Twitter: Spectacular meltdown in progress, thoughts?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wow! Who thought such a "smart" guy could get shown the "find out" part of that old staying "F around and find out" so fast?!

I've been a fan of Tesla, even bigger fan of SpaceX and Starlink... I knew Elon made his employees slaves, but after having a few friends who make more than 200k per year working for him, I thought he was an "ok" guy.. Never respected the way he treated women or family, but we all have flaws, even though those are pretty large flaws I could still respect him for pulling together people that made rocket booster that can land themselves after going to space... taking self driving tech to the highest levels ever seen etc...

However, this twitter meltdown is incredible to watch. 

When he sent out the email on Wed. telling the remaining employees that they need to come back to the office, work double the hours, for the same pay and if they were not producing OUT OF THE WORLD results they would be fired, I knew the **** was about to hit the fan. 

THEN HE WENT AND OFFERED 3 MONTHS SEVERANCE OVER THE HOLIDAYS!? Holy cow! 

So yesterday the estimates are 75% of the remaining folks quit. They had to close up all twitter offices and all of their access cards stopped working.. rumors are anything from the guys in charge of them quit to they did it because Elon is afraid that people will go in and destroy things. 

An email went out saying YOU MUST RETURN TO THE OFFICE, the old guard all cheered "YAY ELON YOU THE MAN" - and then 75% of the company said "NOPE" - LOL!! No matter what side you are on you have to admit this is better than any netflix series!! 

Now he's left with an estimated 12.5% of the workforce that he had on the first day of CEO and many of those folks are LOCKED in to the company. One guy has a wife with cancer, who needs the insurance, another guess is that most of the remaining have Visa's tied to the company and would have to leave the country.. 

Other thoughts out there are that this is exactly what he wanted to do. Buy twitter, burn it to the ground and then claim it as a loss. 

Guess we'll see! Should be an interesting few days over there!! 

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish he had bought Facebook instead.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I guess I'm getting old because I've never ever used Facebook, Twitter, instagram, tik tok, & never bought any crypto, which is crazy too.  Some think it's strange I don't want to waste all my time on a computer with all that but yet I spend so much time on this forum!  I sure do love my boating!! :smiley:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Musk got himself way over his head with Twitter.  He’s a “idea” guy with massive amounts of money and ability to borrow even more. He himself has not engineered or designed anything: it’s all on the people he hired.  

He makes himself to be the King Maker. He’s not that good.  What he is good at is using government spending to fund his businesses: every one of them depends or depended on government money.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I guess I'm getting old because I've never ever used Facebook, Twitter, instagram, tik tok, & never bought any crypto, which is crazy too.  Some think it's strange I don't want to waste all my time on a computer with all that but yet I spend so much time on this forum!  I sure do love my boating!! :smiley:
    Agree, LinkedIn is the only “social media” I use unless you count boating forums. No impact but I’m certainly watching what is going on with Twitter. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's Twitter?
    Could die tomorrow and I wouldn't care..
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Elon is a troll.  He's doing exactly what he wanted to do with Twitter.   Wouldn't be the first or last time someone with deep pockets spent a ton of money to have the last laugh.  Dude walked into Twitter headquarters with a sink.  

The melt downs on Twitter have been the best part of Twitter since it's launch.    

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Jack Dorsey admitted that Twitter had waay to much staff & that he had over employed too many people. Just hadn't gotten to the lay-offs yet. 

All the Tech Co's are in the midst of lay-offs. A reset in the industry. Definitely an interesting watch.

North America is pretty much at full employment, but the work production is poor.

Accountability - has shown up at the door! 

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    What he did was trim the FAT.  ALL of it.  Extremely corrupt, and top heavy company, that he exposed to millions upon millions of fake bots.   His pockets are deep enough, that this is all a game to him.   I love him.  I don't have Twitter, or plan to....but I LOVE that he allowed Donald Trump back on.  
    Free speech RULES! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Here we go again…..

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had to ask my wife what is twitter? Because it sounds like something you do under the sheets at nite. 
    Boat Name : 

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    It's tough to find ways to talk about current events without politics coming into it. I promise that was not the PREMISE of this thread. I've just enjoyed watching it be exposed that this guy Elon isn't the great messiah.. he's literally just a rich kid that was handed things in life. He formed a couple teams that work extremely hard and are extremely bright. Sure one time he had to "save the company" by getting investors.. do we really think he  did that himself? :D 

The revelation that he lied about his education is amazing...especially that his degree was then BOUGHT by board members...wow. 

Some people look at this and cheer "Yay, twitter folks have to work hard now"..

What I see are people who cannot leave their job, Visa holders, people who need the healthcare for a spouse, etc..

It's amazing to think that people are CHEERING that others humans now have to "work harder" for their money.. what kind of backwards logic is that?

Got into an all day discussion with a friend who claims he works hard and for that reason alone no one should ever have a cush job that pays well.

He's the same as all the other people who worship wealthy folks. Meanwhile when I bring up that a LARGE percentage of wealthy folks do nothing but spend their parents fortunes, and how little they actually work he had no defense for why they shouldn't  work hard.

I work for a bunch of different wealthy people... and sometimes that  includes opening mail etc.. the tax these mostly retired people pay are upwards of 500k per  year! While they cruise around the country and globe.. not "working" more than just to read summaries of their investments, etc.. 

The point is why is the common man (us) cheering when a rich man (Elon) comes in and takes away the common mans highly paid job that doesn't require grueling work??? 

It's almost like when the working man celebrates any politician.. no matter what side they are on. These politicians are literally taking money out of each one of our paychecks to support themselves, and their lavish lifestyle.. AND they work LESS THAN the average 40 hour worker as well! 

One more thing before I get off this soap box. Jack Dorsey ran the company the way he wanted and he had 1000's of happy, well paid employees.. 

Elon is free to run it how he wants..
    but he could ease up on the coming in as a dictator role. All I see here is a guy who barely knows how to run a company on his own. There are professional ways conduct business, even in a take over..and sending around an email telling you to click on a link (what?! Who does that!?) to keep your job isn't professional in the least. 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't begrudge those who inherit wealth- but I don't worship either.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    J3ff said:
    It's tough to find ways to talk about current events without politics coming into it. I promise that was not the PREMISE of this thread. I've just enjoyed watching it be exposed that this guy Elon isn't the great messiah.. he's literally just a rich kid that was handed things in life.

Not entirely correct, read the book and you’ll see he wasn’t simply a rich kid handed things - he worked, drove people, made demands and pi$$ed people off. I am not fan nor a non-fan and the book was interesting in exposing the background of his life but also some great achievements.

He continues to demonstrate how things can be done differently than “the way its always been done” - the big B still can’t get their reusable craft to the ISS yet.
    Post edited by raybo3 on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    I believe, you can do with your company whatever you need to do to make it work better.
    The new loser of the day is the CEO of Disney who just got fire in less than a year in the job. Disney brought back the old CEO from retirement  after the new CEO drove the company to the grount after he took over . It look like some else who took a perfect economy to a disaster in record time, but that is another topic.
    oscar1 said:
    I believe, you can do with your company whatever you need to do to make it work better.
    The new loser of the day is the CEO of Disney who just got fire in less than a year in the job. Disney brought back the old CEO from retirement  after the new CEO drove the company to the grount after he took over . It look like some else who took a perfect economy to a disaster in record time, but that is another topic.
    Yep.  Go woke, go BROKE! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Funny how that works... many people were overjoyed that speech would finally be "free" on twitter thanks to Elon... hmm seems like Elon decides what free speech is now, based on his own personal world experiences.. that doesn't seem so FREE now does it...? 

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Topics like this on a boating forum is why I hate this time of year.  Let’s not see how myself or Raybo show how “free” your speech is here.😉

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    It's not that bad. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Alex Jones is insane, which makes it's scary how many times he's been right on his predictions.  
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Seriously what's the point of this crap? I am really starting to lose my patience with this BS............  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you marketing of Twitter has never been so much more effective.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    in New York there are 2 seasons    Boating season and waiting for boating season 
    GMSLITHO said:
    in New York there are 2 seasons    Boating season and waiting for boating season 
    Is that because there are no good hockey or football teams there????

🤣🤣🤣🤣
    GMSLITHO said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Hey now, the Giants are the best.. even if they never win...the did win at one point and that's why my dad likes them :P 
    J3ff said:
    GMSLITHO said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Hey now, the Giants are the best.. even if they never win...the did win at one point and that's why my dad likes them :P 
     I was kidding. My Steelers have given me zero bragging right in years. My penguins will likely not make the playoffs this year and have not gotten past the first round of playoffs since 2018

But my gamecocks did knock off #5 Tennessee 62 -38 this weekend and could also knock off a top 10 ranked Clemson this weekend who's football team isn't nearly as good as Tennessee.  

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    GMSLITHO said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣
     I was kidding. My Steelers have given me zero bragging right in years. My penguins will likely not make the playoffs this year and have not gotten past the first round of playoffs since 2018

But my gamecocks did knock off #5 Tennessee 62 -38 this weekend and could also knock off a top 10 ranked Clemson this weekend whose football team isn't nearly as good as Tennessee.  

Our Steelers are rebuilding even if Tomlin won’t admit it. The game Sunday showed some hope, but the OC needs to go. Who knows what is up with the Pens. Can’t figure that one out. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    the Devils are having a great season