Would you buy a 3D printed boat?

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You must be bored Stodge
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL I saw it on LinkedIn and had to share.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Great technology for prototyping but it needs a lot of refining to make an atractive vessel I'd buy. Some of the more advanced additive manufacturing processes with metals are providing higher quality results as used in aviation areas.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an excellent idea. I absolutely would buy a 3D printed boat, I think quality control will ultimately be better than with current manual method ... and cutting out a lot of labor, I suspect the price points would move DOWN.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a matter of time.  Large-scale AM is a huge investment area these days.  I'm not sure when it will trickle down to rec boats.  It'll start with military and law enforcement.  

Not saying hand-laid boats will go away, but AM is coming to all types of manufacturing.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome, wish they would have spent more time showing us the boat instead on advertising there company.
    Boat Name : 

For only $25M, you too could print your own 25-foot hull!  
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    With the advancement of polymers how long before we have a literal plastic hull.  Build your own 28 to 30 ft trawler.  Use recycled plastic for your materials.  No one cares if a trawler cabin looks  boxy mine craft drawn.  Power her with two recycled isuzu 2.2 reefer engines that are decommissioned for EPA regulations paired to a couple cheap used outdrives.  The older volvo drives could be made counter rotation by flipping the f/r cable. I like inboards but rudder design can be an issue and backing inboards is always a gambel.  

With a polymer hull you could have a water ballast keel making her easily trailerable yet stable in the water.

Dropping the ballast may even make a proper design semi displacement hull fairly fast on smooth waters.  
    I guessed that it was a $25M facility, but I was wrong.  It was $40M.  
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @shawnmjr.....there is already a printer for that - Xerox Color Industrial Pro.....makes great $100 bills.