Ethanol Fuel - Canada - Nov 1st 2022

mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
Just a heads up.
ALL gasoline sold in Canada is gov't mandated to have a minimum of 10% ethanol.
You cannot get non-ethanol fuel anywhere. I've tried.

I'd say the old method of filling your tank at the end of a season might not be a good idea. 
New practice will likely to be to run your equipment empty before storage.
246BR, 276BR, H310BR current

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not good for any kinda rec vehicles.
    Boat Name : 

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    @randy56

My recreational 'spark plug index' is quite high.
    Lots of lawn equip, snowblowers, snowmobiles, etc.

Ethanol destroys that stuff, gums up carbs, overheats, fuel lines/gaskets turn to goo.
    My buddies snowblower fuel lines literally turned to jelly.

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. That’s frustrating. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I have always advised not to fill up the fuel tank before winter storage. Run them close to empty and if you have ethanol fuel add ethanol treatment .during the last run of the season.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    We've had ethanol fuel for years now. Even your pure gas has ethanol content although lower than 10% 

I prefer marine stabil over all others.

The fuel in my personal home backup generator was qt 89 octane 10% ethanol.. 3 years ago and will fire up just fine.  I start it every 4 months.  

I highly advise stabilizing every tank of fuel you buy in boats/toys/lawn equipment and keep tank full. Start them every 60 to 90 days if possible. 

Ethanol attracts water so keep tank full keeps air and water out.

Even pure gasoline without stabilize will break down and gum up everything 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited December 2022
    I’m with Rick on this one.  Use a good stabilizer.  I use Startron, but I’m sure there are other good brands too.  Once water is in there, you are stuck pumping it all out.  I don’t use stabilizer all thru the summer, but I know I’m gonna burn a full tank (300 gallons) a few times just in July.  But I add it again after my August 10 day trip each year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer non ethanol in all my lawn equip and try to use the tru fuel in all the 2 stroke stuff but my 4 stroke tractor is 20 yrs old and has only ever seen 10% ethanol and is still going strong. Oil change every fall and I’ve drained all fuel from the system and carb every fall. If you don’t let it sit you’re in much better shape.
    Mattie you can just shoot over to port Huron for ethanol free right?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I had seen this a few years ago - being illegal to use in boats.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

I wish you guys would stop bashing ethanol fuels, I make so much money off of them. 

Dream_Inn said:
    I’m with Rick on this one.  Use a good stabilizer.  I use Startron, but I’m sure there are other good brands too.  Once water is in there, you are stuck pumping it all out.  I don’t use stabilizer all thru the summer, but I know I’m gonna burn a full tank (300 gallons) a few times just in July.  But I add it again after my August 10 day trip each year.
    If I ever buy another gassers boat I'm naming her Gretta 

Mattie you can just shoot over to port Huron for ethanol free right?
    Yaa, My plan is to fill up some gas cans in Port Huron & strap them in the bed of the truck.
    Although CBP does not like fuel crossing the border in any sort of cans. 

Hopefully Michigan doesn't follow suit & use ethanol in all blends as well.
    I usually fill up boat at Desmonds in Black River.
    So what is the government's reasoning behind no non ethanol? Is this trend coming to the US?
    Boat Name : 

Would be a lot of boat issues…. Heck Tiara was still using fiberglass tanks even in to around the year 2000

If there is a barrier coat in the fiberglass fuel tanks it won't be an issue.  
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    randy56 said:
    So what is the government's reasoning behind no non ethanol? Is this trend coming to the US?
    There is a mistaken belief that it reduces emissions. It does cut CO2 but then releases a whole raft of other nasty gases, not to mention the emissions created in the farming of the corn and production of the ethanol. It all started back in the 70's from intense lobbying by the corn industry in the U.S. and a desire to lessen dependence on middle East oil.
    What is even more ludicrous is that a new proposal that is fated to pass  will require that manufacturers ensure at least 20% of new cars, SUVs and pickups sold in Canada will be zero-emission by 2026, at least 60% by 2030, and 100% by 2035. So electric. But our electricity production and delivery infrastructure already requires a $350 Billion upgrade over the next 30 years just to maintain the status quo. Never mind the necessary upgrades for all electric vehicles. I plan on buying my last vehicle (hopefully) in 2034. Gas.
    Edit for spelling....my OCD..🙄
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Interesting read, kinda long, but informative.
    https://axleaddict.com/cars/Pros-and-Cons-of-Ethanol-in-Gas
    Boat Name : 

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    We have no non-ethanol fuel near us, so always stuck with E10. But when we visit the relatives in Iowa they have ethanol-free gas. I always notice an improvement in MPG on the good stuff. Funny thing is Iowa is one of the states pushing ethanol because of the corn farmers, yet they still offer ethanol-free gas at the pump.
    Not to totally reroute but interesting point on MPG. My wife’s suv takes mid grade or higher and I absolutely see an MPG improvement when I use premium vs mid grade (or when I mistakenly use regular and gave to feel it running rough until I can dilute my mistake). 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I don't see any difference at all using mid-grade or premium in my Infiniti. I get about 17 gpm in the city on either.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    Not to totally reroute but interesting point on MPG. My wife’s suv takes mid grade or higher and I absolutely see an MPG improvement when I use premium vs mid grade (or when I mistakenly use regular and gave to feel it running rough until I can dilute my mistake). 
    Motor Week on PBS just did a story on regular, mid, high grade (octane) gas. Takeaway was if your vehicle doesn't require mid or high it's a waste of money to buy it, won't help anything. But if you have a car that requires premium, it WILL affect your MPG negatively if you use the lower octane stuff.
    edited January 2023
    The modern vehicle ignition and timing systems are so advanced most drivers won't notice a difference between 87 and 93 octane unless you're towing or driving it with a very heavy foot.   

That being said, a driver who has an ear and butt cheeks sensitive to their vehicles behavior would be more likely to notice a performance different in a 6000 lbs SUV with 300 hp vs a 3500lbs sedan with 300hp.

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 6.1 SRT Hemi in my Jeep, and it has to run on 91 Octane.  I haven't tried regular unleaded yet.  It's definitely not a normal engine though  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
    edited January 2023
    No one buys an SRT 6.1 because they drive normally.  Chevy and Ford are trying to go hybrid or EV in every line while Dodge engineers are snorting coke off of a stripper's **** while drawing up plans to stick a hemi in a caravan.  

For that I respect Dodge,. Because of the V8, not the drugs and womanizing.
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    No one buys an SRT 6.1 because they drive normally.  Chevy and Ford are trying to go hybrid or EV in every line while Dodge engineers are snorting coke off of a stripper's **** while drawing up plans to stick a hemi in a caravan.  

For that I respect Dodge,. Because of the V8, not the drugs and womanizing.
    Yea I definitely didn't buy this Jeep to be economical hahahaha.  I have read that 2023 is the last year for the Hellcat.  Chrysler is going EV for "muscle" cars.  They are definitely fast, but boring, and will definitely put a strain on the grid if more start going that direction....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mattie where are the details on this?  I'm still seeing premium gas labeled as no ethanol at several stations.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a proposal, that as far as I know, has not been passed yet but has been put out on the internet by certain critics of the current government as a fait accompli. But make no mistake. The weasels in power definitely want to pass it.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    @YYZRC If you are still seeing "no ethanol" stickers...they need to be re-labelled.

Clean Fuel Standard Regulations for Nov 1st 2022

Effective November 1, 2022, all grades of gasoline will contain up to 10% ethanol*.  This change is not our decision, but a response from our fuel suppliers and the rest of the industry to comply with the Government of Canada’s Clean Fuel Standard regulations. 

For most people this is a non issue.
    For us boaters/recreational equip - it is a big issue. Also the fact that the gov't is mandating incremental increases in ethanol content moving fwd. 

All fuels including the fancy premium fuels have a minimum 10% ethanol. Everywhere. No exceptions.
    The minimum 10% content was to be completed before the end of 2022.
    Content goes up from there  - 2025 - 2030