Here we go...hurricane season for the US starts..

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
May be an image of map sky and text that says EURO 12Z TUES AM 110 90 85 80 EURO 18Z TUES AM Kopp 60 76 72 68 64 62 58 50 42 38 34 30 27 22 20 12 10

Lovely. 

Grabbed a bunch of water and a bunch of gas today (at 3.05 a gallon!?), fun times ahead. 

Comments

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    11pm Friday night update, officially a TS
    May be an image of map sky and text
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Yea...not looking so good for us...I'm about 25 miles NE of Orlando...about 45 miles inland from the east coast...boat is out front so will strip it down. Watch and see.  Have had mine home. Cleaning it etc and was planning on a little Sunday cruise...
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nova Scotia, P.E.I. and Cape Breton getting whacked by Fiona right now...
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Willhound said:
    Crazy! Has CA ever gotten hit by a hurricane?
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    @J3ff We sure do my friend. We are enjoying Fiona at the moment with hurricane force winds in the northern part of Nova Scotia. High winds/rain overnight and a province with 1 million people, 386,000 households/businesses were without power at 4:00am. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland usually get hit every few years. They are nowhere near the strength of the southern US storms , but will land as post tropical storms or a Cat 1. Our power went out at 10 last night and is still off as I write this. No damage at the house, but the city has 38 building cranes set up which are of concern. One toppled 3 years ago when hit by Dorion. This pretty much kills boating season for a lot of people. 

J3ff said:
    Willhound said:
    Crazy! Has CA ever gotten hit by a hurricane?
    @halifax212 has a bird's eye view. Storms often follow the Gulf stream north right past the eastern seaboard with the next stop being eastern Canada before heading east again out to sea.
  • mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    Well lets hope this thing just heads west out into the gulf. Mine is on a rack so I will go over and get everything that can blow, off and in the cabin. My daughter is up in Orlando to lets hope her and Ras are safe. As usual the press down here in South Florida is whipping everyone into a frenzy, maybe its needed, I don't know. 
    11 AM update pushed it more west. cone graphic
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope you and your family are safe @halifax212
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    @YYZRC Thanks, we are ok but power is still out with a restoration time of Sunday Midnight.  My genny is working overtime.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    That doesn’t sound too bad all things considered. I hope they are able to get you back on the grid that quickly!

What was your perception of the storm? As bad as expected/forecasted?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Just got our power back!  If you lived close to the centre line I would say it lived up to the hype. Several large century trees were toppled causing most of the property damage. Storm surge washed ocean front properties into the Atlantic in SW Newfoundland. It actually kept its strength on its path through NS, PEI and southwest NL. So yes It lived up to the forecast. I have seen many hurricanes fizzle out when they hit the cold North Atlantic waters after being hyped up with the population clearing grocery store shelves and emptying gas stations.  
    Just going to keep updating here.. because a LOT of people are saying that it's going to hook to the East even though the models are saying west.

Guess we'll see who's right! Will try to stay up for 11pm update
    cone graphic
    Just got our power back!  If you lived close to the centre line I would say it lived up to the hype. Several large century trees were toppled causing most of the property damage. Storm surge washed ocean front properties into the Atlantic in SW Newfoundland. It actually kept its strength on its path through NS, PEI and southwest NL. So yes It lived up to the forecast. I have seen many hurricanes fizzle out when they hit the cold North Atlantic waters after being hyped up with the population clearing grocery store shelves and emptying gas stations.  
    glad to hear you're getting back to normal and have power back!!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news @halifax212 !
    2008 330EC
    edited September 2022
    @J3ff you have nothing to fear from Ian or any of the other storms/hurricanes. Desantis has a plan to put them all on an airplane and send them directly to Martha's Vineyard......fixes the problem. :D
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Stay safe everyone...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Oh my goodness!  That’s terrible.
    I think I read they have never had a hurricane before?
    West coast is going to bear the brunt of this one. 

Schools closed for the week over there..
    cone graphic
    rasbury said:
    I think I read they have never had a hurricane before?
    Parts of Newfoundland have never seen one with this much damage before, but hurricanes hit Canada all the time. Hurricane Hazel in 1954 suddenly veered and sat over southern Ontario and the city of Toronto causing $1Billion in damage in today's dollars, left 4000 homeless and killed 81 in Ontario alone. Most from drowning when basements suddenly flooded in the middle of the night.
    I guess the images I posted are updating on their own. As you can see the keys are in for some impacts now as it turned a little East.. 

Mostly worried about surge at the moment. I think my setup is okay, but if it goes high enough it could end up scratching some paint! 
    O have my boat on trailer at the house..might be safer in the water! As long as it stays on tge projected trac we should be fine...I'm a little south of daytona and 50 miles from the east coast...
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    rasbury said:
    O have my boat on trailer at the house..might be safer in the water! As long as it stays on tge projected trac we should be fine...I'm a little south of daytona and 50 miles from the east coast...

Ras, you should be fine.  Keep her strapped tight to the trailer on higher ground.  Good luck to all those in the path.  We'll be getting the rain this weekend here.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Turned to the East again... spent last night on the boat, amazing lightning show, constant thunder for a while, winds are just picking up now.. crazy amount of rain.. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @J3ff stay safe bro
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Keeps nudging closer and closer.. Boat is dancing at the dock!