Seeing if anyone has insight on this 2006 Rinker 410 with diesels

Ive gotten a very good offer on a 2006 RInker 410 with 5.9 cummin diesels. Problem is its saltwater (in florida), and i boat on Kentucky Lake. Going to cost ALOT to transport, and also im nervous about the saltwater boat.

Does anyone have any insight on a 410 with diesels as far as performance and longevity. Also, anyone happen to have any first hand experience with this boat. I know there were not many diesels in rinker's. I currently have a 2002 342 ill be moving up from.

Thanks!

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandon I believe there is a 410 for sale on a lake in Kentucky. Is that boat not an option for you? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't beat the 5.9 for durability and fuel economy
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    A diesel should certainly last longer than gas and saltwater shouldn't matter too much as long as it was maintained and especially a closed loop cooling system. If your paying a premium for the diesels and the shipping make sure it's worth it to you. They should last longer but if your only putting 50-100 hours a year gas should still last longer than you'd probably keep the boat. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Shipping wont be cheap. I am paying $3500 to ship a 40' Cruisers from Chicago to Cleveland. The yard in Chicago told me that they got in a 50' boat recently from Florida and it was $17k to ship it. WOWZAS! 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Being it's a 410, I'd assume it's inboard as well?  If so, then salt water is less an issue to any outdrives as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• brandonmayberrybrandonmayberry Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Brandon I believe there is a 410 for sale on a lake in Kentucky. Is that boat not an option for you? 

You are correct however its not diesels or a hardtop. The one in kentucky i beleive will still have to ship by road and its looking to be about 234 miles and by its list price vs what i have been offered on the other one it would be 30k more. The one in florida is 973 miles and ive guesstimated between 8-9k for transport based on what ive seen but im not sure if thats accurate or not or would include hardtop removal. It still puts me into diesels with a hardtop for significantly less. Im really keen on the hard top (i know alot of people are not, and i understand why), it just fits our style of boating much more.
    Dream_Inn said:
    Being it's a 410, I'd assume it's inboard as well?  If so, then salt water is less an issue to any outdrives as well.

Yes it is inboard.
    Shipping wont be cheap. I am paying $3500 to ship a 40' Cruisers from Chicago to Cleveland. The yard in Chicago told me that they got in a 50' boat recently from Florida and it was $17k to ship it. WOWZAS! 

The previous quotes ive seen on Uship show 8-9 but i dont know about the hardtop needing to come off and costs.

Aqua_Aura said:
    A diesel should certainly last longer than gas and saltwater shouldn't matter too much as long as it was maintained and especially a closed loop cooling system. If your paying a premium for the diesels and the shipping make sure it's worth it to you. They should last longer but if your only putting 50-100 hours a year gas should still last longer than you'd probably keep the boat. 

I probably wont be much more than 50-100 hours a year, but the diesels and the hardtop are both on the top of my list as i would like to put more hours than that on it. Its really more than just the diesels.
    The big deal with the hard top is the height. On the boat I am buying, the hard top can stay on but the radar, tv and gps must come off to keep it under 13'6". The props and rudders will stay on since I am under 13'6". I would guess that you may need to drop the props and rudders for the trip, but the hard top can stay on....
    @Dream_Inn did you need to remove the hard top to move your boat to the east coast?

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Id rather have a well kept salt water boat than a neglected fresh water boat 

Diesels + hard top = best.

I'd get some shipping quotes then put in a deposit with purchase pending a survey if i was seriously interested. 

Just beware, possibility of closing domestic hwy travel would affect delivery time.  
    I’m assuming this is the Red Fox or something like that in Naples? Been for sale for 6 or 8 months (or more). Nice looking boat, needs some floor work down belo but that’s not a big deal. 

I’m assuming this is the Red Fox or something like that in Naples? Been for sale for 6 or 8 months (or more). Nice looking boat, needs some floor work down belo but that’s not a big deal. 
    That is the boat. I’ve got a few calls for shipping quotes and then will survey. I believe I can get it for a good price and it fits the exact bill me and the wife are looking for in terms of amenities. 
    edited March 2020
    I looked it up it seems really nice. Engine are low hours. I am a big fan of the hardtops. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I looked it up it seems really nice. Engine are low hours. I am a big fan of the hardtops. 
    As am I. My intentions are to put cockpit ac/heat due to our style of boating and often cruising in the colder months. 

I was surprised it wasn’t already installed and I’m not completely sure it doesn’t have one as the broker seems to know very little about the boat after speaking to him but I will learn a lot when I get the survey. 

Another question is the motor is. They claim 420hp. I’m know gas engines pretty well but not diesels. I have a friend who has 5.9 Cummins in his house boat and says they are 330hp. Does 420Hp seem wrong or maybe just different tune/parts etc?  Also any idea if that would cause an earlier breakdown/ rebuild or other issues. 

edited March 2020
    420 does seem really high 330 makes more sense but who knows maybe these are a different model that are higher output. I'm sure the survey will reveal the truth. Looking up those engines I also see 380 so who knows. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    No way 420HP each. 320 maybe
    I thought those 5.9 went to 380?

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not hire a captain and have them bring her up via water? Might be cheaper and would be a good shakedown for you. I know a few people that have done the trip from Pittsburgh to Tampa via the Tenn-Tom waterway. Could be a fun trip for someone. Two of the guys that I know are school teachers and they are off right now.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited March 2020
    Why not hire a captain and have them bring her up via water? Might be cheaper and would be a good shakedown for you. I know a few people that have done the trip from Pittsburgh to Tampa via the Tenn-Tom waterway. Could be a fun trip for someone. Two of the guys that I know are school teachers and they are off right now.
    That is a fantastic idea and I plus one that!! Better yet bring it yourself. 

Wait does that waterway get you there? I am West coast so I have no idea but I would definitely boat it up as far as you can. Best part of the diesel is doing long trips. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:

That is a fantastic idea and I plus one that!! Better yet bring it yourself. 
    Awesome idea to do yourself if you have the time - and money! The Great Loop is on my bucket-list. Looks like from Naples to Kentucky Lake clockwise would be about 1/4 of the Great Loop. Maybe someone on here has done the Great Loop and could advise you - or help you crew! 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did not find that one but wow, what a boat! I really got to win the lottery...only way it will happen for us!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    They had a Marine 250 4bt (5.9 minus 2 cylinders)

400 and change sounds doable. Boats dont mind big laggy powerful turbos
    Yep just looked and the 5.9’did go to 420. You’ve got plenty of ponies down there! Should still get more than 1mpg, probably 1.1-1.2...

Al is 30mph his efficient cruise or wide open? I would have guessed she cruises at 25mph or so?

Yes, I had to have my hardtop removed for shipment as well.  I do believe the hardtop sits lower on the 420 than on my 400, but it still needs removed.

As far as the AC, just look at the 420s and they way their cockpit AC was installed.  You should be able to do the same thing.

Driving her home on her own bottom would really be awesome!

@brandonmayberry. If you need me to lay eyes on it for you let me know. I'm only 40 min away

Handy, I would actually LOVE that. Im getting shipping quotes right now....and if anyone wants to make the trip to Kentucky via water on the boat who knows what they are doing i wouldnt be opposed to arranging that also.

If i can get the transport figured out i intend to do a survey but if you are that close i would happily reimburse you for your time to go give it a look.

brandonmayberry said:
    Im getting shipping quotes right now....and if anyone wants to make the trip to Kentucky via water on the boat who knows what they are doing i wouldnt be opposed to arranging that also. 

Very tempting!

You still need to do survey. Also get an oil analysis. I would pay a Cummins Mechanic to do a look over as well. Money well spent