Time for new upholstery

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
I thought i would start a new thread on this.  I decided it was time to redo the upholstery on my 2003 342.  It was getting brittle in areas, seams where starting to come apart...possibly from my cleaning and no matter what i tried i couldn't get rid of a mold smell that was just driving me nuts.  I pulled all the seats out and to get the Captains seats out you need two people.  Then started to get estimates.  Typical local upholstery shop that i go to quoted me $4,400 for everything. They are also really backed up and couldn't get to it till June.  I found http://www.copycatupholstery.com/index.html and decided to give them a shot.  They came back at $2000. You basically send them just the skins and they will make new ones for you in that shape.  You can choose the exact design or customize.  I am going more with a look similar to what @javhav did but with just a few tweaks.

I  pulled all the cushions apart and went to work getting the mold out of the foam.  LOTS of bleach and vinegar.  One big soaking in a tub of bleach water and one dousing in vinegar.  Let them sit out in the sun to dry.

Several of the cushions plywood was rotted so i made new ones out of exterior grade 1/2 plywood.  All others were treated with chemicals to get rid of the mold and then painted with a primer to seal them.  Two of the cushions on the port wall have plastic (styrene .090) backs.  They were brittle, cracking and i think the staples were the only thing holding them together.  An email to Rinker (Malary Wagner Malary.Wagner@polaris.com).  Notice the new email.  They will make the new seat backs for ~$65 and shipping.  Which is a good deal because anywhere else i was looking to buy a full sheet of this and then have to cut out all the holes myself. 

Taking apart the captains seat was also a chore.  The L bracket that holds the seat back to the base is aluminum and the bolts through it are stainless steel.  After 17 yrs they had fused together.  That meant i had to drill out the holes and break out the tap and die set to re-thread them. I am gonna put up some pics so you can see what the cushions looked like. They were all in about the same shape.  I am doing my best to save the foam as it would easily add another $1500 if i had to replace that as well. In addition to the vinyl here is a list of the other stuff i have ordered for this project.

Pneumatic Staple gun $85
10k Stainless Steel staples $65
Cushion underlining (bottom of the seats) $100
Misc Foam 4"x1/8" $300
Paint $50
2" and 2 1/2 Stainless Steel screws and washers to replace a lot of the corroded ones. $25
Plywood $50

It is gonna be about a month before i get the new skins back but i will take some pics re-assembling. The other thing is to get a good pair of tough gloves.  My hands and arms are all gouged up from the staples and i get reminded of how stupid i was for not wearing gloves every time i use hand sanitizer now. 
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great! Nice little project to be working on right now and it looks like you figured out a great way to do it all affordably. Very nice. Are your seat backs also wood or are they plastic? Mine were plastic on the 06 342 which presented its own challenges when making a repair with staples....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 only the seat backs against the port bulkhead are plastic.  Everything else is wood.
  • javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks same thing happened to me with L brackets  bolts snapped those L brackets have tac welded nut on them what I did is popped them off then put bolts going through from the top and the starboard with a lock washer and nut at the bottom 
  • SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Please keep us informed, Im thinking about having copycat do a few of my seats too... Im interested in your review
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, excited to see the finished product!
    2008 330EC
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big project but worth the effort.
    Boat Name : 

Time for a progress report.  I have all the seats finished except the two port back rests.  Still have to wait on Rinker to get back to work and make the styrene backs for me.  CopyCat Uphostery were rock stars.  I give very high marks to Ms Betty Lanigan from Myrtle beach for her customer service, attn to detail and quality of work.  I thought i would share the process for at least one cushion.  

First i started with cleaning and drying out all the foam pieces.  They had to sit out in the sun for several days to really dry out.  Then each one was wrapped in 2mil plastic.  

Each frame piece had the hardware replaced and several coats of paint to seal it. The seat parts also had a plastic mesh material stapled over the bottom part.

Place the cushions and center them

This step is critical.  Once you staple down the interior panels there isn't any shifting.  So make sure it is centered.

I bought 4 In weather striping material to put on the sides and keep the vinyl off of the wood.  They all had this in the beginning but it disintegrated when i took them apart.

Then the hard part starts.  Get everything stretched over and start pulling and stapling.  I worked in the center of each side out.  Then opposite side and then corners last.  Take your time and make sure you turn it over every now and then to ensure you get all the wrinkles out.

Trim off the extra material and then finish it with the strip of hidem. 

I have everything ready to take over to the boat and install.  You can see above that there are a few areas that aren't perfect but i don't think anyone will notice when installed.  I will take some finished pics once installed and share.  

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,534 mod
    Looks fantastic!  

Is this the sort of thing that can be done by anybody with enough patience and attention to detail?  Or does it require special skills that you learned elsewhere?
    Very nice!!
    2008 330EC
    @LaRea i have a certain set of skills....great line from a movie. No special skills. You will want a pneumatic staple gun though for 3/8 in staples.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like doing wall paper? I would love to do this for $$ when I can retire and make some money under the table...
  • javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks do you have a steamer 
    Hey David they look great!!! And no worries on the slight imperfections, the sun and heat are your best friend, the vinyl will shrink some. When I had a 23’ center console we had an upholsterer re cover all of the cushions and had some imperfections which we were told would come out in the first month of sun and heat and sure enough they did and it all looked perfect pretty fast. Nice!!!!

Looks great! I like the pattern you went with.
    2008 330EC
    very nice....a project I would like to tackle..I assume you must have a HD type sewing machine of some sorts? So how hard was it making the pieces...were you able to take the old and trace on to the new material?? Seems like an overwhelming project to me....
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks really good! Maybe if I ever redo my seats I will go with mold/mildew color so I never have to clean them. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    @rasbury.  I didn't do any of the Vinyl sewing.  I worked with a company called http://www.copycatupholstery.com/.  You take the old vinyl off of the seats.  Box it up and send it to them.  They use it as a pattern and send you back the new vinyl.  So i "just" had to do disassembly and reassembly. 
    edited April 2020
    That sounds like a good program @davidbrooks..pretty reasonable cost considering your sweat equity is about half the cost...looks great- I'm about at the same point with mine but will make it through another season...
    They charged me $2400. I spent about another$400 in other misc items.
    Thanks, I did update my comment after going back through the thread...very nice!
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭
    Curious on how these seats look after a summer. Did the vinyl settle in and tighten up at all?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    I will have to look specifically. I am pretty sure they did or it would of bugged me. 
    I did this a few boats ago and was amazed at how nicely it tightened up over the first summer. Looked good at first, but not perfect, some wrinkles, but by sept it looked perfect and always did after that 

Between this and the cabin carpet i am really happy with how it turned out
  • rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @davidbrooks Do you think that mold on the foam will return after you treated it with bleach and vinegar and sunshine?  I am always worried that mold will never go away.  It is nice that copycat did a good job for you.  The seats look great.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link....i wonder if they will do vehicle seat covers???
    @rkinross i soaked my cushions in a washtub with a bleach solution. Let them dry then sprayed with vinegar and let them dry in the sun on the driveway....for a week. Took them out in the sun.  This is what was recomended by the upholstery folks. The cost of the foam was rediculous to replace and more importantly was custom molds. There was no way i would of been able to match it.

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katzskin is a pretty reputable vendor for vehicle leather replacement. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    @Liberty44140 here is a pic now. Was just there today and started to pull apart the helm to bring home.