Options

Off topic: Rinker owners who grill!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Looking for suggestions. I'm not about to give up my Traeger but I've been nostalgic for that wonderful charcoal BBQ smell of my youth so I've purchased a kettle style charcoal grill I intend to break in tomorrow and looking for suggestions on what to try? More than a simple hot dog or burger. I'm hooked on reverse sear steaks and that is tougher to do with charcoal. Maybe a pork shoulder on indirect heat for pulled pork? A beef roast? 
    BIG GREEN EGG. I have one (XL) and I love it ... especially for long cooks.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @Willhound Thanks for the explanation. I like the idea of smoking my steaks before cooking them so that type of grill appeals to me. Is there much of a learning curve? 
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura Which model do you have?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RiverRat232 it was this one from Costco, I think we paid $699. Came with the cover,bottom storage cabinet, and WiFi. 

https://www.costco.com/traeger-silverton-620-pellet-grill.product.100506764.html
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    @randy56 Most of the time it's just my wife and 16 year old and sometimes his friends. We have 4 others up to age 35 and they all have two kids. My daughter's husband is kind of a vegan. He wants my grandson to be the same way but I plan on fixing that.  : :D
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Rat, You can find reviews online. Don't buy the cheepest one. Like anything else. I have an opion of your son in law now. LOL
    All I was mentioning about size is don't buy the smallest one. If occasinly you will have a group. I know sometimes it's just my wife and I. It's too big but when family in over I'll fill it up.

Side note yesterday was our 40 th AV. hurray !! 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
     Rat, You can find reviews online. Don't buy the cheepest one. Like anything else. I have an opion of your son in law now. LOL
    All I was mentioning about size is don't buy the smallest one. If occasinly you will have a group. I know sometimes it's just my wife and I. It's too big but when family in over I'll fill it up.

Side note yesterday was our 40 th AV. hurray !! 
    Congrats!

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey congrats @randy56. Say hi to Teva for us.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Congrats @randy56 - This year marks our 25th!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks guys, It's been a wonderful run, just geting started.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    So since my life has taken a turn, I haven’t had to motivation to cook lately, but I decided to smoke a pork butt tonight. It went on at midnight. Should have some tasty pulled pork tomorrow evening. It’s a 9lb piece 

• Options
    @Willhound Thanks for the explanation. I like the idea of smoking my steaks before cooking them so that type of grill appeals to me. Is there much of a learning curve? 
    Not really. And there's a gazillion recipes, videos and websites online that show how to use a Traeger and other pellet grills. Everything from smoked pineapple (actually quite good) to making your own bacon. You'd be making ribs like a pro in no time.
  • Options
    Another benefit to the wifi grill I forgot about is the temp probe notification on your phone that the food is done. I put on some halibut last night and used the probe. I let it smoke at 160 for about 30 min then turned it to 400 and finish to temperature. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Just pulled it to wrap in butcher paper and stick back on. 

• Options
    Nice crust!
  • Options
    Steak is perficly cooked, It's 6 am and mouth is watering.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t boat, let’s smoke. Anyone else getting their smoke on today? 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing @Willhound !! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @YYZRC , what time should we all be over??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    We grilled some of these yesterday straight from the Puget Sound to the grill. Got our 4 limits of 80 each so we have plenty left for the weekend. This was the first take from our trap.

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pretty cool @Aqua_Aura !
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Finally have some catch to show off since the **** salmon are elusive as ever. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Let's meet at @Willhound's place, I bet he's got lots more grilling!

I've got that bottle of Hendricks ready for us to enjoy with @LaRea
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    aero3113 said:
    Let's meet at @Willhound's place, I bet he's got lots more grilling!

I've got that bottle of Hendricks ready for us to enjoy with @LaRea
    Well, to be fair, since we sold the 270 last fall and I'm currently a has-been Rinker owner, (for now anyway) I've got a lot more time on my hands. Also gave up the booze about 3 months ago so the bank account is better off. So I've been spending more time grilling. Picked up a new, larger, pellet grill/smoker about a week ago that I'm still learning. So far just been some jerky, chicken and ribs. I have a birthday next week so this weekend we are celebrating with some Lobster and a beef roast that will be done on the new grill. I'm even debating starting it on pellets for some smoky goodness and then flip over to charcoal to add that flavour and get a nice crispy outside finish.
    On the boating side I did swing by the marina the other day and saw the old girl sitting proudly in the slip. Put me in a funk for a few hours, but then I realized there are going to be all kinds of deals in about another year when all the newbie's that have jumped in realize it's not for them and all go back to golf or whatever. I'm keeping my eyes open. Starting to consider a 22 or so foot centre console that I could trailer back and forth when I retire in a few more years and head south for winters.
  • Options
    I'm coming to your B-day party. What new pellet grill? picture's 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 it's a Country Smoker made by Danson's. Same company as Pit Boss and Louisiana Grills but without all the bells and whistles like wifi. Similar to my Traeger Junior but bigger and has an upper rack and handy folding shelf. Was on sale at Cabela's for $399 or about $329 US. Been happy with it so far. Had to add an extension on my smoker shack though. That was another $50 for a few pieces of lumber... :#
  • Options
    Great price!!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Keeps the weather off, but more because we use it year round so at -20 with a wind it'll still hold steady heat. @randy56 is the pro. I'd love to have his stainless steel prep table and knife collection.