Next problem - wet carpet downstairs.

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
Found some wet carpet downstairs last week - used a spot carpet vacuum to try and dry it up and a heater... and I haven't gotten it completely dry yet, even after a week..  now it started raining yesterday and poured ALL night and day which seems to have led to this spot being soaked again (again used the vacuum). 

If you don't know... the North East has had a drought - up until yesterday... so I'm trying to sort out where this might be coming from. There's a few factors to consider:

1. I have slept out on the boat once and I did notice the fresh water pump DOES kick on every 15 or 20 mins and it runs for 10 or so seconds rebuilding pressure.

2. I noticed the wet carpet right after I washed it for the first time. 

3. I have looked under the sink to see if I can see any leaking water, I don't see anything. 

4. After a week of trying to dry it, I noticed it very wet again today after it rained (and no mooring cover) for 12+ hours. 

5. I have tried to avoid pressurizing the freshwater system, but there are times that I really need it.. so I will go hit the switch, do what I need to do and then let all the water run out.. 

I have searched this topic and found a few threads, but they were all closed/locked... 

If the freshwater pump kicks on, obviously that seems to be where to start.. is there any known issue with the water lines on this boat? or would any of you have any suggestions on where to look? I can't see any seeping water or water droplets anywhere. 

Comments

• BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

Did u pull the cabinet in bathroom and look at lines? Pulling the showhead out, pulls on the lines, loosening them. Mine leaked this spring. if your getting water in front bilge, look there.....could also run elsewhere, depending on water following hoses. I'd don't like the fittings at the taps, very weak imo, and easily loosened.

I also resealed rub rail, lots of spots missing sealer. And if no cover, what about storage bin behind front port seat? If its not sealed up, that will run right down there.

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your fresh water pump runs every 15 min there's a small leak somewhere. It should not come on until you call for water. 
    The red and blue pex lines as you know are your hot and cold to sink. In mine there are shut off valves, to the sink in the engine bay. in front of hot water heater, as a process on elimination, shut those two valves, see if pump stays off.

I Also agree with Belle,  also resealed rub rail, lots of spots missing sealer. And if no cover, what about storage bin behind front port seat? If its not sealed up, that will run right down there.

Its just Lots of maintenance.
    Boat Name : 

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    randy56 said:
    If your fresh water pump runs every 15 min there's a small leak somewhere. It should not come on until you call for water. 
    The red and blue pex lines as you know are your hot and cold to sink. In mine there are shut off valves, to the sink in the engine bay. in front of hot water heater, as a process on elimination, shut those two valves, see if pump stays off.

I Also agree with Belle,  also resealed rub rail, lots of spots missing sealer. And if no cover, what about storage bin behind front port seat? If its not sealed up, that will run right down there.

Its just Lots of maintenance.
    Excellent - thank you both for the info - I will shut off those valves, that was exactly what I was looking for... didn't realize they were there. 

Will also check storage bin and rub rail.. 
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Agree with previous info.  The bin behind the seat above gets wavy due to insufficient amount of screws.  I removed and resealed and added a few more screws on the top.  
    edited October 2016
    I'm hoping this is where it's coming from but can't tell at the moment. The carpet was indeed wet again and unfortunately I couldn't find anyway to turn off the water lines that go to the sink :( 

However the storage been is wavy and the sealant absolutely has holes all over it.. I really hope this is it and not the water lines..don't want to have to deal with replacing water lines at all!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you need to isolate it to either rain water or your water lines. Chasing two possibilities is too much. I would cease using the water system for a while and see if that fixes it. If not it's rain. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• boatmandanboatmandan Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Had the same problem and found that the portholes on the port side need to be caulked between the bezel and the white flat frame that leads up to the screen.  Caulked this area and it stopped and how no further problem.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check for leaks under sink on these fittings?
    Boat Name : 

• MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Those are "Flare-it" fittings on the water lines.  I have bought them at a local RV dealer.

http://flairit.com/

Hi there, I did check for water dripping from those spaces... haven't found any evidence yet. 
  • tniggeltniggel Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Check the pressure release valve on hot water tank. Mine was leaking a little last year and was causing the pump to kick on every so often. My hot water tank is on the port side against the firewall which seems to be about where your water leak is located. Also my water pump is mounted to the port side firewall. Hope this helps
  • bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I had the same thing finally figured it out. The windows were leaking. I cleaned all the old caulk around the Windows resealed and no more wet carpet. No I do not remove the Windows 

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

which windows? downstairs right? 
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    @j3ff, just discovered something.   I recently pulled my 270 for the season.  I forgot to empty the fridge and shut it off. Could this be the source of your wet carpet?   The little freezer coil on mine was frosted up good and melted.  Leaving me with water.  Good thing I tilt to the port side, most of the water laid inside fridge.  I did get some out the front, dripping...
  • welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    J3ff  I'm sure you've figured this leak out by now...if not hope this helps.

Had a similar issue on mine last September.  Went downstairs after cruising the lake to a completely soaked carpet and water coming out of the locker(everything soaked).

While out cruising the cold water fitting under head sink literally unscrewed and emptied what was a full water tank, spraying the water up the wall and into the locker. It took a few minutes to figure it out as you have to pull the storage front off and be a contortionist to get to the fittings.

Plan to replace the faucet with one  having a little taller spout, get rid of the crackerjack stock fittings used and replumb with real PEX fittings prior to launch. Going to check and replace all other fittings if necessary. 
    Thanks wellis, unfortunately I haven't figured this one out yet.  I sealed the storage behind the seat up over the winter, but that didn't seem to fix it as the carpet is wet right now..   this side is over where the "kitchen" sink is.. but I don't see any leaks in there.. 

Also right now I have pink water in the fresh water tank as I haven't flushed it out and the carpet is not pink..  there doesn't seem to be any evidence of the window leaking, but there is DEF wet carpet down there in the same exact spot. SIGH!! Might have to just get to work on removing all the carpet as I want that gone anyway.. 
    Trashman said:
    @j3ff, just discovered something.   I recently pulled my 270 for the season.  I forgot to empty the fridge and shut it off. Could this be the source of your wet carpet?   The little freezer coil on mine was frosted up good and melted.  Leaving me with water.  Good thing I tilt to the port side, most of the water laid inside fridge.  I did get some out the front, dripping...
    Well that could be it right now, but last year the fridge was disabled because the thermostat was stuck on, so it wouldn't have been that last year.. 
    bigal6030 said:
    I had the same thing finally figured it out. The windows were leaking. I cleaned all the old caulk around the Windows resealed and no more wet carpet. No I do not remove the Windows 
    How did you do this without removing the windows... looks like this is probably the first thing I should go after. I did have some rouge waves hit once while we were tied up and the window took an impact or two.. 
  • MajorAppealMajorAppeal Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Did you every figure this out? We just had a massive. Rain and I got this for the first time ever
    I have not.  I have noticed it isn't as bad lately.. weird. 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a leaky shower sump making a mess when I first got our 342.  Might look at the fridge if it has a tube to take away condensation.  Lots of places to have water come in besides outside.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• QuarterLifeCrisisQuarterLifeCrisis Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Years later any further thoughts on this. I am having this same issue.  Rub rails, shore outlet, windows.  Wanted everyone opinion before going to town on it this weekend.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, yes and yes. Can't go wrong with all the above. A few of us (me included) found the main issue to be the port lights (windows).
    A few also found it to be the mounting screws at the windshield.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Sorry, I've been in so many threads about this I forgot to update it.

Yes, I figured it out, in fact the answer to ONE of my problems was in the first reply.  The sink in the bathroom was where all the water was coming from that was showing up in the mid bilge. One of the lines had a leak in the connection. Replaced that and things were better on the STBD side of the boat...

The Port side which is what is pictured in the first post turned out to be the window above the galley sink. Not sure why everyone seems to have a problem with that one, but thats where it was coming from!! 
    Well **** it, the carpet is wet today again after last nights super heavy rain.. Went all last summer with no wet carpet.  :'(
    This problem is back and it's easily twice as worse as before. 

has anyone just taped over certain parts of the boat to see if it's that part before tearing into things? 

Going to have to solve this before living on it! May just pull the carpets out as well. Hate the shag look. 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    The bad part is water is getting into other places too and possibly causing rott ect.  It's not just the carpet getting wet.  I have the same problem and it's ongoing.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think/hope I'm on track to solving mine...and it seems to drip out if the midship ceiling. ...and not off it, out of it...cover on no leak ....cover off I get the leak. So....after pulling the window out by the helm seat, just don't see where...I put a plastic bag under the trash bin lid- poured and no leak....there is a pan below the the suck/bin and I think it is leaking through that pan somewhere and through the deck...
    I'm going to try and use some painters tape and cover things with plastic one thing at a time till it stops happening. So annoying.