What happens when you hear...Clunk Clunk?? B.O.A.T.T

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
Ok, I actually thought I'd get one year in with this boat and not another "T" on the ole B.O.A.T at before the last T (stands for "Ten").  I was heading out the river to go across the bay for a little lunch and just an enjoyable day.  Been using the boat a ton the last 4 weeks or so and thought just a small trip and relax would be good.  Not even out of the river, and something instantly didn't sound right on plane. I pulled her back, shut the stbd engine off first and the noise went away. I knew it wasn't good, so I didn't dare restart.  Limped on one engine over to my favorite mechanic.  He was ready with the sling when I got there (gotta love that customer service!!).  Took a look and well, I'll be replacing the engine!! :(  Sounds like a rod was thrown.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Dam that's sucks.....I'm beginning to think boating is expensive :/
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited September 2015

Well, sometimes you get lucky for a while.  My first boat was a 240 and in 6+ seasons I went thru 2 engines. Most of it was my fault.  Second boat was a 310 and we had 7 summers with the boat never being on land (kept on a lift). All was good. 

This is our 4th summer with this boat, and yes the boat is great.  But 3 of the 4 summers we had to B.O.A.T.T.  (one case the first T was a Twenty, not a Ten - Oh!) 

So yes, boating is not cheap, and no, we are not made of money.  We use coupons and save as much as possible!  We just enjoy our boating addiction!  This one just really hurts right now!  So bad that I've been home on this Saturday night (been over 5 months since I've been home on a Sat night) and it took me over 4 hours before I finally had a drink!  SUCKS! 

But I am very fortunate I have a great mechanic that will work his hardest to get our family back on the water and try to make it a good price and even more importantly do it right!  I'll know more on Monday for sure.

• bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    That's gotta hurt ,but in the end it's worth it ,nothing better than a good weekend on the water with family and friends!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DI, fingers crossed. Have not heard of a marinized 496 throwing a rod. Hope its something else! 

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I question the thrown rod too. Al makes a good point about running it with the drive off. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Best of luck Dream. Hopefully its not the rod......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would never happen with a Diesel. 
    @alswagg, yes, it is a 496 that I have and I have always changed the oil yearly with synthetic blend (Mercruiser, which is recommended). I'll say I checked fluids before it happened and I was just at the bottom of the ok line, but figured I'd be changing oil in a couple weeks.  I'd think that would not be the issue.  Dipstick showed ok as far as water or anything else.

The first thing they had planned today was to pull the outdrive and run it to make sure.  I'll say, with engine hatch up, it sure sounded like the engine.  The outdrive actually engaged, fwd and rev.  The noise was absolutely horrific!  it is more than a knocking sound.  Sounds like something gave way.  I do hear you on swapping crank and rod though, I'll have to see what they say.  I can honestly say they will give me a fair judgment that I can trust.  I would think I'd be chancing it by rebuild and would be better off going with a new block?

Al, what if it's a rod, what's the typical reason that would happen?  Too much torque on the engine?  I know I'm pushing a lot of weight.  Believe it or not, I try to be conscious and not overload the boat with too much weight and try to be either on plane or off plane, not sit at that tough spot between.

I'll post hopefully later today what else is found out.  Crossing my fingers that maybe it's something in the upper part of drive.

Good luck bro.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited September 2015
    Usually a thrown rod is a bearing failure..typically at the crankshaft.  Oil pressure would drop too.  That said, there is a whole list to consider:
    Broken valve/spring
    Wrist pin sliding out of the piston/rod
    Broken rocker arms
    bent rod(s)

Won't know until you get it apart.  You can't 'over torque' the engine..it would stall. 

If the block/head(s) are OK, then just a straight forward overhaul.  May as well hone the bores and new rings too.  As long as it is out and apart may as well redo it all.

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Dream, You are right on the line that gas motors can handle with the weight and torque needed to push that heavy boat. Sorry you are having trouble. When will you know?
    Must be something else. U joint?
    Well, it looks like the outdrive is done! Al was correct that it was not the engine. The shaft in the drive was busted and tore up casing and everything else inside. the real question, @alswagg or anyone else, why would this happen? the gear lube was good and no burn smell. The gear went on my other drive last year. That was claimed on insurance. Not sure what to do about this one. I hate to turn it in, but that is what they are for. Just don't know why it happened? At least it's an easy fix...Just takes B.O.A.T.T. (I have to look at it somehow and not be too upset)

• youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Well, it looks like the outdrive is done! Al was correct that it was not the engine. The shaft in the drive was busted and tore up casing and everything else inside. the real question, @alswagg or anyone else, why would this happen? the gear lube was good and no burn smell. The gear went on my other drive last year. That was claimed on insurance. Not sure what to do about this one. I hate to turn it in, but that is what they are for. Just don't know why it happened? At least it's an easy fix...Just takes B.O.A.T.T. (I have to look at it somehow and not be too upset)

• youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    you hit a huge tree or a submerged Volkswagon, thats what you tell the insurance.
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Tell them you ran over a sea Ray that was in the way. Glad to hear it wasn't the motor
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news!  Hey, insurance is like any other contract: you take whatever you're entitled to take.  It's certainly not going to hurt their feelings!  

I hope this means your season isn't over - right?  Can they slap another drive on there?
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DI, for the previous insurance claim, was only 1 drive fixed, or both? Could it be possible that you had some undiscovered damage in this drive, from that incident, and now it's reared its ugly head?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

The other drive was replaced last year.  The insurance adjuster was claiming the gear was faulty (she wanted to take it to Merc, but not sure what happened).  This time, I just got better description, the gear actually split in half inside and made a mess.  I'd love to know why this is happening.  A quote is being worked up, but I'm planning on eating this cost.  My mechanic has always treated me well and will do me right, I'm sure.  He was ordering the drive today on my go and said he may have it in hand tomorrow.  Means I need to get down there and wax her up while she is still on land!  I've asked them to change out anything needed,(i.e. u-joint, gimbal, etc).  I'm not pushing for this weekend, but we'll see.  I have Friday off, so I could really use that day to wax while she is out.  I'll have to post a pic or two.  I've heard it is a real mangled mess inside the drive.

• SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    So there was a lot of talk of BOATT in this thread... Why not shop online for a better priced replacement, then take the old busted drive off yourself and hang on the new drive? Im sure it could save you several thousand. Is the whole drive junk? Sounds like just the upper gave up the ghost.  I lost a b3 lower last season, found a good replacement from a local shop for $1500 and was back on the water.
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
    Why are boats so unreliable?

SeaHare, you are correct in that I could remove and replace myself.  I'd first have to find a marina that would allow me to do that in their yard. I'd also still have to pay to have the boat pulled, blocked, and then put back in the water.  As far as upper unit & lower unit, I'll have to confirm, but my belief right now is both of them are hosed.  So, it's a full replacement.  I want to stick with OEM, so yes, I'll pay a little more, but that is the way I want to go.  I'll have a 2 year warranty from Merc as well.  I have a lot of weight to push, and we use the heck out of our boat, so I want it dependable.  I have one of the best mechanics, period. (I think he matches up close to Al, which is saying something)  Him and his entire family go out of their way to make things right!  My price will be very reasonable & I have a good idea what it'll be.  I do most of my maintenance, but I do draw the line with drive removal and engine removal.

Handy, good question!  As others have said, put your house and all the stuff inside it on a boat, go 35 mph cruising (in your case 25mph), shake it all around, add salt/brackish/or fresh water in the mix...and well, for some reason, reliability goes out the door!

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Its a learning lesson for us newbies on your attitude toward the situation.  When I dealt with a leaky fuel tank on previous boat, I lost sleep over the issue.  Good luck to you and hope your back on the water soon.

If you dont mind me asking, you said your going to eat it, why not claim it on insurance?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Handy I would say environment (water intrusion)and to many moving (mechanical) parts and abuse by a lot of owners are the leading culprits of unreliability IMO.  
    DI, Spring Cove would let you do everything yourself  FYI. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why boats are unreliable?  Might as well ask why Handy always stirs the pot.  
    I have just never seen so many issues. Its crazy
    Be interesting to see pictures of the split gear. I've done a lot of inspections/reports on failed mechanical drivetrain parts. If the gear split, bet it was through a keyway. That's usually a manufacturing issue. Corrosion can be at fault too. Pictures of the fracture face tell the story of fatigue or sudden failure. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Patrick, unfortunately I've had two large insurance claims over the last 2+ years.  I've been fortunate that my rates really didn't go up (I'm actually very happy with my rates).  With my large deductible, I just think I'm risking making a claim, that they may or may not accept anyhow.  You speak of losing sleep...many on here know of my first claim (vapor explosion).  It took 10 weeks till we got the boat back, happening right in the middle of July.  I learned a lot from that.  & man do we have some great boating friends!  The boat is just material & can be fixed/replaced. 

As far as Handy, we couldn't have a better person to stir the pot! :)

Or put in the pot........lol Handy just kidding bro.