Options

Off topic: Rinker owners who grill!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys want a great recipe for making pulled pork, the way they do it in North Carolina (spicy) ... check out my thread:

Pork Shoulder — Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beans are good for you. However my wife rarely lets me have them. So when I eat out Hahaha I'll order them if on the menu. here are a few benefits. Nope were not taking about side effects. 

1. Lower cholesterol
    2. help lose wt.
    3. help manage diabetes
    4. protein
    5. fiber
    6. antioxidant
    7. Iron
    8. b vitamins
    9. potassium
    10. magnesium  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,541 mod
    They're good for your heart.  The more you eat, the more you chart.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    You gotta put some of that coleslaw on the pork sandwich @Willhound
    After the pic.....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    You eat a lot of beans my friend!
    Only with pork, either ribs or pulled pork. Just seems traditional. And only if fresh corn on the cob isn't available! Maybe you're thinking of the corn??
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m going to guess that the copious amount of sugar in a can of beans offsets the nutritional benefits. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @Willhound here ya go.
    Click image for larger versionNamez-funny-12jpgViews43Size646 KBID1103435
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Local IGA grocery store ran a sale on pork this week end. Boston butt $1.49 lb, spare ribs $1.99 lb pork loin $1.99 lb. so far have cooked 4 butts, got two slabs of wibs to go and a huge pork loin. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Great, now I can't un-see that.  
  • Options
    Although it is technically Canadian Thanksgiving, no Turkey today. These bad boys are going on low and slow for the afternoon. Pork prices (and meat in general) have been through the roof lately, so I was happy to find these on sale at Farm Boy for $6.99/LB. Any other year a sale would be $2.99. Nice quality though, membrane came off nice and clean and not much trimming. Will post results later, most of you will be shocked to see there will be neither corn or beans tonight  ;) Daughter has requested baked Mac and Cheese and maybe a coleslaw.
    My go to secret rub (ok, here's the secret) of a cup of brown sugar, half a cup ground mustard, tablespoon paprika, teaspoon each of chili powder, cayenne, onion salt, garlic powder, cumin and a touch of Chinese 5 spice. Oh, and usually ground black pepper but I forgot it today.
  • Options
    What -- no corn?!!?  Who are you, and how did you hack into @Willhound's forum account?   :D

I just bought a sous vide cooker, and I'm going to try it on some steaks.  Here's my plan, but I'm open to suggestions.  

Dry-brine 24 hours with kosher salt and ground pepper
    Cold-smoke for 15-20 minutes on the grill
    Cook sous vide to 130*F
    Sear on the grill
    Accept the standing ovation from our dinner guests
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I have six 12-ounce tenderloin filets on a baking rack in the fridge, waiting for the salt and pepper to do their magic!  

Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Oooooo, that is pretty.  Somebody will be well-fed this winter.  
  • Options
    @LaRea, Here a suggestion, and how I won the steak competitions. SV for two hours @130. I would skip the cold smoke beef does not accept smoke as well as pork and chicken. Grill hot, pre melt 1/3 stick kerrygold, on a gasser I use charcoal- place steaks, 1 min, rotate 45 degrees, flip at 2 min rotate at 3 min, brush on melted kerrygold. season with rub, 4 min looking for 140 - 145 IT, may have to wait another min. or two.  Do not over cook. On my hot charcoal grill with grill greats It's 1.5 min. between turns. Serve with red wine. Those are good looking steaks. Your Wife will be extra happy that evening. 

@shawnmjr looking good man. Where did you acquire those?

@Willhound do we need to ship some pigs up there, those prices . I'm. so proud of your daughter requesting mac & cheese and cole slaw. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I've heard opinions that meat accepts smoke best when it's cold.  My thinking was, throw it on the Weber with smoke for a little while (below danger temps) and see what I get.  Bag it with some Kerrygold, rosemary and thyme, then SV to 130. 

Love the idea of brushing with Kerrygold when searing!  Do you brush before the sear?  During?  After? 
  • Options

By all accounts a success. I only take credit for the ribs. The rest was store bought.

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No beans? WTF!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @shawnmjr we paid $25/pound.  It's a sweet deal for the butcher, considering the cows did most of the work.  If I was a Florida Man, I'd just steal them:

https://floridaman.com/shoplifting-florida-man-flees-store-strips-naked-as-steaks-fall-out-of-his-pants/
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @shawnmjr I've heard of online company called Crowdcow, but never ordered from them. Thats not a bad price if they are not select. But other's have said they were good.
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    @LaRea I brush on Kerrygold after flipping the first time. Be careful on too much butter it will flare up. As everyone's taste buds are a little different. I think you can overload on the butter. It will also wash off your rub, but you can add more rub.  I do use whatever is left over and pour it on the platter I'm setting the cooked steaks on. So the other side get's some of that wonderful flavor. I think the last time I picked up some Filets they were over $20 a lb. Maybe $22. So $25 is not bad. Don't get over anxious, let em rest 5-8 minutes before the Cutco hit's it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    30 hours of salt/pepper dry brine
    20 minutes with cherry wood cold smoke
    sprig of rosemary and a pat of Kerrygold
    Ready for 3-hour SV tomorrow

• Options
    awaiting the test results from chief LaRea's test kitchen. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    X2
  • Options
    I only recently learned how awesome steaks taste when grilled low-and-slow followed by a sear just before serving.  Cooking sous vide takes it to another level, with absolute control over final temperature.  Add smoke and Kerrygold -- well, I'm skipping lunch today!

As it that's not enough -- it's Opening Night for Capitals hockey!  Gonna be a great night.
  • Options
    That was one of the best steaks I've ever had.  The texture was PERFECT.  It had a nice crust, there was just a hint of cherry wood smoke, and the coating of Kerrygold was da bomb.

Here's what I did:

Season liberally with coarse ground black pepper and kosher salt
    30 hours in the fridge, unwrapped on a baking rack 
    Cold smoke 20 minutes with cherry wood (burners off, just the smoke tray)
    Vacuum bag with a sprig of rosemary and a pat of Kerrygold
    Back into the fridge overnight
    Cook sous vide for 3.5 hours at 130°F
    Sear on the grill for a total of 5-6 minutes
    Paint 'em with melted Kerrygold

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, @LaRea looks delicious! 😋 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    The steak is cooked perfick. As far as done ness. Appearance is perfick, that's a winner.  I'm sure everyone was impressed. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    LaRea said:
    That was one of the best steaks I've ever had.  The texture was PERFECT.  It had a nice crust, there was just a hint of cherry wood smoke, and the coating of Kerrygold was da bomb.

Here's what I did:

Season liberally with coarse ground black pepper and kosher salt
    30 hours in the fridge, unwrapped on a baking rack 
    Cold smoke 20 minutes with cherry wood (burners off, just the smoke tray)
    Vacuum bag with a sprig of rosemary and a pat of Kerrygold
    Back into the fridge overnight
    Cook sous vide for 3.5 hours at 130°F
    Sear on the grill for a total of 5-6 minutes
    Paint 'em with melted Kerrygold

Looks amazing!

Sous Vide is a really cool way to cook ... I just get concerned about cooking in plastic.

What I've done a few times is cooked on an iron cast griddle.
    I first cook them in a VERY HOT griddle with butter and garlic (can add rosemary) .... about 3 minutes per main side (so 2 x 3 minutes), then season with some KEG seasoning, and finally direct cook high temperature sear at 600F, about 20 to 30 seconds per side (including the long edges, so 4 sides, maybe 6 if short ends are thick too, but need to be careful you don't overcook at this stage). It comes out amazing ... you get almost what you see in the photo ... probably a bit more medium cook penetration in the corners of the steak ... but not bad at all ... much better than direct grill steak!

Here's a link to some of my cooks with this recipe:

Reverse sear, pan grilled steaks! — Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Had a leftover piece warmed up in the microwave.  It was just as amazing!  Still have one full steak left, and I doubt it will survive this evening.

BTW we had a great time watching the Capitals crush the Rangers.