Options

Winter Projects

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭
What winter projects is everyone working on this winter?  Boat or non boat related.  I am replacing my canvas so that is going to soak up all my boat money.  I have a local company that is going to do a full custom enclosure. Higher end materials and strataglass. I replaced the negative block on the transom.  That was long overdue. Of the 12 wires going in 4 of the terminals came off in my hand. I am also going to get my Fireboy Extinguisher inspected and refilled.  That is long overdue also.  I finally found a local guy to do it and for a reasonable price. Other wise i am stuck in the house till spring.  What do you all have in mind?
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same, replacing canvas and doing a sunbrella extension off of the hard top. Past that general maintenance…. Changing plastic idler pulleys to metal, changing all filters and fluids not done in the fall, paint bottom….
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all of my front window panels out for replacement. I dropped them off last week, should have them back next week. 

I’m going to be installing new engine room lights eventually. I have them just need to get motivated!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    After last winter's major project I have to take this winter off as access to the boat is not allowed while on blocks above the water. I do have some things in mind such as upgrading the stereo system and figuring out how to install an extra socket in the galley using the coffee maker breaker (there is no coffee maker). But all of last years work paid off as we had a trouble free season putting on 90 engine hours.
  • Options
    This is what my negative (grounding block just for @raybo3) block looked like that i replaced.  I would say it lived a good life.  
  • Options
    @Grahamu , curious how you guys get the boat up on the wood like that under the roof?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭
    There are steel I beams running the length of the  slips under the roof and they attach electric hoists that slide along over the slips with slings attached. They then move the boat out, drop the slings, bring the boat back in and hoist it, then slide the beams into place and drop and block the boat. Move onto the  next slip. You can see them in this photo.

• Options
    Nice easy way to do it!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oil change in January at some point. Checked oil last weekend and it was above the normal zone. Mechanic was the last one to put oil in it, sure hope he over filled it a little on purpose, otherwise we've got a problem. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    This is what my negative (grounding block just for @raybo3) block looked like that i replaced.  I would say it lived a good life.  
    @davidbrooks that is exactly what mine looks like. I will do mine in the spring. Where did you get the new one? Did the mounting holes line up?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    @raybo3 I replaced it with one from Blue Sea Systems. Blue Sea Systems 250 Amp MaxiBus... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K2MA8I?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share and no holes didn't line up. The old one had 3 small screws holding it in. I just filled the holes with 4200 and put this over top. 
  • Options
    Take some scotch brite to the old block @raybo3, should clean right up. Clean all of the terminals on the wires and reinstall. Spray some corrosion protectant over it and never worry again. I cleaned and sprayed the grounds on the blocks also.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    I need to replace my bow thruster charger and battery.  Also my primary VHF has been acting up, so I need to sort out that issue.  

On grounding blocks, the real issue is the low-quality crimp terminals that allow moisture into the connection.  The best solution is to cut off an inch or two of wire (until you see bright copper) and terminate with a new heat-shrink terminal.  

The other problem is Rinker's practice of jamming two, three, sometimes four wires into a single ring terminal.  You can't keep moisture out of the terminal if there are multiple wires going in.  It's better to have multiple terminals stacked on the screw (but no more than four on each screw).  
  • Options
    @LaRea You are spot on.  The wires that had to replace the ends on were pretty corroded. I cut them back an inch and then would put two at most into a terminal.  I also added about 2 inches of heat shrink tubing over the terminal and up the wire.  The new grounding block let me put almost all my wires on their own stud.  I had to break into my first aid kit on the boat.  When stripping one of the wires i smacked my nose pretty good with the wire stripper.  Enough to cut it and found out i am a bleeder.  I came home looking like i got in a fight.  I told my wife i had an argument with a wire stripper and it got in one good smack.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    I used the project as an excuse to buy a 1-handed wire stripper ... what a great tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Electrical-Klein-Tools-11063W/dp/B00BC39YFQ
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I used the project as an excuse to buy a 1-handed wire stripper ... what a great tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Electrical-Klein-Tools-11063W/dp/B00BC39YFQ
    Now I know what to ask Santa for Christmas! Thanks @LaRea!
  • Options
    Hmmmm.  Asking for a stripper for Christmas.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    I've always used one handed strippers since growing up.  It helps that my mother worked for Delphi (former Packard Electric, aka for all wiring for GM).  She kept us in stock with the best one-handed wire strippers out there.  I still have a pair that is over 40 years old.
    I think I may have to add this to my winter projects.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 885 ✭✭✭
    Based on advice from this site, I got that Klein stripper for Christmas last year.
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn It was one of those things that was on my "I need to get around to it" list. It was actually one of the only things called out with corrosion on my boat survey.  I always knew it needed to be done but didn't realize just how brittle some of the connections were.  I am going to have to add that wire stripper to my tool box also.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazon doesn’t seem to offer a “pay by the song” option??
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    Found this can koozie in my computer bag the other day......keeping the theme goin.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    • Want to replace the remaining 4 JL 6.5" cockpit speakers with newer 7.7" JL's.
    • Disassemble windlass & clean & grease. (never done it before)
    • Find the slow parasitic drain on the house batt.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Have a bad cone clutch so my outdrive is in my garage and will be fixed towards the end of winter. Once we get the boat out of storage I am going to go back over my windlass install. I want to tidy up the wiring a little and pull the windlass and re-seal the holes. I used 4200 but realized I left a piece off and had to pull it back up so the 4200 might not be sealed well enough so gonna pull it back up and re-do it. Other than that hopefully just minor things. Was gonna install an extended swim platform but not gonna be in the budget this year. Mother and step-father 'upgraded' from their pontoon to a 2004 Stingray cabin cruiser with no VHF. She bought everything they need for it for him for X-Mas so I will likely be installing it for them this spring too.
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    I worked on my 410 all last winter ,every weekend I could. It was a great way to spend a Covid riddled winter. I said this year that I was just going to leave the boat under the cold shrink wrap and try to stay warm. I thought I would do my projects in the spring . Will see how long that lasts before I am down there again. Ha ha.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    replace ace to old carpet with vinyl and replace the headliner 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Some canvas maintenance, clear replacement.
    2. Bottom paint
    3. Throttle and steering cables etc adjustments
    4. Fir new steering wheel
    5. New blower hoses and vent covers

Then usual spring activities!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    @ian I have to replace my steering wheel also. Wood on the old one split End of last year and got worse this summer.  Let us know what you come up with for a replacement
  • Options
    Hi @Pat310, mine is starting to crack in places and decided this https://www.westmarine.com/buy/schmitt-marine-steering--steering-wheel-black-w-burlwood-inserts--10438398 would make a nice Christmas gift to me! Here I simply test fit leaving the hub from the old and undoing the 6 hex screws, came with new hub and will use when I get a puller.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Here is an option also @Pat310 . These came on the newer Rinkers, pricey but I love the look and feel of the wheel. My friend that owns a ‘06 SR 290 saw mine and bought one.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-14399-13-34-isotta-carlotta-steering-wheel.aspx

Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Nice wheel also, I liked the one with the matching timber to the dash panels.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”