Need help with VVM hookup with twins

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Finally got up to boat for launch.  Checked out engines for VVM hookup for unit bought on sale this past winter.  I understand I need 2 harnesses and 1 J Box.  VVM plugs into J Box, 2 harnesses from J Box go to engines.  I will then need to have the port engine have its CityID changed to PORT (CityID 12)

1st photo I believe is the port engine. From what I have learned here, I believe yellow cap is to be removed and 1 harness from J box plugs into that plug.  From there, the wiring goes to another plug (purple tipped shown just to the right of the yellow terminated plug), then wires go elsewhere.

The 2nd photo is starboard engine, and different looking plug.  Same yellow terminated plug, but it does not lead to another purple tipped plug, like in the port picture.  Again, I would think the other harness from the J box plugs into the starboard yellow terminated plug.  

Then I am supposed to do a "power disconnect" on one of the engines.  l don't know what I am looking for to be able to do the "power disconnect".

Any ideas?

Paul
2008 330

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll post everything later today. You need 2x j boxes. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Not necessarily - I only needed one. See my posts around April 17 that described what I did. 

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/9690/mercury-vessel-view-mobile-on-sale/p2

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Yes, @icoultha, it's from your post I figured I only needed the 1 J Box.  But now, I guess I'm wondering if I'm looking at the correct plugs, why is the plug different between engines, and what does the power disconnect look like?
    I am not sure you are looking at the same but as mine but yours is a later vessel so it is possible that the plugs are different with different wire colors. Because both of these have a yellow terminator I would suggest you have elsewhere some form of vessel view infrastructure - any VV gauges or display at the helm? Mine had caps - no terminator as it wasn’t talking to anything but I am guessing that because these have the terminator caps it’s either hooked up to something now or just ready. If you have something you my have to do more than what I did, and why @Black_Diamond suggested 2 boxes needed.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

As far as I know, there is no other VV hardware on boat.  

Am I correct in that by removing those 2 yellow caps I expose plugs that the 2 harnesses would plug into?
    That is what I’d expect, plug in the harnesses (that have terminators) to these to the 4 port j box and VVMM to the 3rd port and cap (not terminate) the 4th.

The power disconnect on mine was 6 or so inches back down the harness on both per my photo and I disconnected the starboard one.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Was just playing with the VVM at home and finally see what's meant by "taking the cap off".  It's not just the yellow part on the end, but roughly the whole outer half of that plug is the "cap".  Taking that off exposes the purple "receptacle".

Now for the "power disconnect".  Looking at my 1st photo, the yellow tipped plug attaches to a purple tipped plug whose wires then disappear into a harness.  Is that the harness I would follow to find a "power disconnect plug" that needs to be unplugged?
    edited June 2019
    You got it Paul, I just find I think interesting that these are capped with terminators with no VV gear onboard.

Re the disconnect maybe yours is different, look at my photo again and the second shows a red, black and purple into a connector that is inline back from the SC connector, the same wires you can see in the SC connector and why you unplug one so that the VVMM is powered by one engine only. I’d call Merc and with your serial numbers they should be able to tell where a disconnect is, assuming there is one. Unless there is another harness or connector you need to put on to block or accommodate the potential 2 power sources. 
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    The power one should be a 3 wire plug and is red/blk, blk, and ppl.  That is what needs to be disconnected.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

This is great!  look for 3 wire plug, red/black/purple.  

Now, since both engines appear to have "terminator caps", does that mean I need to order a "plain cap" for the 4th slot in the J Box?

And am I correct that the 4 wire plug on the VVMM just remains capped, while the main plug goes into the J Box?

And, after disconnecting the "power disconnect", does one or both ends needs a cap?
    Exactly.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Best to cap to keep dust out although I haven’t yet.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

How’d you go Paul @Spyderweb

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Haven’t been back to boat yet.  Plan to go tomorrow/Tuesday for a couple of days of small projects including buffing and waxing above rubrail, (not such a small project).  But you did give me enough confidence that I ordered the harnesses, j box and caps.  That was tougher than I expected.   Couldn’t find anyplace that had more than 1 harness.  And then if they had a harness, they didn’t have a j box.  So stuff is coming from all over.  Someday.  Weather has been so miserable I feel like I haven’t missed much yet.  
    Checked out the engine today.  Can not find a 3 wire plug red-black-purple on either one.  I’ll try again tomorrow, but likely I’ll have to rely on the tech that switches the port engine to “port” to be able to do this for me too.
    If you can’t find a power disconnect to pull, does that mean VVMM will run until both engines are shut off?  And is that necessarily bad?  If ignition key is in ACC will that turn unit on?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is what Merc sent me:

Go to your port engine and find where the blue data harness is plugged into the drop for data bus. A couple of inches from this plug will be another 3-wire plug. Unplug this connector from each other. This is key on power to data bus.

What you have is the key on power back feeding through this circuit so unplugging one will eliminate this back feed and each engine will now be able to be keyed off from its own key. However, get in the habit of always keying on the starboard engine first or even if you do not start the starboard engine and want to start the port only, you need key on power from starboard engine on to provide data bus ignition power. If you only key on for the port and you have this 3-pin connector unhooked on port engine, the vessel view will not come alive because there is no key on power being sent on the data bus.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

What engine you have again Paul?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

First few numbers of serial?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

1A079623
    Serial # tag missing from other engine

New problem.  Just got call from marina.  They can't reset port engine to "port".  Computer won't work on Merc site.  They recently lost their designation as Merc Dealer.  No longer sell the Larson line and hence don't sell enough Merc motors and drives.  

@Stodge Thanks for info.  I passed it along to mechanic.  Mechanic did search for power disconnect and doesn't see anything either.  Thought perhaps it's buried in wiring loom but didn't want to take that apart on me.  Is it likely buried in loom? 
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:

...get in the habit of always keying on the starboard engine first or even if you do not start the starboard engine and want to start the port only, you need key on power from starboard engine on to provide data bus ignition power. If you only key on for the port and you have this 3-pin connector unhooked on port engine, the vessel view will not come alive because there is no key on power being sent on the data bus.

@Stodge - Is the starboard keying a VesselView thing in general, or just for VV Mobile? Wondering, because being new to our boat wonky things seem to happen when we just have port acc on versus starboard acc. Your keying sequence might answer a lot of our questions. Thanks!
    @TonyG13 Merc send out engines all set as starboard as they don't know what side they are going - just like they all have a power steering pump but only one is actually used. So nowadays I am sure the dealers or builders set the port ID up so that VV is correct but those of us with older units and no prior need to have this set (no VV) need it done.

Start another thread re your "keying" issue?

@Spyderweb - let me see what I can find out for you.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    TonyG13 said:
    Stodge said:

...get in the habit of always keying on the starboard engine first or even if you do not start the starboard engine and want to start the port only, you need key on power from starboard engine on to provide data bus ignition power. If you only key on for the port and you have this 3-pin connector unhooked on port engine, the vessel view will not come alive because there is no key on power being sent on the data bus.

@Stodge - Is the starboard keying a VesselView thing in general, or just for VV Mobile? Wondering, because being new to our boat wonky things seem to happen when we just have port acc on versus starboard acc. Your keying sequence might answer a lot of our questions. Thanks!
    I think that's for VV in general.  Not sure if the VVM module would have the same effect.  Basically you can't turn off just 1 motor if you have VV and don't do that.  Discovered that the hard way after mine was installed.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

I know with VVMM only one engine can have the power connected thus the disconnect. In reality a diode could be put in the power feed so either could power and block the incoming feed but I rarely have a need not to run the port engine. Plus in a mechanical breakdown situation, just having the key on is enough I think, the SmartCraft bus is livened up at that point. No power at all to the engine - different story but I'd be focusing on getting back home.

VesselView as in a display etc at the helm perhaps works the same way - need to disconnect one engine.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

@Spyderweb Sent you a PM Paul 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”