Muriatic acid on hull

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Season is now officially done. Boat pulled and blocked yesterday. As you can see there is a pretty bad scum line. I spent the afternoon with some hot water and a bottle of Starbrite hull cleaner and it took most of the tea stain off and some of the growth line, but not all of it. I'm hesitant to use Muriatic acid, but everyone at the marina tells me it's the only thing that will take that off.

Was going to put some in a spray bottle, apply, let sit a half a minute, give it a scrub and rinse it off. There's no running water where the boat is blocked, I have to bring it in pails and use a garden sprayer.
Am I headed for disaster? Should I just live with the little bit of stain that's left?
Sorry, never thought to take an "after" pic, it does look much better, but still a grey stain from front to back. The tea stain under the swim platform came off beautifully with the Starbrite though.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the slimy grimy powder with hot water works great 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @GMSLITHO but I'll have to see whats available locally. Has to be done Saturday so need something I can get my hands on fast.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

I used a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water for many years with my last boat.  Pour water in first, then acid.  Wear a mask and gloves.  You may want to use a brush just to get the spray rubbed on evenly.  Leave set for a minute or so, then spray off.

I could also use FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover).  It works well too, but takes a bit more time to apply.  The Mary Kate On/Off also works, and I believe has muriatic acid.  To me, if you are going to use it, just buy the muriatic acid.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Works toilet bowl cleaner!  Just wipe on with a rag and rinse after. $0.99/qt. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^that stuff uses acid too- as in citric acid.  

muriatic acid will absolutely work, but it is not kind to trailers or tarmac.  put Vaseline on any through hull metals, too, to protect them before applying acid. wrap your outdrive in a plastic lawn and leaf bag... anything metal or organic won't like it too much, but both citric acid and muriatic do fantastic jobs.  

i'd want to have water present, though, to rinse thoroughly... 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I did mine last night in it's storage on blocks. Latex or similar gloves and then a second pair as well as mask. Poured into a bundled rag, wiped along the stain, some comes off, leave a moment and then wipe down more and comes off easily. Needed a rub in a few places but otherwise all nice and clean without excess use and affecting anything else.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Muriatic still sounds pretty heavy duty. Can't find a supplier for "The Works" in Canada and Mary Kate only available by order through Amazon.
    I can get this stuff: https://www.homehardware.ca/en/900ml-toilet-bowl-cleaner/p/4521244
    Similar to the Works?
    To clarify: I used muriatic for the prop cleaning - as I learnt from the fine chaps here last year - but "On and Off" for the hull. It is labeled as a boat bottom and hull cleaner.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used Lysol Toilet bowl cleaner mixed with peroxide with success. It's a 50/50 mixture used in a pump up sprayer. I have heard it can stain the hull if left on too long, but it never happened to me. Slimy Grimy works great. The original owner was from Pittsburgh and developed it to clean his boat bottom.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    MaryKate has oxalic, hydrochloric, and phosphoric acids all in it as well.  So, if you are concerned about muriatic acid, then you should be concerned about using MaryKate as well.  FSR does work as well, but has oxalic acid in it.  I'll just add, that 90% of the boats in my marina are on lifts.  The majority of them have been using a mix of water and muriatic acid for many years.  I agree that it is tough on metals, so as 212row said, cover certain things up.

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve used zep industrial toilet cleaner with great success and also the Mary Kate on/off is meant to help remove those stains. I’ve heard that the works that BD mentioned above also works very well but I’ve never tried 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muratic is the standard way to go when cleaning green on the hull. That's what the pro's use.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Thanks @MarkB. That's what the marina guys ate telling me. I'm just nwrckus because of the no decent water for rinsing situation. 5 gallon buckets and a garden sprayer. Boat is blocked away from the marina in a field.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Agree but - just don't leave it on long. Scrub and thoroughly wash off. I used Muriatic acid for over 20 years for cement finishing. It will leach the resins out of fiberglass fast and cause it to get brittle if left on too long!
    edited October 2018
    Well, I now have a favourite hull cleaner. 
    These pics in order are the hull fresh out of the water, after a pressure wash, after using Starbrite hull cleaner and then the stuff that actually worked. Only minor burns on my right cheek. :dizzy:

Post edited by Willhound on
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rubber gloves are a must when your using that harsh stuff,  I also wore a face mask.  You cannot lick your fingers or pick your nose, at that time. Reminder: to wax those area's before going back in. as you cleaned it all off. Looks nice. 
    Boat Name : 

Yrep @randy56 gloves were worn. Should have had a mask, just held my breath a bit here and there and stayed upwind as much as possible. 10-4 on the wax, that's why I was wanting to get everything off this year. I wasn't happy with how it turned out last year. Wax will have to wait until spring though. Heading over to put the winter tarp system on....in the #*^&%* snow!
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Did Willhound say the "S" word?
    Yep. I swore. Worked in it most of the day. Currently 38F which is the high for the day. Mistress is all put to bed for the winter though. 

Willhound, almost looks like a sailboat with the cover on. :)  Looks good!  I've got mine all covered up for the winter as well.

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steep roof, guess you need it up there. he did say the S word! Going to be awhile before you can have another relationship with your mistress. Winterized one of mine today. Going in the barn for the winter tomorrow. 
    Boat Name : 

As of a couple of weeks ago. Although hull is cleaned now. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

It has a couple of cell mates to chat to :) but it is in a clean, dry and secure place where I don’t care if there’s 3’ of snow outside. No worries about the weather and shrink wrap. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Dream_Inn said:
    Willhound, almost looks like a sailboat with the cover on. :)  Looks good!  I've got mine all covered up for the winter as well.
    That's a system that I bought about 6 years ago for my other boat and have since adapted it to this one. I was able to buy an extension kit for the frame and a bigger tarp, 27x45. I like to keep the tarp up above the radar arch, so yes, it's way up there. Snow just slides right off. I have about $600 invested, which is what shrink wrap would cost me for a single season so this makes more sense to me.

I could get indoor storage here...for about $2000 for the winter between transport and rent...
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    @Willhound, we use 25% hydrochloric acid to dissolve metals like rare earths (cerium, lanthanum) from ores. Not sure I would want to use that on my boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Well...done now. Rinsed the crap out of it.
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    My marina uses muriatic acid for non painted bottoms if you check off bottom wash. Seeing some of the before and afters is pretty shocking how well it works, boats look pretty much brand new. 
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Never use anything but this stuff...It works GREAT !  my scum line just drips off.  (the $40 price reflects the gallon size ...that will last you 2 seasons

Star Brite Rust Stain Remover - Easily Clean Corrosion Stains Off Fiberglass, Vinyl, Metal & Painted Surfaces
    Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc

$40.01
  • natalee520natalee520 Member Posts: 21
    I know this is an old thread, but I just want to say thank you — this forum is a wealth of information as I learn to boat! The ugly yellow line around the bottom of the boat has been bothering me for a year and this thread helped me figure out what to do. I used the Star Brite (the acid made me nervous!) and it was so easy. Spray on, wait, melts away, rise off. No elbow grease required! Other people at the Marina were shocked as I did it at how easy it was. So thanks everyone (even years later!) for all the insight!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern living through chemistry!