capacity. I am sure we will see higher prices due to demand. The few transient slips that were available are now seasonal. The newcomers see that they can move here, live minutes from the ocean(or on it), commutes to downtown in 30 minutes from the burbs with virtually no traffic. Our secret is out....