Gas caddies

Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
Anybody use gas caddies for their boats, mowers, tractors? What are best one to use for boats that hold about 30 to 35 gallons? Pneumatic tires for sure.

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never used one. Beware some marina's frown upon them. safety issue. Better ask your's before you buy. 
    Boat Name : 

• Stever00Stever00 Member Posts: 145
    I wont use at a marina. It will be for home. I mow lawns in summer. Gets old carring 5 gallon cans to the pump . Also use it to put gas in boat and whatever. Guess I need an auxillary fuel tank on my truck. They are expensive.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That static electricity spark during boat fueling might be the end. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use this one.. https://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-Transfer-14-Gallon-Rolling/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=15+gallon+gas+can&qid=1581637591&sr=8-1 

Seems to do a good enough job. A little tiring running to the station 3 times to fill the tank half way. Figure I'll just get another one once the boat gets back in the water. 

Price on land = 2.29, price on water, 4.75+
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even at those prices, I would never use one for a boat in the water.  If you spill even a few gallons, the cost of cleanup and fines would put you in a world of hurt.  When I was running our yacht club, I changed our marina rules to prohibit anything bigger than a 6-gallon can.  
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    For all my small gasoline engines I use VP racing fuel jugs. Only 6 gallons each, but they are great. Everybody around here who off roads has them. Fast fillers. For racing use only, err, technically. Get the white ones.
    Andy
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a good gas caddy and gave it away. It was far too heavy to fuel and move. Much easier to fuel a bunch of 5 or 10 gallon "jerry cans".
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at a getting a caddy, but the weight was the issue. I have 4 five gallon cans and 2 six gallon cans that I use to fuel my boat. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Technically, it's against D.O.T. rules to carry gasoline in unapproved containers. Her is a website that has information regarding that and coincidentally, sells approved containers.
    https://www.justrite.com/news/dot-approved-safety-cans-protect-public-roads/
    D.O.T. approved containers. They work so great.
    Andy
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I have noticed that the old non epa cans spill much less gas during fill ups than many of the new epa cans. 

The new metal cans are pretty good but most of the plastic ones suck because of how much fuel they spill during fill ups.  The ones that push in the nozzle while filling are the worst. 

We did find one manufacturer that has a push button to dump fuel and we sell theirs, the rest we have found are a real p.o.s.  if i sell a fuel can out of the store it has to be e.p.a.  if anyone wants details on the ones we have tried ill gladly share pics. 

My dad has dozens of fuel cans from over the years so I've personally used many of the designs that dont work.  He collects them and doesn't throw any away so long as they can still hold fuel.

Your fuel filler on your boat is probably metal, it is also grounded not only from a metal lead in the fuel hose from tank to filler but also a ground wire to one of the mounting holes.

Before opening fuel cap touch it with your hand and fuel can nozzel to discharge any would be static spark.

@PickleRick what can has the push to dump option?
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited February 2020
    No-spill is the brand.  The nozzle is too small for most boats without use of a funnel but for lawn equipment they are the best one currently out there. Gently burp the button before trying to fuel to release any pressure.  Very easy to use without spilling a drop as your thumb controls the flow. Thumb off and no fuel.  I think metal cans are required for d.o.t. but unless you have a business logo on your vehicle or are a licensed contractor they won't bother bubba getting fuel for his mowers or filling his boats. At least not here in SC.  I also sell metal ones for the pros, they double in price from the plastic.

I get these through i think rotary or maybe Oregon.  

Why white? Realized that I could have gotten 4 VP racing for less than the price of the 17 gallon one.. (doh). 
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Technically, it's against D.O.T. rules to carry gasoline in unapproved containers. Her is a website that has information regarding that and coincidentally, sells approved containers.
    https://www.justrite.com/news/dot-approved-safety-cans-protect-public-roads/
    Now I feel like I’m working. I have wrote up several safety contacts on Safety Cans. 
    Do you work for the D.O.T.?
    When I worked for the cable company, we had to have those DOT cans when we had to fill up generators during power outages. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Why white? Realized that I could have gotten 4 VP racing for less than the price of the 17 gallon one.. (doh). 
    Maybe you can see the fuel level better with white? Or won’t be as hot as a darker color on a sunny day? Only things I can think of.
    2008 330EC
    Got it, I really like the blue ones!!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has 11 or 12 five gallon plastic gasoline cans. Many many years ago I borrowed them, filled all of them at a local pump, and put them in my suv and drove 10 miles on the highway to the yard where my first Rinker, a 310, sat on the hard. Half way to the marina I looked at the admiral and said “i am very sorry, I just realized we are a bomb, this was incredibly stupid”. she agreed and not much else was said. Never ever did that again. 5 gallons for the lawn mower and that’s it. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever done, completely thoughtless, we were very lucky. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Simple, the white ones allow you to easily see the fuel level. Get them before you can't.
    Andy
    I just filled up a VP racing fuel jug in front of a deputy sheriff. He seemed unconcerned. I haven't seen much D.O.T. law enforcement around here. We are a gas can sanctuary city.
    Andy
    The dot patrol around here is after the commercial guys, not the family pulling a boat/camper.  

@PickleRick which metal cans do you like?
    I’m surprised the VP jugs don’t have another handle on the backside where the decal is.
    2008 330EC
    @J3ff , I have the same DuraMax caddy. Someone gave it to me, I haven’t used it yet but plan on using it this spring to try it out.
    2008 330EC
    @LaRea

If you guys have issues finding these locally my distributors can drop ship these directly to any location in the lower 48. I dont do eBay/amazon/online sales but my distributors are set up where i have same drop ship options.

R.B.I. and Rotatycorp.com push me to do online sales,  im busy with just locals.

A friend of mine has 11 or 12 five gallon plastic gasoline cans. Many many years ago I borrowed them, filled all of them at a local pump, and put them in my suv and drove 10 miles on the highway to the yard where my first Rinker, a 310, sat on the hard. Half way to the marina I looked at the admiral and said “i am very sorry, I just realized we are a bomb, this was incredibly stupid”. she agreed and not much else was said. Never ever did that again. 5 gallons for the lawn mower and that’s it. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever done, completely thoughtless, we were very lucky. 
    Why is this any different than the countless people who fill up gas cans and put them in the trunk? Key is to make sure they are sealed and you're good right? 
    You are right, that's a nice fuel can.  My two plastic ones at home are due for replacement, so I'm getting the Justrite.  I'm sick of spilling fuel every time I use my generator.
    So long as the gas cans are sealed and functioning properly there will be no fumes in your trunk/suv/truck bed.

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    J3ff said:

That amount of fuel in a old school can and in a confined space can have a lot of fumes build up and sit just waiting for an ignition source. The same could happen inside of the trunk. Same reason we keep our blower on when we fuel the boat. 
    Umm no. Blower should be off, blower sucks in the outside air so you don't want it on while fueling sucking fumes into engine bay. Once you are done you replace gas caps then put the blower on to vent engine bay and also vent the cabin.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/